Pasta : What type do you prefer and buy?

I’m fascinated by the origin of a particular dish: Spaghetti alla Napoletana, Tagliatelle alla Bolognese…
or a Chef’s creation for someone famous: Steak Rossini, Peach Melba…
It means that it has taken a cook a lot of thought, and time, and skill, to blend and mix and create a particular dish in a way which brings out the best flavour, the best taste, from all the ingredients.

Yes, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, aubergines…and even cocoa and coffee have come to Italy by way of the
‘Discovery’ of America, but are now an integral part of Italian cooking.

And yes, it is incorrect to speak of ‘Italy’ before 1870, when the troops of Garibaldi stormed Rome and a Nation was created. But how else can we be understood of which place we are talking about?
The place was divided in States, each with its own dialect, usage, and ‘cooking’ and we are all the better for the wealth of regional dishes we have inherited.

5 Likes

I’ve bought a Phillips pasta maker, that you just add the ingredients to and it mixes, kneads and then extrudes as pasta. After a few false starts I think I’ve got it down now to add extra water so that it doesn’t go into fault mode. The difference in taste with making my own pasta is really high. Even though it’s extruded rather than rolled, it still tastes way better than dried pasta on the shelf.

4 Likes

@denhaml Nothing beats home made . That’s for sure .

3 Likes

Errata corrige: coffee did not originate in South America. It was introduced there by the Europeans, and coltivated with great success.

I came across Rana fresh pasta in Coles a month ago.

It is made in Italy and it is claimed to be the top selling fresh pasta brand in Italy.

We have so far tried the Four Cheese Ravioli and the Porcini Mushroom Ravioli and we have a packet of Feta and Kalamata Olives Tortellini in the fridge to try, along with 2 packets of each of the previously mentioned ravioli,

We eat them with Rana Parmigiano Reggiano Sauce with some cream added to it.

Absolutely delicious and the locally made fresh pasta and pasta sauces such as Latina are no comparison to it.

2 Likes

Which pasta brands are big in Italy?

2 Likes

It is subscriber only content.

Googling pasta makers in Italy shows so many ‘Pastifici’! It used to be that each region had its own favourite, usually a locally made one. But, of course, supermarkets have changed the scenario.
Fresh pasta used to be made at home,
now it’s easily bought ready made.
Barilla also comes under other brand names, having taken over a few manufacturers.
It is the one I select at the supermarket and also at the Italian grocery stores having been always disappointed by other brands.

1 Like

Noted @Fred123.

It let me in originally for free from a google search. The key data point is Barilla is dominant in the market.

Rana is not listed in the top brands of pasta products. That does not suggest the products are not good. You have your own first hand account to refer to.

It may be a consequence of how others describe ‘fresh pasta brands’ and products? It may be that in the market for prepackaged filled pasta products Rana is large, but in Italy is still small overall as Italians still prefer to make their own sauces and fillings for tortellini, ravioli etc? Noted that Rana exports to the UK and has a factory in the USA according to it’s web site.

Although fresh pasta in the eyes of some can only be like what we purchased handmade from Del Santos in Ayr?

An alternate source and view point on Italy and pasta brands which should open.

I just wonder about the value of claims that spin ‘top selling’ when used by any super market chain to promote a product? The proof as you noted is in the pleasure derived?

It may be good, it may be average.
Eg Toyota Corolla yr 2005 top selling small car vs a Subaru WRX STI or the best seller for the year the Toyota Hilux! Is that a V8 rumble I can here in the background? :wink:

1 Like

The 5 brands in that article are all dried pasta products.

Rana states that it is the No1 fresh pasta in Italy.

The Australian distributor, Conga Foods, claims that Rana is the No. 1 fresh filled pasta brand in Europe, and the largest manufacturer of fresh filled pasta in the world.

https://www.congafoods.com.au/brand/rana/

Rana’s USA operation offers a vastly greater range than what is available in Australia, but surprisingly, the Parmigiano Reggiano Sauce is not listed.

Risky claims to make in Australia by Rana and Conga Foods if untrue. I can already hear the ACCC growling. Meow. Meow.

What’s the best spaghetti? Check out our latest review to find out:

See all the results, where did your favourite pasta rank?

5 Likes

We only buy Australian made Guzzi’s egg pasta, but as the Choice articles were only for spaghetti which Guzzi’s do not make, they are not included.

Perhaps next time Choice might do a broader test?

6 Likes

San Remo and Vetta for me .

5 Likes

Hey Choice testers and tasters
A great survey of spaghetti in the February issue. You have tested all things except the taste test. Yes it is important to check the nutrition and cooking results, but I would really like to know which one(s) tasted good enough to EAT? I love my pasta, and happy to find suggestions for improvement anywhere, (thanks for the Spag Bol recipe Fiona!) so would love to know will the taste compliment my glass or red or not?? Or is there a page missing from my issue??

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @patfrank

I have moved your topic/post into the topic that covers the pasta results you saw in the magazine. Hopefully you will find some information here to help with your questions. I am also sure some of the Wine lovers here will give you some great feedback on what goes with what.

4 Likes

Spaghetti/pasta…great review guys, lots of product compared and recommendations made, but was there page missing from my magazine? There was no taste test!!! I acknowledge importance of nutrition and ease of cooking and adequate instructions, but I would like to know the results of the taste testers taste buds.

3 Likes

FWIW. My pasta takes on the taste of its condiment.
The different shapes can make a difference as to the type of sauce to be used: a lighter one for Angel Hair, a richer one for Macaroni, etc.
unless wheat-free, pasta nowadays is made from durum wheat, there could be a difference in the cooking time but a very negligible difference in taste, IMO.

4 Likes

Hi @patfrank

I have moved your post into the topic that covers that review you reference. Again, like your previous post I hope you get some helpful responses.

3 Likes

Choice considered that The spaghettis we tested are made from essentially just one ingredient, durum wheat semolina, and any variation in taste between products is extremely subtle.

Tests usually have a ‘how we test’ that explains the methodology, as posted previously by Choice staff.

FWIW I also find certain brands to be ‘subtly better’ tasting than others but it is subtle and may not withstand objective scrutiny because of that.

5 Likes

My wife saw an unusual pasta sauce recipe on the TV recently which she wanted to try so I found the recipe online.

The whole idea seemed unappealing to me and sounded like some sort of “impossible cake”.

However, my wife cooked it and it was surprisingly tasty.

3 Likes