CHOICE membership

Pasta : What type do you prefer and buy?

buying-survey

I’m fascinated by the origin of a particular dish: Spaghetti alla Napoletana, Tagliatelle alla Bolognese…
or a Chef’s creation for someone famous: Steak Rossini, Peach Melba…
It means that it has taken a cook a lot of thought, and time, and skill, to blend and mix and create a particular dish in a way which brings out the best flavour, the best taste, from all the ingredients.

Yes, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, aubergines…and even cocoa and coffee have come to Italy by way of the
‘Discovery’ of America, but are now an integral part of Italian cooking.

And yes, it is incorrect to speak of ‘Italy’ before 1870, when the troops of Garibaldi stormed Rome and a Nation was created. But how else can we be understood of which place we are talking about?
The place was divided in States, each with its own dialect, usage, and ‘cooking’ and we are all the better for the wealth of regional dishes we have inherited.

I’ve bought a Phillips pasta maker, that you just add the ingredients to and it mixes, kneads and then extrudes as pasta. After a few false starts I think I’ve got it down now to add extra water so that it doesn’t go into fault mode. The difference in taste with making my own pasta is really high. Even though it’s extruded rather than rolled, it still tastes way better than dried pasta on the shelf.

@denhaml Nothing beats home made . That’s for sure .

Errata corrige: coffee did not originate in South America. It was introduced there by the Europeans, and coltivated with great success.

I came across Rana fresh pasta in Coles a month ago.

It is made in Italy and it is claimed to be the top selling fresh pasta brand in Italy.

We have so far tried the Four Cheese Ravioli and the Porcini Mushroom Ravioli and we have a packet of Feta and Kalamata Olives Tortellini in the fridge to try, along with 2 packets of each of the previously mentioned ravioli,

We eat them with Rana Parmigiano Reggiano Sauce with some cream added to it.

Absolutely delicious and the locally made fresh pasta and pasta sauces such as Latina are no comparison to it.

Which pasta brands are big in Italy?