Paper warranties supplied with new goods

I just purchased an electronic item. As usual it came with the one page, 12 month repair warranty. They point out that it is not mandatory to fill out and send in but is there any real advantage in doing this? Obviously my receipt and point of purchase serves any warranty issues that could arise. The concern is that I go on another database but I wonder if it would carry any weight if the item required a warranty issue just outside the date?
If there is no real reason to fill them out then why do manufacturers keep putting them in the box with the items? The manufacturers must get a lot of information from their distributors so I can’t see the point. Any suggestions?

5 Likes

The only advantage I can see is if there is a product recall
hopefully the manufacturer uses contact details on their database to directly contact consumers who have bought the recalled product.

Another potential advantage is if one is poor at managing receipts etc, it can be a place to store a proof of purchase should it later be needed.

If one choses to use the product registration which is becoming jore commonly available, it is worth reading the privacy policy of the company to make sure you are happy with how the information may be used. If they don’t have a privacy policy, this would be a trigger not to give such details.

4 Likes

We have found several retailers, Godfrey one example are more than happy to rely on pulling your purchase up from their customer records database. That is independent of joining any loyalty club. Although full receipts issued may include the customers name, phone and other details requested at the time of sale.

Sometimes retailers close unexpectedly, EG Solar PV supplier/installer. Having a fall back to the importer or Australian OEM distributor/agency is always important. We keep invoices and payment receipts reliably for all major purchases. On line registration where offered is also used selectively. EG Split system air conditioners.

I’ve ignored minor purchases and the numerous cashless transactions we seem to make in place of cash.

4 Likes

Maybe its better not to register the product. When you do that you are sharing your information and if the manufacturer had a data breach your details may go far and wide. Keep the receipt, I scan them and store them in a warranty folder, then if something does go wrong with your product, you have your proof of purchase.

3 Likes

Regarding enclosed warranty / guarantee with goods purchased.
I purchased on line from MYERS at Carindale Queensland.
Goods received all in good order - BUT NO PAPERWORK from MYERS. (Invoice or packing slip)
Requested an Invoice from MYERS.
Refused and told to print my “On-Line Order” and use this if I needed to claim against the 10 year guarantee from the manufacturer.
The only problem is the “Order” has in bold capitol letters. “THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE”

My problem is the manufacturer requires a copy of the “Purchase Invoice” to accompany any claim for repairs.

2 Likes

Hi @Torque, welcome to the community.

The ACCC has the following online guide.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/prices-surcharges-receipts/receipts-proof-of-purchase

There is a requirement for a supplier to provide a receipt for all purchases over $75 with the following stipulations.
Businesses must always give you a receipt (or similar proof of purchase) for anything over $75. If they don’t, ask for one. You also have the right to request a receipt for anything under $75 and the receipt must be given within seven days of asking.

The receipt must include the:

• supplier’s name and ABN or ACN
  • date of supply
  • product or service, and
  • price.

Perhaps the Myer online order information meets these requirements. If not write to Myer (email) quoting the extract relating to receipts, ACL and the link to the ACCC web site. It’s a legal obligation.

Proof of purchase the ACCC suggests any number of possible options. These include a receipt with the previous details. Refer to the previous link for further details. An invoice is not the only option according to the ACCC.

Note that for warranty purposes under ACL the first responsibility is with the seller. Myer cannot fob you off to the manufacturer. How Myer’s T&C’s as well as the product has been promoted there is guidance on how manufacturers warranties as well as statutory warranties apply.

1 Like

@Torque, all you should need is the confirmation details as Myer has provided as part of the online process. That gives the order and confirm details, date, details of what was ordered and the cost. Couple that with a bank or credit card statement showing the payment, and that is proof of purchase under consumer law.
I can also add that the order confirmation says that it is not an invoice, because it is not. You have already paid.

One doesn’t need a ‘purchase invoice’ to make a warranty claim. All one needs is a proof of purchase or a purchase record and this can be bank statement, online order confirmation, receipt, tax invoice etc.

The ACCC outlined what proof of purchases can be used:

An online purchase confirmation with an order or reference number satisfies the requirement as a purchase record for future warranty claims, should it be needed.

While I haven’t used Myer Online, many business provide a Tax Invoice at the last step of the purchase chain
immediately after one submits the order and payment is confirmed. This webpage should be printed off if one needs a Tax Invoice say for claiming GST credits or reimbursement from one’s employer.

4 Likes