Paper Straws need a redesign!

Paper straws are one of those things that sound good in principle but upon closer inspection and actually using them, one is infuriated by their poor design.

For example, the other day purchased some juice boxes from Aldi of the Westcliff brand (topical fruit drink)
They’re OK at best, and downright shonky at worst (hint hint).
I mean, I totally understand why companies want to go about this: environmental reasons like reducing plastic, but at least make sure it’s actually good and won’t get soggy the more you drink out of it. Also the part that’s meant to bend just doesn’t.
The icing on the cake is that it’s harder to drink from when you want a good strong sip.

Interested in the community’s experiences with this

Paper straws do have limitations and paper softens in contact with water.

It is very easy to avoid straws all together. Buy products which don’t need straws. A very simple solution and not impossible to achieve.

4 Likes

Thanks @phb

1 Like

In my day as a child, all paper straws (before plastic came onto the market) were wax coated just as baking paper is today.
They did not become soggy and felt smooth not rough in the mouth.
How hard could it be to go back to the 60’s and 70’s and do what was done then?

5 Likes

You beat me to it. I remember those straws and somehow they were much more pleasant than the plastic rubbish.

3 Likes

We’ve had no issues with the thick walked paper straws used by several of the take-away and fast food icons. Typically provided with their cold drink selections.

An alternative are washable straws. We’ve used 2 different designs. One design came in a pack of 3 with a stainless main tube and a short silicon rubber top. Cleaning brush included, they were the easiest and preferred choice for our mum in aged care.

3 Likes

Apparently you don’t wear lipstick.

4 Likes

I’ not sure how they can do bendy paper straws that work, but in NSW at least they aren’t required to replace the plastic straws on these drink packs till 1 January 2025. Maybe there is another state that has already banned them and it is easier to make them all the same rather than produce two types of straws depending on where the product may end up.

3 Likes

Our lived experience of young children, or the limitations of being old and in aged care, or even in hospital requiring assistance with eating and drinking suggest there are still needs for straws.

:grin:
What would Revlon suggest?
Certainly a challenge just asking to be turned into a new product. Would it pass the champagne glass test?

2 Likes

There are bendable paper straws available.

For small drink boxes, there may not be the need to bendy paper straws like the plastic ones currently on small drink containers. The alternative is to use a straw which can be extended by two smaller straws, one inside the other. The inner straw is slightly tapered which creates a seal when the straw is extended.

2 Likes

So you are saying that you can’t drink without a straw when you wear lipstick. Hardly think so, every cafe, wine bar, restaurant etc has lipstick wearers who drink wine, beer, champers, tea, coffee etc very successfully without a straw. A straw isn’t needed and is possibly used on occasion because it is a habit (no different to some needing to accompany a drink with a smoke) or because it is in the drink/available when the drink is purchased.

The only difference between having a straw and being strawless is where residual lipstick may be deposited. For straw drinkers it is on the straw, for the strawless, it is on the lip of the container containing the liquid being consumed.

4 Likes

Although drinking through a straw can be helpful to those with swallowing disabilities etc., in general it has more negative than positive effects:

Can contribute to lip wrinkles (Pursing of the lips).

Bloating (The straw captures air causing gas and bloating).

Cavities (Sends most of the sugar and acid in the drink to the molars which are prone to cavities).

Staining of the back teeth.

It’s popular with young girls who believe that guys think that girls drinking out of straws is sexy :roll_eyes:

BTW even paper straws are not all that eco-friendly: they end up in landfill.
I believe that if found in organic waste loads they are treated as contamination by the processors.

2 Likes

I don’t think I said that.

[Adjusting the drag and applying a little more pressure to the rod as the run begins …]

3 Likes

That company has filed for a type of bankruptcy which if the court doesn’t approve means goodbye forever to Revlon.
The above question could mean to them something new and fresh to think about,
a welcome change? :laughing:

2 Likes

True, (USA - Chapter 11).
Says a lot about their customers preferences when working from home and not going out as often.
They may yet be saved if more take up the call to return to the office, go out more often, and go strawless.

I still wonder how when I am older and can no longer safely raise a cup to my lips I’ll be able to get refreshment without using a straw. I suspect there will always be straws in one form or another.

1 Like

I remember watching a subtitled movie on SBS some time ago, a teapot was being used to feed an elderly invalid, the spout used as a straw.
Apparently a very ancient and proven way to give liquid nutrition to those struggling to get any otherwise. But who knows what they’ll come up with in the very… far…distant future we’ll need to be fed :laughing::rofl:

2 Likes

Here is another possibility

But they will eventually break down. Plastic won’t.

No they don’t.

1. Don’t use straws
  2. Use stainless steel
1 Like

Totally agree. I only knew about waxed paper straws in my youth, but then that was 80 years ago. But they were fine!

1 Like