Paper shredders review

We review paper shredders (member content) to see which ones are quick, reliable and the easiest to use. There’s also our paper shredder buying guide to help you find the best machine for your needs.

Have something to share about paper shredders? Leave a comment below.

2 Likes

We have a Rexel 50X cross-shredder. (Looks like the Rexel Auto+ 60X)

Multiple A4 and smaller pages can be laid down in under the lid, or small quantities can be fed in via the slot on the top. It functions very well.

The first criticism I have is of the drawer that catches the shredded paper. It is not designed to disperse the paper throughout the drawer. Consequently the paper conglomerates immediately under the bottom of the shredder outlet until the machine registers as ‘full’. Only it isn’t. The middle half is, but the front & back quarters of the drawer are empty. If you want to keep going, the drawer can be opened and the shredded contents have to be distributed away from the centre. The machine can then work for a while longer. But, seeing the drawer is open, it is more efficient to just pull it out and empty it then and there. So in reality while the drawer may be able to hold 15L or so, in reality, it only holds half of that.

To exacerbate the drawer situation, taking the drawer out results in quite an amount of shredded detritus being left in the bottom of the drawer housing and also spilling out onto the floor. This must be cleaned out (and up) every time before the drawer goes back in.

The best thing about the shredder is that the shredded paper goes straight to the chooks as nesting material. Recycling the recycling. A fitting end to the old tax paperwork, and invoices etc. we don’t need any more.

3 Likes

I’ve got the oldest 5 sheet jobby - it does ok. I’m not expecting Iranian students to be reassembling mine any time soon - they go straight to the mulch bin or garden.

1 Like

I am old school and use an ancient method of shredding using these 🖑🖐.

An alternative is to soak the paper in a bucket containing a weak detergent mix overnight and then stir. The paper will break down into pulp and can be put in the compost bin or used to make new craft/wrapping paper. This method it is impossible to reconstruct the original.

Or a less green method it to burn it.

4 Likes

I bought a shredder from Aldi a few years ago. We had a straight shredder, but I wanted the security of something that did cross-cut.

This thing works well, shreds paper… needs to be cleaned from time to time. Paper tends to accumulate around the blades, so a combination of gently picking out shreds and violently wrenching at them with some sharp instrument tends to be the order of the day.

Other than the need to clean, this thing does a good job and keeps going at it.

I feel your pain. The solution? Unplug the whole thing and carry it outside before attempting to empty the drawer. If possible, put it on top of or inside your recycling bin, and then pull out the drawer. I do this now as a matter of course.

2 Likes

I have an old US 120V Emerson confetti shredder (small cross cuts).

I empty the confetti into a box, and put the box in my recycling bin. Otherwise every time the recycling bin is collected there is confetti in the neighbourhood. It rarely if ever falls out of the bin into the truck as ‘an item’.

1 Like

If it is smaller than about the size of your fist, it should go into your general waste bin.

We have recycling bins (aka yellow), general waste bins (aka red), and compost bin (aka green). Anything paper and cardboard goes into the recycling bins, or for confetti shred, into the wind if just dumped in the bin when the bin is tilted to empty into the truck.

Your call.

Should have said in my previous post that at a materials recovery facility (MRF or recycling plant), most do a pre-screening of all materials placed in the kerbside recycling by trommel (a rotating drum screen). The trommel usually has a screen size of usually 50-75mm. Any materials which would pass through the trommel screen is collected and dumped by the MRF operator.

So, paper particles less than 70mm (which is the diagonal distance of a 50mm screen) will pass through and taken to landfill, thus not recycled at the MRF. Most shredded paper goes through the screen and isn’t recycled. At a small size, it also has the potential to contaminate other recyclable materials such as open containers, jars and bottles, making the value of such recycled materials lower for resale.

It can also be caught up in sorting equipment which can increase maintenance costs and/or reduce efficiency of the sorting process.

The best place for shredded paper is either the compost bin (if one only produces a small amount from time to time), placed under mulch in the garden as a weed suppressant or in the general waste bin if the former two is not possible.

Another option for those producing large quantities of shredded materials is contact your local independent green grocer as some still use shredded paper for displaying produce…and may be interested in taking yours for such purpose.

4 Likes

Aha! Thanks for that. Very educational!

1 Like

“relative security” I’d suggest. ‘unshredder’ software in it’s various flavours makes relatively easy work of reconstructing documents in time-frames that might surprise - even for relatively tightly shredded documents.

For some real level of confidence in the security of destroyed documents I’d suggest use of a standards rated shredder/disintegrator followed by secure transit to a high temperature furnace :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, you are correct. We must all make daily judgement calls on security vs. convenience, and given that I am not undermining national security as far as you know, I feel comfortable that my standard of shredding is adequate.

1 Like

I bought an Aldi Office Pro crosscut shredder a year or so back. May also be known as a Monolith PBS14. No great issues for the price. We are quite happy with it. Have previously used a non-cross cut shredder which filled the bin too quickly. In my mind crosscut is mandatory if for nothing else as a space saving.
Good: compact unit, does CD & credit cards.
Bad: more than 3 CD’s at once will fill the CD bin & start jamming, preventing pulling out the shredder hopper.; Only does credit cards & CDs in very wide slices. Too much credit card survives in each piece. (Is this an issue?)

1 Like

Live and learn… I didn’t know there was such a thing.

I learn so much here.

1 Like

For us living in rural locations we have the absolute best paper destruction device, the slow combustion heater/fireplace. Even the NSA couldn’t reassemble a document from the ash pan.
So effective it is that sometimes family members who live in the city when they visit in the cooler months sometimes bring a sheath of their papers they want destroyed and cast them in too.

2 Likes

You mean that those crime dramas on TV aren’t telling the truth when they pull documents from fires and reconstruct them? (Complete with a full DNA analysis of everyone who ever touched the paper - all within one day.)

Who would have thought? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I would suggest it is prudent to ensure combustion is well involved before relaxing ones guard of the furnace door even slightly :wink: It is surprising what can be done in terms of recovery, and it is also surprising what can survive fire if not prepared correctly, but otherwise I’d agree it is a most satisfying and effective destruction method - and with the right furnace it is not limited to materials normally considered ‘combustible’ …

2 Likes