Packet cake mixes vs homemade

Hi @passerbye123, I was also initially surprised to find that all but one of the banana bread packet mixes we looked at are banana-free - my banana bread review shows the full ingredients lists. You need to add your own bananas when making them, which you’d assume would result in a more authentic tasting banana bread, however it does bump up the final cost. And essentially all you’re really getting in the packet mix is flour, sugar and a raising agent. So much for convenience!

2 Likes

I always make things from scratch using real eggs; that way I know what is in what I make.

1 Like

I generally bake from scratch as I find cake mixes all taste pretty much the same, and aren’t very nice - this view is supported by the teenagers of the house who tend to only have one piece of cake mix baking but eat all the home made stuff within 48 hours …

Having said that, I picked up a couple of Danish cake mixes from Aldi the other week on impulse, and they were really very good! Had to add butter and eggs plus syrup wafers for one cake and apple for another. The cakes disappeared in the same time as my home baking does …

2 Likes

Unlike the many skilled cake bakers who have contributed so far, I am not one. Luckily my gorgeous wife is, and she doesn’t mind baking for us. Lucky me!

On the rare occasions we want/need a cake and I have to contribute, out come the packet cake mix boxes. I always have a few on hand, just in case. If we’re stepping out the closet and revealing all, I have been know to buy shop made cakes too, especially mudcakes! - Yum! :blush:

When I buy the packet mix, I go for the cheap, no name, non-endorsed type. I do not believe it tastes any better because it has someone’s name on the box.

So the bottom line is home made is our first choice for cakes.

2 Likes

I honestly cannot see why people would even consider a packet mix, (if you have taste buds that is) you still have to turn the oven on, why not use fresh ingredients without all the extras and addatives???

2 Likes