OPPO Woolworths phone - 10

I think the problem sounds like the salesperson either had a miscommunication or choose to misunderstand to close the “sale”. I have used and loved my OPPO R7 plus for a year now, but I’d never expect/try to have it sync with apps in the Apple ecosystem. Apple simply do not make their apps and such way to integrate with non Apple things, by design.

My OPPO has great note taking ability, calendar, contacts etc - however they are all android/Google apps/systems.

2 Likes

Make a claim for your phone through your State’s “Small Claims” process, this may prove the way to get Woolworths to move on severing your contract and compensating you for the distress etc you have suffered.

1 Like

Thanks Ben, I signed the 24 month service contract for the ‘free phone’ as I was assured this OPPO would sync with my old imac. I didn’t disbelieve it as my samsung didn’t have any problems. I’m glad you have more joy from your OPPO.
However even when the salesperson gave me android apps to download they did not work - and the calendar on OPPO changes ‘repeat’ dates ie classes or work schedules from the past and into the future - every date/time changes every time one date is changed. This completely messed up so many things - missed appointments, pay hours, classes.
I don’t know how you manage yours but this was one of the many issues with OPPO that made me crazy.

Cheers grahroll, waiting for the TIO - telecommunications ombudsman verdict first.
However I need to be able to use a phone!
Do I have to get Another SIM card and get a New number to have a phone?

2 Likes

Hi Wend

If you need to use your iPhone you can try the current SIM card in it if it fits (you may need to change the size by either making it smaller to micro or nano or larger to micro or normal depending on what your iPhone uses). It doesn’t matter what SIM your phone is in, it should just work. If you can’t get it to fit then you will need a new SIM and number from a provider. The reason for the new number is that at the moment Woolworths will not allow your number to be ported from them until your contract issue is resolved.

If you need to make the current SIM larger just get a cheap SIM and punch out the parts that you don’t need and insert your SIM into the surround you need to make it the correct size. Then slide this into the phone, it can be a bit fiddly to keep it together but you should be able to get it in.

4 Likes

…unless the phone is networked locked to another network…

2 Likes

Ahh sorry forgot about that little (big) issue. But you can get your phone unlocked (some providers charge a fee some do not charge). Thank you @PhilT for picking up my error there.

1 Like

Thanks Gentlemen,
I did buy a new sim prepaid and put it in the old iphone. When online trying to activate it and transfer my number I was asked who current provider was - said woolworths/oppo and result was oppo phone stopped working and iphone was not connected.
So do I get another sim and put it in the iphone and request new number?
Is there an obligation from woolworths to not deprive me of an essential service?
how can I get a working phone?

1 Like

You need to check again if the number has been ported (it can take several days) by trying your iphone again with the new SIM in it. If it isn’t try your OPPO with it’s old SIM in it (if it is working move down to the part about using it in your iphone), if it isn’t you need to ring Woolworths and get them to check if they still have your number, if they do and your SIM in the OPPO isn’t working you may need to get a new Woolworths SIM and get them to activate it with your old number.

IPHONE INSTRUCTIONS
Once they have done this (or your old SIM from OPPO is working) and you want to use your iphone make sure your iphone is not provider locked and if it is unlocked put the Woolworths SIM in that. If it is locked to a provider you will need to get it unlocked by that provider eg Vodaphone, or Optus. Though if the iphone was with Telstra it will not need to be unlocked as Woolworths uses the Telstra network.

Woolworths might argue that they haven’t deprived you of a phone service. You could ring out and could receive calls until you tried changing your phone number to a new provider. They might also argue that this broke your contract with them and you have to pay the contract (including phone cost) out. This is part of your dispute that the phone did not work as required but you as above stated have to await the outcome of the TIO investigation.

In the meantime while awaiting the decision you can put the SIM in any phone you want to use as long as the phone either is locked to the Telstra Network or is unlocked. You do not need to currently use a new SIM.

4 Likes

Hi @Wend, because your telephone number can only be associated with a single SIM card, your new provider needs to communicate with your old provider. The process for old provider to release your number, and then new provider to be able to start using it is not instantaneous.

Your new SIM provider should have given you some indication of how long it might take.

The last time I switched providers, I was told that it could take up to 48 hours, but it took less than 3.

5 Likes

Thanks Scott
Am in dispute with OPPO / Woolworths - waiting for obudsman decision so am probably locked in with OPPO / woolworths. The new sim is prepaid - have waited over 48 hours and nothing! I’ve contacted the woolworths person letting them know what happened and why. Also that I do not have any phone service - no response yet from woolworths.

1 Like

As above @Wend the SIM is not phone specific, it can be removed and used in any phone you desire, you may need to change the size of the SIM as outlined in a previous post of mine to get it to fit in the phone.

The phone however does need to be what they term “Unlocked” ie not set to a specific provider or you need to get the phone unlocked (unless it is locked to the same network).

3 Likes

Sim fits, ‘activated’ on line. Email confirmed number was transfered and ready to go - no service. This is prepaid sim from ALDI.
No idea what this prepaid sim’s network is. Phone cannot be locked to specific provider as is 6 years old and has not been used for 3 years. So can only assume number is locked into oppo / woolworths contract with whom I am in dispute with.

Hi @Wend, ALDI SIMs use the Telstra network.

Also should have mentioned that if the phone was network-locked at the time of purchase, it will still be locked. The lock doesn’t expire with age or usage.

1 Like

Hi Scott,
Thanks for that. Phone was purchased on plan through Virgin. Do I need to return to Virgin or Optus? to have the phone unlocked?

Hi @Wend, according to Virgin, phones purchased through them are not locked, so you should be good to go, as soon as Telstra/ALDI get the go-ahead to port your number and activate the SIM.

https://community.virginmobile.com.au/t5/Support-Articles/How-to-unlock-or-restore-your-Apple-iPhone/ta-p/80

Thanks Scott,
It seems I will have to visit an Apple store. Did I understand correctly - I cannot use the phone, so need to update the phone by accessing itunes on the phone I cannot use…
sorry not IT savvy.

Hi @Wend, I’m not an iPhone user, but what I understood from the Virgin webpage was that you need to connect the iPhone to a computer that has iTunes installed. iTunes will then ensure that the iPhone has the latest software installed.

1 Like

No need to visit Apple. The phones from Virgin are unlocked according to Scott’s post so no need to unlock it and if it was “Locked” you would need to visit a Virgin Store.

I think the issue with no service is because you are on a plan with Woolworths and they will not release your number until the plan is cancelled.

I suggest you ring their Customer Care line on 1300 10 1234 option 5 (normal charges apply) between

8am to 8pm Monday-Friday (AEST/AEDT),

9am to 5pm Saturday

10am to 5pm Sunday

9am to 5pm (AEST/AEDT) National Public Holidays

and then ask them to cancel the porting of the number and check if you need to get a new SIM from Woolworths and re-activate the number with them. Use the SIM from the OPPO if they tell you it is still ok to use (don’t use the OPPO just use it’s SIM), or if you had to get a new Woolworths SIM use that new one, in your iPhone. Don’t use the current ALDI one.

That should let you get back to phoning for the moment. Back up all the data from your iPhone to the iCloud. Next, buy yourself a new SIM from whomever you want to use eg ALDI and register and activate it on the OPPO but DO NOT ask to transfer your old number, it will give you a new number. Then let all your contacts know your new number. Once you have informed everyone of your new number, take the new SIM out of the OPPO and put it in your iPhone. Finally recover your iPhone data backup from the iCloud.

2 Likes