Online food labelling

I have just tried “to let my fingers do the walking” in relation to Tuscan sausages (this is how the Internet can sabotage your day…) as a result of a recipe I liked the look of: discovered that attempting to compare the W/worths & Coles versions was vastly different.
W/w sell a branded sausage, Coles a Home Brand - what a difference in online product information!

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-national/product/coles-finest-sausages-italian-pork

So, I have sent Coles an email complaining about the lousy nutritional & ingredient data access online for their pork sausage, also included that I am a CHOICE subscriber & a member of C/Community - and that I would be sharing my complaint with the Community… and any response/s from them.
Should full nutritional/ingredient/health star food product labelling be a legal requirement for online stores, as it is in traditional stores?

7 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

Here’s the recipe FYI (UK winter, but celeriac is in season here…)

2 Likes

Whatever information is on the product packaging - such that you would have access to that information if buying in person in the store - should be available on the web site.

Woolworths does seem to be significantly ahead of Coles for that pair of comparable products.

Buy the product from Woolworths to reward them for providing a better service?

4 Likes

A news article that has looked into the online shopping information provided by Coles and Woolworths. It has described how it appears that the big 2 are failing to properly provide information that in store is a requirement e.g. health stars, nutrition panels and similar. Both Supermarkets responded in the article, both stating they are committed to providing the customer with all the information required to make informed choices.

How true are the claims and counter claims?

The study that the news article was based on can be read at

2 Likes

I guess: provide a specific example of a product online (URL) where the information is either missing or does not match what is on the actual packaging. Anyone should be able to go to the relevant web page and confirm or refute the claim (as far as the information’s being missing goes).

It seems that the claims are that the supermarkets don’t provide physical information on their websites.

We have found that while the webpage content may not always have nutritional information, stars and sometimes ingredients, the supermarkets take photographs of different sides of the products showing the information in question. This information can be readily seen when clicking on the product photographs - which we often do when looking at prices and alternative products.

I wonder if it is trying to argue a technicality that is isn’t separately shown in webpage content rather than whether the information is available. If the webpage content is to show the information, does this mean that in store the supermarkets need to place the same information on shelf labelling as this would also not meet this ‘technicality’ in presenting information.

Looking at the study’s methodology, it appears that almost if not all food items provided by both chains were looked at. Was the criteria too strict, such as @phb noting that pictures are provided that show the information, but the study discarded images as they may be too difficult for a vision impaired person to study/read. HSR seems to have been largely recorded by Woolworths but severely lacking by Coles. Country of Origin information was 100% for Coles and 86% for Woolworths. Coles was very high in Nutrition Information (NIP), Allergens and Ingredients declaration, with NIP and Ingredients achieving 100% and 97% for Allergens, but in the study found Woolworths had very poor results (2% for NIP, 19% for ingredients, and 0% for allergens).

1 Like

I find it surprising why images would be discarded as the same would apply to seeing the labels in store. They seem to be applying a different standard/expectation to online purchases.

It is also worth noting that we often find that looking at online label images is easier than in store - the online photos of labels can easier to view as they can be enlarged to increase their size - in store this can’t be done unless one takes a magnifying glass. For online photos they also appear to increase contrast of font and background colours - real labels in store the fonts often blend into the background.

1 Like

au contraire although a technicality - taking a photo of a label with a venerable smart phone produces an image that can be scaled in hand. Had to do that more than once :expressionless:

2 Likes

Speaking hypothetically, the potential for what can be done online will always far exceed the potential for what can be done on a printed pack label. So you can definitely have a different “expectation”. Whether that should translate into a requirement is another question.

I think the real failure here is data standards. It shouldn’t be that hard, right? You have a standard for expressing product information. The manufacturer of the product is responsible for compiling and publishing that information in that format. Because it’s a standard, both Coles and Woolworths can import that format.

It seems as if that isn’t happening. So instead sometimes Colesworth just photographs the information on the pack.

There are limits to how well a photographed image can be magnified - particularly if already scaled down to “web resolution”. A typical such image is not inherently scalable. I can see why the authors of the study think that this is a fairly crappy approach.

Likewise there are limits to how well an image on your smart phone can be “zoomed”. (Most smart phones don’t have much if any optical zoom capability. So it’s mostly digital zoom, and at high magnifications the image quality degrades badly.)

Sometimes. That’s a separate problem though.

I would think that, long term, manufacturers will push to be exempt from having to put all that information on the pack at all. Instead there will be a QR code that leads you to the information. (I recognise clearly that that would disadvantage those who don’t adopt technology, and I am not suggesting it is equitable, only that this could be what manufacturers will push for when “everyone” has a smartphone.)

The supermarket might then have a different QR code on the electronic shelf label that leads to the supermarket’s web site, but leads to the same information (but can also include the price).

Or the supermarket might “insist” that you use their app so that they can provide pricing that is unique to you (dodgy dodgy dodgy) and also track you more (dodgy dodgy dodgy).

2 Likes

It is an expectation rather than a requirement. The food labelling standards (Standard 1.2.1) and others are about labelling on the food product. Not, information which must be provided online.

If they expect the standard to be applied to online sales, then one could easily argue that it should be extended to letters, offers, catalogues, brochures etc whether online or in publish form.

There are many retailers where consumers can make online food purchases or purchase decisions, which don’t have any images which show information on the product labelling. At least the two which were singled out for special attention, provide images of product labelling with the information.

I suppose government could change the standards/legislation to capture food products sold online, that being a transcription of information from labels to be presented in website content. I expect this will have significant impact on many online retailers (both in Australia or overseas).

3 Likes

It should be a minimum, and needs to also cover click and collect ordering. It’s an inconvenience to both the purchaser/consumer and seller if the ingredients or other product details are unacceptable.

Has the seller met their consumer law obligations if they did not provide all the product details prior to purchase?

Is it the consumers responsibility to look to other than the sellers web site and assume details found elsewhere can be relied upon as part of the consumer guarantees?

It’s poor customer service if there are product details missing when selecting a product from their web site. Or the details are difficult to find or read.

In certain instances it may be reasonable for a customer to ask for more if about to purchase a $1000 home appliance. Not so practical if one is making up an order for 50-100 items for the supermarket and there are multiple $2 items that are of concern. Allergens, dietary needs, country of origin, etc can all be important. For seafood products the source fishery and variety of fish can be the difference between safe and high risk. Product information needs to be complete, detailed and reliable.

They have met their legal obligations.

Labelling has traditionally been the responsibility of the food manufacturer, not the retailer. The exception being where food is prepared and sold on the premises (such as fast food outlets). The food manufacturer should be responsible for ensuring that their labels are correct and contain necessary information is complete as they know what is in their food and what it’s nutritional value is. A retailer isn’t responsible for such information.

What is then proposed is to transfer the product information requirements to the retailer. This will be administrative nightmare as each time a product is delivered, all information on the label will need to be compared with what the retailer posts online. If it isn’t checked and there is a discrepancy, someone is likely to take action - a consumer if they are injured by the food or the regulator as the information isn’t correct.

While some larger food manufactures might be willing to share digital information from the label, it still requires the retailer to upload and maintain the currency of their website information - still a burden as they need to be checked to determine changes and that the information corresponds to the product.

Smaller manufacturers don’t operate in such an environment where digital information can be readily communicated. Such a change may result in smaller manufacturers being squeezed out of the market place.

If the manufacture fails to provide updates, who will be responsible - finger pointing exercise starts. A retailer shouldn’t be responsible as they aren’t responsible for information that is required to be displayed on products.

And there are imported goods or goods from small businesses. If they make a small change, are they responsible for trying to find every seller or on-seller of their products to ensure that website content is updated. Good luck to them in succeeding with getting every retailer to update their websites.

These are a few of the challenges and why what is proposed is unreasonable.

Hence what I proposed above. So that responsibility remains with the manufacturer and it is not a nightmare.

It still won’t work for the reasons outlined above.

There are more than Woolworths and Coles which sell products that must comply with the labelling standards.

There are far more food manufacturers other than larger businesses which might be able to share electronic formats of labelling.

If we assume there was only Coles and Woolworths that only sold products from large (multinational) food manufacturers, then it has a slight potential to work. Unfortunately reality is very different and hoping for unreasonable expectations is doomed for failure even before it would start.

The only solution I could see that might partly work is to have links to manufacturer websites that present the required information. There are still issues with broken links and manufacturers, especially foreign or smaller, who don’t have online presence. Such an approach would be seen to be doing something.

Those businesses which have taken steps to deliver products through online marketing should have realised they need to provide reliable and complete information on the products they sell. Saying something won’t work comes down to a personal view point. It seems out of character that we should even be offering a view that supports a business doing less because they are selling through a web page than if the customer is in a real store.

History says:
Consumers and their organisations Choice being the one I know best took many years to see governments deliver the latest version of the ACL. When it comes to consumers exercising warranty rights, or rulings against product claims which are deceptive or misleading it’s the seller (retailer) whom the ACL holds accountable. No more can retailers callously raise an upraised finger and say it’s the manufacturers or suppliers problem. Even with food product recalls, returning to the place of purchase for a full refund is a fundamental consumer right.

For the retailers selling food products through online marketing and ordering, a similar evolution of consumer rights needs to be supported. The ACL has been continually improved. Consumer needs change as do products and businesses.

When a retailer sells a product to a customer in store or online consumers should have equal access to the same information. To do so online stores need to ensure they provide the full product details are presented/available alongside the product. The quality of the information and way in which it is presented should ensure the consumer is full informed as to what is being offered. As consumers we have every right to ask for more and set the standards.

It’s central to what consumer organisations stand for.

They do, the two supermarkets in question photograph the product provided for sale and show labels which manufacturers are required to have on their products. They don’t have any legal requirement to do such, but have chosen to do so.

We are talking about 2 different businesses. The first being those which manufacturers food products, but doesn’t retail them. They don’t sell online but may or may not have an online presence. These businesses are responsible for the products they make, including meeting statutory, labelling or stewardship requirements.

The second being those who don’t manufacture food products, but retail food products manufactured by others. Some buy direct from the manufacturer, others through wholesalers or distributors. These businesses may sell online. These businesses have different statutory requirements and aren’t responsible for product labelling.

What is being proposed is the second business being responsible for part of the statutory, labelling or stewardship requirements of the first, for which they have never had in the past responsibility for.

It doesn’t change consumer rights. Consumers can readily obtain the information from product photos. The two supermarkets singled out for criticism provide these photographs. Many don’t.

What is being suggested potentially causes or substantially increases the risk of consumers being provided with incorrect, out of date or information inconsistent with product labelling. This is because it sets up a secondary system attempting to duplicate product labels information directly in retailers webcontent. It also transfers some of the responsibility of that of the manufacturer to the retailer, when the retailer has no control and in the past, no legal responsibility for the information (with exception of food manufacture/preparation at the retailers premises).

I have seen in the past where a government has tried to broaden responsibilities for one business, to other businesses which aren’t in control of the issue at hand. It quickly became a train wreck as businesses quickly absconded their responsibilities in attempt to push it onto others. It doesn’t work and like this, would be set up for failure. Such is also not in the interests of the consumer.

Edit: An example of failure is when a manufacturer changes processing to remove a known allergen risk from a product. The retailer updates their website, but still is likely to have products in stock with the allergen risk. If a consumer buys the product based on webcontent information, who is responsible if they are injured or die from incorrect information. One could say that the retailer could wait until all the product is sold… but what happens if the newer product has a new allergen. What happens if they delay posting this allergen and someone gets injured or dies. Who is responsible? This shows a major possible failing of what is proposed and not in the interests of any consumer. One might argue the risk if this scenario is low - however many store branded (and branded) products change frequently to meet the consumer/retailer appetite for cost efficient products. All it would take is for one injury or death to have a secondary/duplication system fall over. This is where consumers should possibly only rely on product labels attached to the product in hand. Any other sources might be interesting, but should be considered unreliable. These timing mismatches don’t exist with product labels.

1 Like

Personally I am happy when an online ad/sale site shows whatever the manufacturer publishes, but not all do - not even images of the front and back labels.

I’ll side that no reseller should be liable for ‘the label’ but they should be required to display that provided by and from the manufacturer/importer, regardless of media.

1 Like

In an ideal world, all the information that anybody could want would be included on the websites of online sellers. That same world would not allow for the dodgy findings of lazy researchers to be published or the sale of a large percentage of items containing nutritional information on packaging.

In the real world there would only be a small number of people, if any, who are are compelled to buy:
1. A given item
2. From either Coles or Woolworths
3. Via a website.

For those that fit within those limitation, they also have other websites and labels in their pantry and fridge which they can consult.

Whilst it is great for consumers to be fully and easily informed there are plenty of ways to get around this “problem”, which is now being raised after more than ten years of online grocery shopping.

1 Like