Olive Oils - tests, reviews, commentaries, etc

An interesting article regarding the provenance of Australian olive oils.

1 Like

A very interesting article regarding olive oil production at Cobram Estates.

I was amazed by the harvester. I thought that they still hand picked olives.

2 Likes

An article regarding research into extra virgin olive oil preventing toxic substances entering the brain.

What I found most challenging or alarming in this report

Testing has shown that most olive oils, which are not extra virgin, are rancid.

Does this say we should only purchase Extra Virgin oil?

Further olive oil that is not EVO should not be imported, produced locally or sold as a food product or for cooking use?

3 Likes

For those consumers who like to buy genuine Australian extra virgin olive oil in lieu of any dodgy imports but find it expensive, Coles has a fantastic special on 1 litre bottles of Red Island this week for half price, just $8.00 each.

2 Likes

I read somewhere I think SMH years ago that because Italian olive oil is imported in large containers it is heated prior to decanting and this affects the quality - Spanish olive oil is imported in bottles so was condidered better…?

Choice has a guide on the best olive oils.

Should it matter how the oil had been treated if it still rates well? As Choice notes the majority of the oil is extracted in a single press, (modern technology using a centrifuge). Spain is the dominant global producer of olive oil, and even supplies a large portion of the Italian market.

As for Australia, we import mostly Spanish oil, and some Italian.

Typically imported olive oil is blended to produce a consistent product. Olive oil flavour varies with the variety of olive grown.

3 Likes

I have just read Choices olive oil study. I usually buy Squeaky Gate as it is Australian but it didn’t get a mention. Does anyone know how it rates?

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @SarahK

I moved your query into this existing topic about olive oils.

Squeaky Gate started with a broad range and good shelf space, but has retracted to a single option in a single box at a time at our local Colesworths. One version is featured in the 2 Dec 2021 review (open content). To see the tasting notes side by side click the compare options if you are not familiar with how the site works.

Sometimes national origin is important as is price, other things consumers often consider. A final note, expert taste tests do not always reflect any individual consumers preferences, so regardless of where it falls, if you enjoy it that is what counts.

When Squeaky Gate first came to market I found it quite nice and bought it for a while, but then found it to be variable from batch to batch. Whether it was storage, blending, or their QA I never delved in to and they might have rectified whatever caused that since, but I moved on.

3 Likes