OFT -Office of Fair Trading & Policing of Unlicensed Plumbers / Tradies

my understanding is that. in NSW, you MUST have your own Plumbers License to do Plumbing work as a Business - (IF not acting as an employee for a Plumbing company).

yesterday, I placed an advert on the “Service Seeking” website - for some plumbing work in my laundry.
… some of the people that have replied ‘state they are licensed’ - BUT, when I check the ‘OFT Licence Check website’, they are NOT licensed -

… one guy came out yesterday to look at the Job - when I asked him for his License details - he replied it was “at home”…
… this evening, he texted the ‘quote amount to me’
…. I asked for his License details again’
… . he texted back quoting a “mate’s” license number …… it could be ANYONE’s number……
… on service seeking, he has ‘reviews for work that he has done’ - therefore, he is actually doing work, I think, illegally…
. when I responded back querying that the License number was NOT his–
(a) his response on the ‘service seeking’ chat line was basically polite BUT ‘with a I don’t care’ attitude;
(b) however, his “dad” sent me what I would call a threatening sms text…

Tradie SCAMS are being advertised again –

why isn’t OFT taking a PROACTIVE policing role with website pages such as ‘Service Seeking’, Gumtree …. ??
. surely, they should NOT be able to advertise OR do ‘Offers’ on any of these websites UNLESS they have passed the Licence-ID-checking?

• Plumbing is a specialty which can lead to householders being injured…

I think the OFT ‘check licence’ website function is good - BUT, I do not think that it ‘wipes away’ OFT’s ‘social responsibility’ -
…. getting ANY work done on the house can be an exhausting and frustration process…

and, OFT’s 5k Policy for ‘non specialty’ trades is a joke … any Tom, Dick or Harry can do whatever…
what does everyone think?

4 Likes

I’m glad you thought to check the license details @ppa. I’ve heard some tradie horror stories over the years, and getting multiple quotes along with checking for online reviews/word of mouth can help a lot. In terms of enforcement, I’m sure more could be always done. It might be a good topic to write to your MP about too.

4 Likes