October Food Champions Challenge :What milk do you buy?

Is there any “milk” that is less than 90% water?

1 Like

Thank you for the tip - we will look into it.

8 Likes

The least expensive low-fat cow’s milk in a 3 litre container, or 2 litre if no 3 litre available. Purchased at IGA, ALDI, or Woolworths, in that order of frequency of visits. Almost always it is a store-specific brand.
In addition, we keep some UHT ‘bricks’ on hand, 2 litre if available, otherwise 1 litre. More often than not, these are from ALDI where we grab six at a time.
We use milk for breakfast cereal, flat white coffees, and cooking, in that order of consumption.

7 Likes

With one or two exceptions that might make your milk even cheaper than bottled spring water.

Which has the lowest carbon footprint, processed cows milk or still mineral water? I do like milk but likely consume 30l of water for every litre of low fat milk.

Does our rain water tank product rate a mention?

P.S.
I do like cheese, yogurt and icecream, but they’re not milk. :wink:

6 Likes

I try to buy Pura light start when I can. It is lower in fat than full cream but still tastes like real milk. I find if I buy a full cream milk it is too rich for my tastes now days. And long life milk just tastes burnt. Something to do with the high temperature processing I seem to have read about somewhere.
But the kicker for me is that Pura light start in my experience always lasts longer in the fridge than the use by date. Since I am a low user of milk that is important. Don’t want to throw away half a bottle just because the use by date has come around.

6 Likes

Don’t drink a lot of milk but… fussy.

1. ALDI organic reduced fat and not happy when it’s not on the shelf. Long, long expiry, good taste/
    texture.
  2. ALDI organic ‘regular’ if the above is not available.
  3. NORCO regular as last resort.
    We drink very little milk. Partner has it in tea (twice daily) I like it only when the bottle is first opened: in muesli, otherwise I eat yoghurt; we throw out more than we drink. Tragic, but it’s cheap. (too cheap?)
    We had a friend who would drive 3K for NORCO before Woolies stocked it.
    We keep long life always in small containers, Tetra Pak, and to be honest I like the taste. Again, cheap so for back up when you throw it you are not concerned about price, only the consequences.
6 Likes

I agree: SUPPORT the farmers is important. And NORCO has been around long time, is a worthwhile.
Currently their milk carks it way before expiry date though. IMHO

6 Likes

Fresh Milk used to come with just a bottled or packed date. How milk is handled and stored can make a big difference to how long it keeps that freshness. Perhaps there is an issue with your supplier?

We’ve experienced no problems with low fat and homogenised product, Norco included.

5 Likes

I buy full fat Bannister Downs (a WA label) because the cows have a good outdoors life, the ethics of the company are great and the cows have a GM-free diet. I used to buy organic milk from Margaret River Organic Dairy but the owners recently retired, and so did their company, sadly and this was the only WA organic dairy. I use the milk for everything from cereal, to drinks to sauces. Full fat is the way to go for me as all of the benefits are there, not scooped off as with skimmed varieties.

8 Likes

I buy unhomogenised full cream jersey milk from the markets. Beautiful!

8 Likes

I buy Farmhouse Gold Cream on Top because my sons love getting the cream off the top! They use it for cereal and milk drinks (e.g. Milo, milkshakes), my husband uses it for cereal and coffee.
I drink Brownes Skim milk because of its low fat content. On WW it is the lowest points. I use it for coffee, cereal, smoothies.
I sometimes use almond milk for smoothies also for its low fat/low WW points.

7 Likes

Milk - I buy, and have done so for 20 years plus, powdered skim milk, generally the house brand from Woolworths or Aldi. This suits me as I am in a rural area and thus do not have to bother about going shopping some distance by car for fresh milk. Further, when re-constituted this powdered skim milk provides more calcium as a percentage due to less or no fat. I am used to the taste, and value the extreme convenience.

8 Likes

I buy 1L cartons of UHF So Good Soy milk. I choose this because I am trying a vegan diet and it is one of the few soy milks (or dairy free) that has B12. Cereal and cooking are the main uses, as I drink black hot beverages. As my main shop is Aldi, that’s where I usually get it, or Coles as my secondary stop, which is more common when we travel Australia.
For guests (soy is pretty awful in tea and coffee) and other family members’ cereal, we usually buy 1L cartons of whatever is available at Aldi or Coles, in full cream. A doctor once explained the process/chemical that creates ‘light’ milk and I haven’t bought it again.

5 Likes

I buy my milk from Woolies
Fresh: Camperdown Dairy Low Fat
UHT: Devondale Lite (but my local Woolies have stopped stocking this type of milk - I can only buy Woolies Lite :smirk:)
Also buy from Woolies UHT Vita Soy Protein Plus Soy - it’s sugar free

5 Likes

Welcome to the community
@Lizbet and @Kroo

Nice to see you again @mkhughes

Thank you for participating in the challenge!

6 Likes

Out here in the bush, there’s only one kind of full-cream available - Paul’s. Since full-cream is only 4% fat, and doesn’t have quite the level of additives and oddities, that’s what I buy; it’s mostly to add to tea, occasionally for a white sauce or custard. About 4 litres/week.

7 Likes

Riverina regular milk (blue cap). Used to be split with their Lite (red cap) range for breakfasts, but now most of the consumption is for espresso so return to regular.

In my 50s I can still drink gallons of the stuff but I’m trying - mostly successfully - to switch to water via Sodastream. Still make the occasional milkshake.

8 Likes

We’re in WA and usually buy Ferguson Valley HilLo from IGA, or Harvey Fresh (although I find it sometimes has a slightly funny taste) or whatever is available if FV not available. Hubby sometimes buys full cream but less so since he’s no longer going to an office for work.

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your input .

7 Likes

I usually buy Almond milk from the refrigerator.
The only brand I buy is Inside Out unsweetened with or without added calcium
I but this because I am on a low carbohydrate diet and this brand is the only one I can find that has a comparatively high % of almonds.
I have only ever found it at Woolworths in 1L bottles or Costco. 1.5L.

I sometimes buy a carton of UHT almond milk of any unsweetened brand “on special” to store in the cupboard or use in cooking.

6 Likes