October Food Champions Challenge :What milk do you buy?

Ashgrove (Tasmanian) non homogenised. We buy 6 litres a week when doing weekly shop and sometimes the cream is so hard at the end of the week I remove it and freeze it to make ghee every few months. I end up with semi-skimmed milk but that’s OK because it is still great milk.
Ashgrove hand rear their calves so I don’t have to feel guilty about them being slaughtered. The females become members of the dairy herd and the males end up in the meat market. This is important for me.

5 Likes

I try to buy Norco, avoid store brand. I can usually succeed with Full Cream, but have difficulty with Longlife Low Fat*** - have to buy store brand sometimes.
*** Fortunately, we don’t use much.

6 Likes

Inglenook Dairy - we buy from our local IGA in Geelong. Full cream and skim milk. Tastes better and lasts beyond the use- by date. The milk from supermarket doesn’t always stay fresh by use-by date. We don’t mind the higher cost as it is quality product and we’re supporting a local dairy (Ballarat area).

5 Likes

Coles or Woolworths powdered skim milk, the only milk I’ve used for the past 20 years at least (except for a brief patch earlier this year when panic buying cleared the shelves of all the milk powder!). I make it up more concentrated than instructed.

5 Likes

Welcome @Lisa.k!
Appreciate your input.

3 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Food,animal & human, use by dates

Devondale Full Cream 4 litres per week for a household of 4 adults. We are confident of its flavour and texture, and refuse to buy supermarket “house brand milk” because of the terrible destructiveness of the supermarket giants policy towards the dairy industry.

7 Likes

It is worth reading this article from Choice about milk pricing and farm gate prices…

5 Likes

There is another Community topic that shares numerous view points on milk pricing and farm gate concerns. The original ACCC report is also worth a read. Both can be found linked previously in the following:

It’s a long road since the days of regulated pricing and farmer’s cooperatives. Or the milko with his horse, cart and kelpie straight from dairy to your doorstep.

4 Likes

We have Bass River Dairies, Gippsland Dairy, and Gippsland Jersey that I’m aware of, as pensioners we find it difficult financially to support local but for our milk we buy any of the above and in that order of preference because buying local is important. When we for some reason can’t, we buy ALDI Farmdale full cream.

Because of the way the Big Two supermarkets have treated our dairy farmers in the past we can’t - and shouldn’t! - just forget what they did as soon as the news stop reporting them. Firstly, they never stopped doing those things, secondly they’ve done even worse, and lastly, don’t let the media outrage and calm you by turns - stay outraged, support local, and support local . . .

7 Likes

I will only buy from tithe smaller independent producers. We are lucky to have Mungalli Creek Dairy supply a beautiful range of bio-dynamic dairy products including unhomogenized full fat “cream in the top” milk. The taste is far superior to the big producers.

6 Likes

We buy Devondale 2% long life because it tastes just like whole milk and and we don’t buy fresh because we don’t drink enough. We only use it for tea and coffee. we’ve been buying this brand for at least 7 years.

5 Likes

Absolutely agree! Maleny low fat milk is the only milk I buy. Yes, it is more expensive but tastes like the milk I remember my grandparents giving me - just strained and still warm from the cow!

6 Likes

Norco is my go to and non homogenised my preference for all the reasons you mention.

6 Likes

A2 milk.

4 Likes

Norco. Oh how I do love Norco.
I made my selection based on the Shop Ethical website:
https://guide.ethical.org.au/company/?company=473

All Milk brands, for comparison:
https://guide.ethical.org.au/guide/browse/guide/?type=15

(Nestle, lol)

7 Likes

I buy Norco Full Cream milk from the bakery across the road as it will last about a week after the use by date, because it is taken from the delivery truck and placed in the bakery’s fridge, not sitting on the loading dock in the sun as I have seen at some of the big supermarkets.
If you want your milk to last longer when you first open it and use some milk just sprinkle a bit of salt into the container put the lid back on and shake it. A bottle of milk I purchased in early September with a Best Before date of 20 September I still have in the fridge and it is still perfect 16 days after the use by date, I mainly use it for tea or coffee.

7 Likes

My first pref is ALDI reduced fat milk as it is fresher and the refrigeration in our local ALDI is far superior to local Woolies or IGA. The milk is fresher and lasts MUCH longer, esp in summer months. If I cannot get to ALDI I use Rev.

Many products requiring refrigeration are of poor quality in hotter weather in our local Woolies.

6 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ethical considerations

or to avoid adding to your salt intake just pop some milk into ice cube trays and freeze.

7 Likes