NSW Government Stupidity Strikes

In Qld the way the permit is displayed (the Australian one) would be an offence as the permit number and expiry date are not able to be seen. I believe the instructions on the back state that the permit must be placed so those details are able to be seen. Interesting in that the permit is a federal one now and as long as it is displayed properly it is legal to be used in any State.

In Qld the permits are sent out with a clear plastic sleeve and suction cup. They still degrade if left in the sun all day and the holographic surround tends to flake away. Generally replacement is about every 3 years due to the deterioration that occurs.

@Fred123 that will require a new application and Doctor’s certification with a fee again. If replaced within the period allowed (3 months or something) and if a 5 year permit it only requires the holder to complete the first section and does not require the medical certification. I calendar it in for the reminder 30 days from expiry as it can take 25 days to get the new one back.

4 Likes

I just double checked my permit and it is the other way around. The outside has the permit number and expiry date (Oops).

The inside has my full name.

As far as having to pay a full initial fee again, no surprise there with the thieves at TMR Qld whose modus operandi is to give you nothing and take you nowhere.

I could not find anything regarding a requirement to get a new medical certificate after the 3 month expiry but it would be no great surprise as these clowns probably think that if a person with a disability has not renewed their permit within 3 months after expiry, they have somehow miraculously been cured.

And of course, having the common courtesy to advise permit holders of a pending renewal date would be all too hard for them when they have a chance to gouge another fee.

I just checked the PPQ website again and the plate “TMRSUX” is available. Ideal for the Transport Minister, the deptartment head, and the managers.

1 Like

Link to the in person application, note that in the first application selection it states if the permits have been expired for over 3 months it is the same as an initial application and that a fee applies.

They say they notify about 3 months before the permit expires but it may be what they expect but has never been the case for us.

2 Likes

I went to the local TMR Qld centre this morning and was told that as my permit had expired by more than “6 weeks”, I would have to do a new application and get it signed by my GP, and that the fee is “$18.95”.

Looks like accuracy is not a strong point there on a Monday morning.

I said that I had never received an expiry reminder to which the employee claimed that a reminder is always sent out and asked if I had changed my address.

My current 5 year driver’s licence was renewed early last year, and I had updated my address details on my previous licence a couple of years previously when we got rid of our PO Box.

The list of e-notices and e-reminders I had signed up for makes no mention of Disability Parking Permits, so I assume it is just another manisfestation of TMR Qld incompetence and stupidity.

Whilst they send out expiry reminders for driver’s licences, they get a subsatnial payment for every renewal, but as they get zilch for Disability Parking Permits renewed before the deadline, I guess they have an incentive to not notify people.

After all, this is the same collective of clowns who have almost finished the main access road into Cairns with no provision for pedestrians.

I was tossing up whether to bother putting my joggers on to go there but just wore my scuffs instead which was probably just as well as Billy Bogan walked in after me with bare feet and no mask, and had to be told twice before he reluctantly used the hand sanitiser. I wouldn’t want to have shown him up.

1 Like

With an expiry in 2019 I think any period of grace may have elapsed even if it is 6 weeks (they need to read their own forms it seems) or 3 months or even 12 months :smile:

I don’t ever trust their notification system for the permits it has failed us for the past 20 years, even when it was the Red Permit system only. I think the move to the Federal system has lost the notification system completely and they might have to dredge it out of the Mariana Trench to reinstate it. They always ask if we have recently moved
Yeah right
 So I get my handy dandy Smartphone and my Thunderbird calendars and set the date to submit a new form 30 days before expiry of the permit. 25 days is the expected turnaround as they do not create the Australian permits in TMR any longer, however they do for the Qld Red permits. This year well before expiry the permits arrived within a week of submitting the forms, super fast turnaround for some reason as we usually expect them about 2 - 3 weeks after submitting (we allow the 25 days but never have had to wait that long).

2 Likes

Most states are clear that reminders (and annual invoices!) are only a courtesy service and failure to receive one does not relieve the recipient from their obligation to pay or renew whatever it is on time.

3 Likes

It is no real surprise that I did not receive a reminder but I cannot believe the idiocy of requiring a GP to complete the form as the permit had expired when it is not required to renew it within the deadline.

Do these clowns think that after 5 years and 3 months, permit holders have somehow magically gotten better, but in less than 5 years and 3 months, they are still have a disability?

This is just wasting my time and Medicare’s money.

I guess I better not mention my full back replacement?

Not necessarily. It prevents those who have have recovered from a temporarily illness from still being able to use the permits for their own benefit. Having regular requirements of validation ensure that the system is less open to fraud or abuse.

The e-notice/e-reminder website also doesn’t list the permit as one captured by the standard suite of permits/licences where renewal reminders are sent. I also recall reading something when living in Queensland that failure not to receive a renewal notice isn’t grounds for leniency when it comes using an out-of-date permit/licence.

1 Like

Hmm. I have to do a new application every time (5 yearly intervals, thats the length of the permit) and have it signed by a GP. Makes sense. I might be somehow cured.

2 Likes

But they do not in Qld.

If an existing permit applies within the 5 years and 3 momths perion, there is no fee or GP visit required.

Exceed 5 years and 3 months and it is mandatory.

Government stupidity at its finest.

In Qld, it takes 5 years, 3 months, plus a least 1 more day to be miraculously cured.

My GP completed my permit application and did some script repeats for me, 3 of which he texted to my mobile. They open to dispay a QR code for the pharmacy. I had not seen this before.

He then mentioned that I could get my flu shot which he organised, and the nurse told me I was now eligible for a free Shingles vaccine which I have an appointment for next week.

I then proceeded to the local TMR Qld centre and I asked the lady if she could check what address they had for me for the expired permit.

She called wherever the permits are issued from and was given the address of our previous home which we sold in 2014.

So either there is no liason between TMR Qld and this office or someone failed to do their job.

This incompetence has cost me time, money and inconvenience but fortunately did not cost me any fines.

The medical profession does a great job whilst the public servants receive their appearance money regardless of competence or the lack thereof.

More Council stupidity.

Little wonder these idiots have not responded.