November 2020 Food Challenge: What I have for Breakfast

:wink:
Likely one of the healthier options if it was on their menu.
I restrict myself to the barista coffee and supersized muffin.
Less to go wrong, although practice makes perfect. I’ve yet to see the clown I was thinking of perform the same. I think all his magic has been used up in the marketing.

6 Likes

Every morning I have a strong cup of cappuccino with Almond milk and Teff Porridge. I cook 1/4 cup brown Teff seeds/grains for approx 10 mins in water and Almond milk until all the water is absorbed similar to wholegrain oats. It makes a full bowl of porridge. I then add some cinnamon and berries or bananas. I enjoy the taste though the brown colour is not that appealing to the rest of my family.

9 Likes

Wow! Lots of people have the same breakfast everyday! I have quite a variety depending what my partner makes! Always have a cup of coffee with breakfast…

1.Fried egg on a piece of toast sometimes
2.Carmen’s muesli with fibre and some coconut yoghurt and Zymil milk
3.Vegemite on toast
4.Sliced Banana on toast with honey
Weekends: a Full English breakfast

9 Likes

For me, its a mood thing. This morning, for example, it was an omelette (3 eggs) with green beans and diced onion. Yesterday, boiled eggs. Some days I want scrambled eggs and some days I might want porridge with cream, butter and splenda (or real sugar if I am feeling especially naughty). I’d love to have a small box of cornflakes in the cupboard, but small boxes are what used to be large, back in the day. So maybe… one day…

9 Likes

I have oats, not the quick variety, with low fat milk and fruit. Usually I have apples and frozen blackberries, sometimes frozen berries or bananas. The berries need a bit of sweetness, which usually comes from a bit of homemade jam or cumquat marmalade. If I have homemade granola in the cupboard, I will also sprinkle some on top. This is my everyday start to the day. Its like dessert, but good for me. A cup of black tea, no sugar or milk completes breakfast. While the oats are cooking, about 6 minutes, I wash up anything from the night before which doesn’t go in the dishwasher and make sure the kitchen benches and cook top are clean. I can eat my breakfast feeling virtuous and go to work with a clean tidy kitchen and full tummy.

8 Likes

I have 1 weetbix, the cholesterol lowering type. 1/2 of a banana, a small handful of raw walnuts with light lactose free milk a cup of white tea with 1 tsp of sugar.

8 Likes

We usually have a fruit smoothie! followed by a cocoa in my case and Patricia has tea.

Very occasionally I’ll have bacon and eggs on toast, as well!

6 Likes

I do vary mine sometimes, today it was a slice of cherry-choc cake I made yesterday, followed by an 80km bike ride, after which I found I needed another slice of cake!

As for the breakfast of others, this Magpie seems to want a piece of me for breakfast every morning!

11 Likes

Ok, a weetbix, some bran flakes, sultanas, prunes, honey and warm milk. Orange juice and a cup of tea.
Still going after 28 years on the same breakfast…
Rod.

9 Likes

Hi @Rod59. Haven’t gone the greasy bacon and eggs brekky in all those years?

1 Like

Most days, my breakfast is a poached egg and some spinach with my home-made bread toasted if necessary. For variation, I have mushrooms with or instead of the egg or avocado on toast. At the weekends, I am treated to breakfast in bed and then there may be smoked salmon with the egg. On extra hungry mornings, I have a second slice of toast with one of my home-made marmalades. I’m off to make breakfast right now!

9 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Rod59!
Thanks for the input.

5 Likes

We cook our Bertocchi rindless bacon and our eggs on the BBQ with a tiny amount of olive oil.

Absolutely no grease involved.

5 Likes

My usual breakfast is a slice of homemade bread (sourdough or whole grain / whole meal), toasted if getting a few days old, with peanut butter on one half and jam and cheese on the other. Black coffee, and fruit. This morning it was an orange, about 1/3 of a banana, and three strawberries.
A “special” breakfast might be a soft-boiled egg, bread or toast, and Greek yogurt. Always black coffee!

8 Likes

I always have a smoothie made from 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1 small banana, 2 Tbls of Greek yoghurt (low fat) and a 1/2 tsp. of vanilla paste. If I am really hungry I will also add 1 Weet Bix.

8 Likes

I think I have to add something to my breakfast list: cheese, tomato and onion toasted sandwich.

10 Likes

Our dad used to fry up onions and tomatoes in black sauce (Soy) to serve on toast on a plate. Fried eggs on the side.

It’s an interesting palette selection.
Our perceptions of flavours taste supposedly changes as we age.

Should the ideal breakfast for us slightly more experienced Aussies be more adventuresome than the same old diet of bland porridge and prunes topped up with psyllium husks and skim milk?

Good nutrition is fundamental at all ages, but it doesn’t have to be boring or a chore. :wink:

9 Likes

My kind of breakfast - delicious!

9 Likes

The general wisdom I was taught as a Gerontology student at Concord Hospital, was that one tended to prefer sweet stuff as one aged, due to those changes in taste. Not me, I periodically want something sweet and am always disappointed. Preference for sour, me.

7 Likes

My most common beakfasts involve some kind of oat dish:
1)porridge with greek yoghurt and low fat milk with banana/blackberries/strawberries plus toppings like chia seeds or linseed meal or tahini. or
2) an oat or barley max granola or muesli with similar toppings

Lately, I have been experimenting with millet porridge (ho hum) or cooked brown rice (also ho hum).

Sometimes I toast whatever bread I have (multigrain sourdough/wholewheat/ light rye/rarely, home made mixed flours bread) and top with Flora ProVita Lite or unsalted butter, plus homemade cumquat jam (using urban foraged cumquats this year achieved using a small stepladder ). Plus a poached egg…

Two days ago brunch was home made baked beans (tinned cannelini beans cooked in tomatoes, onions, chilli, and topped with fetta on rye toast.) Kept me going till dinner (almost)

Also Coffee.

10 Likes