COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus, 2019-nCoV) News

Now we’re a health hazard to our companion animals.

[edit]
Tempted to make your own hand sanitiser? Maybe don’t.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/03/health/coronavirus-diy-hand-sanitizer-trnd/index.html

“Do as I say, not as I do.”

https://honey.nine.com.au/latest/coronavirus-expert-licks-finger-during-press-conference/885e6ab1-9ad0-4162-aa31-1106e0c4fc66

Perhaps best to stay away from children then, as it appears they are amongst the least affected, so presumably less likely to seek treatment, but still capable of spreading the virus. I’ve noticed for many years that school children are a significant spreader of common colds - parents with school kids tend to catch a cold more often that those with no children around. Presumably it will be the same for the new coronavirus.

1 Like

i understand COVID-19 is dangerous, but i really do not understand all the hype around it taking in consideration that is by far not as dangerous as other viruses or health issues. according to my doc, a healthy immune system which is maintained by having healthy food recipes is going to be enough for staying away from the virus and even kill it if you got it.
yes, it may be dangerous for older people, but even then, older people are at greater risk when having already other health issues. so deaths around COVID-19 are not only because of the virus, but a combination of the virus with other health issues. stay healthy, and COVID-19 is not dangerous, at least as much as media tries to scare us with.

2 Likes

That is not quite true. Staying healthy will not prevent immunosenescence. Comorbidity is common as people age which is a second reason the elderly are more likely to die of flu and other common diseases as well as this bug. This is not a lifestyle choice in many cases but just a fact of age.

Perhaps if the wrinklies all ate Himalayan flatus berries or probiotic micro unsaturated ice cream (or whatever the latest fad may be) they would be healthier and not die so easily.

2 Likes

The ABC coronavirus podcast discusses whether face masks should be worn by the general population.

The podcast confirms other sources that it is recommended that only those with a coronavirus infection and healthcare personnel, likely to come in contact with infected patients, wear face masks. For the general population it is unnecessary and if the general population purchases face masks, it reduces the supply/availability to those who need them most.

A bit of general information:

and why we do the things we do:

1 Like

My take on infection control: Wash your hands with soap and water. And do it properly. Hand sanitiser is NOT a good replacement for that: its fine if you are out and about and need to do a quick one. Stay away from crowded places. You have NO idea if anyone in the crowd has been infected because they don’t know yet. All their contacts and anyone they sneeze near will pick it up. Wearing a mask will give you a modicum of protection if you are in a crowd. You need a good mask though, surgical masks wont do much. If you are the one with the sneezes, sniffles and a cough, you should be wearing a mask if you go out anywhere (preferably to somewhere you can be tested).

No amount of handwashing or sanitising alone, and not touching your face, will be enough to avoid infection.

I’m now staying home until people are no longer being infected. And if anybody in that mob at Coles today is infected, I’m probably done. I really don’t think its going to slow down any time soon, because of the crappy half arsed advice given by Health.

Hand sanitiser works through direct contact. It requires a liberal amount which needs to cover every surface of the hand including between fingers, around finger nails and back of hand/finger surfaces,…which often is not achieved by most who apply it. Often little is applied creating uneven spread over the hand and ares where treatment/sterilisation is missed. Any missed areas increase of infection if the fingers are contaminated with a pathogen.

Soap works by stripping the oil layer off the skin…this stripping process also removes any pathogens present as they can ho longer ‘stick’ to the skin and can be readily washed away. However, like sanitiser, every surface needs to be cleaned and scrubbed.

Usually soap washing is more effective than sanitiser as it is easier to ensure all surfaces are well and truly cleaned.

3 Likes

Absolutely, but who does that? I do, I’m an ex nurse. However, I still maintain my stance. No amount of hand washing and not touching your face is going to protect you. You’re still unprotected from droplet infection (in the air) which is, after all, how colds and flu spread. Social distancing!

1 Like

Makes more sense than overstocking toilet paper. :grin:

2 Likes
1 Like

Dr Michael Mosley’s advice on coronavirus.

The most amazing part is the photo of a London supermarket which still had some stocks of toilet rolls on Wednesday.

The Poms must be a tad more considerate that the selfish Aussies.

Taking advice to self isolate between testing and results will also help minimise the rate of spread.

An unexpected consequence:

Keeping thousands of employees in jobs and economies ticking over. Also a possible unintended consequence. Doubtless Europe will sort it out.

The same rules don’t apply in Australia.

Edit
P.S.
Our airlines based on recent experience will simply cut back services, and invite staff to use up their leave entitlements. Possibly by staying at home because there is nowhere we can travel to without risking getting caught out by a travel ban or quarantine without travel insurance cover.

Highly reminiscent of an episode of “Yes Minister” when Jim is trying to get a new hospital sorted and Sir Humphrey is trying to do a snow job on him.

1 Like

It might be highly comic?

Which is why we should wonder at the value of relating a situation in Europe that reflects their political realities, but not ours.

The hard reality is a very different and real concern for employment in Australia. Notably casuals and others who have no sick leave entitlements, plus the probability of being laid off.

An article regarding illegal wildlife markets still operating in Asia.

“NO PHOTO”?

Nothing to see here folks. Just business, and stupidity, as usual.

I have been the only passenger on a regional flight…I recall a Ansett Brasilla and a Qantas/Sunstate regional flight.

These flights occurred due to logistics…they needed to still have the flights as there were passengers on the rerurn leg.

This often happens with larger aircraft as well if a plane issue takes a particular plane out of service. A spare needs to be relocated to continue routes for the out of service plane.

In addition, often with a crisis (natural disaster, political unrest, disease etc), it can take some time for the impacts to flow through to passenger numbers. There can be an immediate impact, as well as long term impacts as things settle down. I imagine airlines won’t start rescheduling until impacts settle down and they know what the short to medium term picturevlooks likel

I suspect that an airline could cancel previously fully booked flights, but if the cancelled flight isn’t near empty, it could have major flow on effects (think of sort of impacts when Thomas Cook went under).