Notification of NBN Planned Outage

Maybe. FW performance depends on the line of sight to the tower, the infrastructure behind the scenes and the congestion on the particular tower. So the results can be very variable and may or may not be the responsibility of the NBN. I have hit the jackpot and my service is consistently excellent. I realise not everybody is so lucky.

1 Like

Surely NBN has a UPS installed to protect their infrastructure? Maybe they saved a few dollars - at your expense, or maybe at their own if they get a decent enough voltage spike to blow out their terminating equipment.
I have UPSes at home for my internet connection and digital electronics other than laptops

1 Like

Not for HFC they don’t.

2 Likes

If they do it might ride through a few cycles of lost sine wave or a minute or two when a possum decides to roast itself while the grid distribution auto-resets the fault. Off for maintenance, a blown transformer, a downed pole? Nada.

‘Nothing’ is too good for us. I live a few kms from @Guitarfish. We do not share the same ‘faulty pits’, just the same ‘faulty NBN’.

3 Likes

You would be one if a very few consumers who have a UPS for domestic application.

The NBN will know that most (almost all except a few like yourself) don’t have UPS and they will make a commercial decision not to provide power supply backup across their whole system, as domestic consumers won’t be able to use NBN services in the times of power loss. They would argue why have power backup in a domestic situation when the connection won’t be used by most (close to all) consumers.

It is worth noting in the early rollout they provided battery backup for land line
but this was dropped later. Most have mobiles for use during land line availability disappears (which a growing number no longer having land kine service), so a similar argument could be made for land lines.

If internet connection is deemed as critical, there is option for many of mobile data backup for UPS devices
 without need for NBN during power outages.

1 Like

As @Guitarfish and myself have attested, that is a false argument. The NBN can lose its local power and go down, and the numbers affected can and are widespread to the hundreds or possibly thousands without NBN but with power, locale dependent.

For some, not all. I could not depend on my mobile signal or service for backup of anything including emergency calls. No worries? Many days i need to try outbound calls for 5 minutes before one goes through, and this in outer suburban Melbourne, better than many have in the regions and most everyone in the bush.

edit: I thought to take a video of the wonderful little ‘working circle’ going around and around and around seemingly forever awaiting a data response. It is not just voice, it is voice and data that fail a reliability/usability test.

1 Like

With many more folk working from home since the beginning of the pandemic, a connection has become vital. If I have notification of a planned power or internet outage, I can plan my work day accordingly and go in to the office. It’s the disconnect between the planned power outages which affect NBN and impact on my (and my partner’s) ability to work from home that is the problem.
I don’t have a large mobile data allowance to fall back on (my choice, since I am not a big phone user), nor should I need to, when I pay for internet service!
I believe some ISPs can now supply 4G back-up, however ABB does not (at last check). This would be a useful service for times when NBN and power companies don’t get their act together, however again, I don’t feel I should be made to pay a premium for this service because of the NBN and AusNet failures

4 Likes