Not the same as the one in store

I purchased a rather expensive lounge based on the experience I had in store with the comfort and style of the one in the showroom. It was nice and soft. Ours that had to come from the manufacturer is as hard as a rock and we were told a few options. Sit on it for a while (over a long period) and it should become comfortable as the cushions take a while for air to be released and for it to become comfortable or the store will compensate us with a couple of massage pillows we can use whilst sitting on the lounge. We have been back to the store and can 100% confirm that the style is the same but one is like sitting on a bed of feathers and the other like sitting on a park bench. Definitely NOT as displayed. Any suggestions

2 Likes

Welcome Jester, it is OK to name the shop.

Consumer law tells us that the goods supplied must be substantially the same as any sample provided. So you are withing your rights to ask for a remedy. I suggest you make a formal complaint in writing saying that you are not satisfied, the reason for it, and that you want it replaced with the same kind you sat on in the shop. Keep careful track of all correspondence and do not accept verbal assurances, make them put it in writing.

3 Likes

Hi @Jester66, welcome to the community.

One has to remember that items on display can appear slightly different to new items. A sofa for example may have been sat on 100s of times since new, affecting the softness or even the shape of the cushions.

You have raised an interesting question should display stock be exactly the same as new stock purchased by the consumer. Possibly, but would be considered unreasonable with used floor or displayed stock. If a display item has a scratch on it, should the retailer put a scratch on every product sold to ensure it is the same. This gives an example of when it is reasonable to expect a display stock may be slightly different to that purchased by a consumer. Likewise with cushions which soften with time.

Notwithstanding this, as the retailer has indicated that the cushions will soften over time, I would be monitoring the cushions and if they don’t soften over time, then take it up with fhe retailer. This then falls into misleading statements under the Australian Consumer Law.

1 Like

New furniture is often less soft than the demo for the reasons mentioned. Two approaches, one is to give the retailer a formal Letter of Complaint per the ACCC model seeking a refund or replacement as you wish (the remedy), OR getting the retailer to state in writing how long the cushions should take to soften and if you are still unsatisfied at that time they will provide a full refund. I would not hold my breath to get the latter, but it is an option to propose if you are willing.

FWIW our record of buying lounges and various padded recliner chairs always had a reasonable similarity on the delivered merchandise to the comfort level of the demos. I would not be as accommodating as others if the demo lounge was cushy and the delivered one stiff/hard however described.

3 Likes