Non-scratchy toilet paper in paper packaging?

The sensitive derrieres in our household unfortunately can’t handle the rough recycled toilet paper that comes in paper packaging. Are there any brands of the softer stuff that come wrapped in paper rather than plastic?

It seems like only recycled TP is sold in paper packaging. I have written to Kleenex as a start, saying my household wants paper packaging.

4 Likes

You may like to visit the linked to topic Supermarket toilet paper rip off to find some recommendations and check out the Choice Toilet Paper review for 2018 as that may have some options to try (if you haven’t done so already).

Good on you for contacting the Kleenex company about the paper packaging and I hope you have success with your request and it hopefully will inspire others to make a similar request.

4 Likes

Thanks for the pointers – I like how the Choice review has a photo for each kind so I can see the packaging.

It looks like all the ones that scored fairly high on softness are indeed in plastic wrapping. D’oh!

4 Likes

While not the perfect solution, toilet paper plastc packaging can be recycled in Redcycle bins.

http://www.redcycle.net.au/what-to-redcycle/

There can be environmental concerns of both plastic and paper wrappings…so at the end of the day it is a personal choice of what one prefers.

What would be good is being able to buy in bulk, with no additional packaging…say like one can buy other loose bulk items.

4 Likes

It would be fantastic to buy in bulk, I do agree! I believe in “the olden days” this is how it was done. I see that the Who Gives a Crap company offers this. Unfortunately, it’s just too scratchy for our household to use (very sensitive skin). We had sore bums and tears amongst the littlies last time we tried it, and us adults weren’t much better off :frowning:

I realise that plastic TP packaging can be recycled, but when I watched the segment about soft plastic recycling on War on Waste, it seemed that it was being recycled into fairly useless items – plastic park benches, for instance. It wasn’t being turned into more packaging. Realistically, how many plastic park benches do we need. And ideally, benches would be made of renewable and biodegradable materials, like wood from sustainable plantation sources. The plastic will be shedding microfragments into the environment the whole time, even after it has been turned into a bench. And what happens when the bench reaches the end of its lifespan? We’re still stuck with the plastic.

Yup, paper packaging has its own costs, but I figure that if it is unbleached, has biodegradable inks, and is part or all recycled, at least it is not going to end up in landfill. It can be recycled into more paper, or composted. Even if does go into landfill, it would break down eventually. We don’t see photos of sea creatures being strangled by paper bags, after all.

Sorry for the long reply – just a few things I had been thinking about lately and you made some good points.

Cheers,
Sarah

3 Likes

WGaC now has extra soft option.

3 Likes

Ooh, fantastic! I will get my hands on some ASAP and report back. Thank you so much for letting me know!

3 Likes

Hi Jen, Have WGAC recently changed the quality of the Premium? I have noticed it is not as soft as it used to be.

2 Likes

@VeeJay Sorry, I don’t know. I’m still using the regular product.

3 Likes

One wonders why they need ro individually wrap each toliet roll, especially when they come in a cardboard box. Possibly another example of unnecessary packaging or extra wrapping to make it fee more premium.

2 Likes

https://support.au.whogivesacrap.org/article/19-why-do-you-package-your-toilet-paper-the-way-you-do

3 Likes

I personally think it is still not justified. Looks like a PR message writer than one with environmental credentials.

Maybe individual wrapping is warranted in commercial applications (offices, hospitals, accommodation etc) where hygienic qualities are desirable to users, but not in a domestic application where hygienic perceptions are different.

Maybe they should introduce a wrapped free version as well for those who are conscious of the resources one consumes.

3 Likes

Worth asking…

2 Likes