Non alcoholic disinfectants for Covid?

Hmm, spelling confusion explains the lack of match. However is this related to the product(s) raised by the OP? It seems to made by a different company (Oates Laboratories) and have different active ingredients. It is a non-alcoholic disinfectant (that is approved by the TGA for COVID) but not apparently the disinfectant that @MC1 uses or sent details to Choice about. So colour me well confused.

2 Likes

Citrus aurantium is also known as bitter orange, sour orange or bergamot. As such it would not be the active ingredient. The active ingredient would be an extract from it, probably bergamot oil which is used by herbalists & in Earl Grey tea.

Slight correction here. It’s aerosol not airborne. The difference being airborne viruses exist in the air alone, aerosol spread is when it is contained in tiny droplets of liquid (eg spit, coughing).

5 Likes

Citroshield is in the process of being approved.

It should turn up on the list of disinfectants that kill Covid in the near future.

:slight_smile:

Citroshield is just watered down Citrozine.

Until it is formally approved (if this occurs), it remain unapproved and can’t be recommendedfor use against Covid-19.

It is also worth noting approvals can also be conditional as well.

You seem to have insider information, do you work for the company or the TGA?

If this is the case, from what I understand, if only one of the products is approved in the future, it does not give the other product automatic approval. We will have to wait to see what is approved, if anything, and what the approval applies to.

3 Likes

Nope don’t work for the company or the TGA.

All I did was ask the company how their TGA approval was progressing.

Same with the CitroZine… I just asked which of their products was the most concentrated.

1 Like

Very trusting of the supplier/manufacturer.

For such a simple formula using common chemical compounds, one might wonder why after more than 18 months of Covid, it’s not approved?

If it was truely effective would there would already be hundreds of brands out there, approved and promoting the product. Absence from the pharmacy and super market counter displays says to me Citroshield is not a reliable product.

I’ll stick to the approved TGA and WHO recommendations for home cleaning, if and when our home has someone who is Covid positive.

4 Likes

No it isn’t.
It may be in the process of being considered for approval - or not.
Ultimately it may be approved - or not.

You would think if the TGA can get 256 products approved this one could get the tick five months after testing. But we don’t know.

So you have decided that the product is good for purpose and that you can use it effectively in whatever concentration you are breaking it down to. Do you understand why others may not share your view?

I cannot find any such statement by Choice. There is an article where they said alcohol-free hand sanitisers didn’t work. Are you sure that you are not confusing the two? Perhaps if you give a link to the story you read it would anchor this thread more.

6 Likes

Hi you’re right… I was thinking of the alcohol free hand sanitisers… but couldn’t find a link to the original article.

Can you think of any reason to continue this discussion?

3 Likes

I downloaded the first paper from the web site (which is just a general document server and cannot be regarded as authoritative). It referred to a different product (CitroFresh) and only claimed it is a general cleaner for low to moderate levels of bacteria and fungi. Covid is a virus and therefore not covered.

In any case, I recall an episode of The Checkout a while ago which showed how easy it is for dodgy companies to get “evidence” that something is “clinically proven”. Unless the source is a paper published in a reputable science journal (or reporting thereof) I would disregard it as evidence.

My conclusion: this is snake oil.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder :slight_smile:even though it was about cosmetics…but at about 9 minutes it could be relevant to this topic.

4 Likes

Remember that if you are only interested in cleaning, then soap has been shown to render SARS-CoV-2 (the Covid virus) inactive after 20 seconds of contact. So any soap or detergent based cleaner should be sufficient to clean surfaces.

So-called anti-bacterial cleaners have been shown to create resistant bacteria in much the same way as antibiotics do, so I try to avoid those. I doubt that it is worthwhile to pay extra for cleaners making claims that they inactivate Covid.

Choice have in the past published articles on how to get rid of mould (which can resist standard cleaning).

3 Likes

At work, we use the term droplet (referring to droplets spread by coughing or sneezing or talking etc) and airborne to describe tiny particles of virus that remain in the air for a while. I was most interested in the study Royal Melbourne Hospital did on air purifiers recently. Sorry about the semantics Peterchu - I’ve probably posted in the wrong forum since you are all exploring a citrus based surface cleaner. I like the Orange Power cleaners. I looked for a Safety Data Sheet on Citrozine but couldn’t find one. A tried and tested weak bleach solution for surface cleaning is probably what I would reach for if someone in the household was unwell.

1 Like

I had a quick look as well on the TGA and couldn’t find Citrozine, There is a bleach based product called Shield Citrus by Diversey on the list. Their website displays the TGA approval number on their product unlike Citrozine. Pine O clean and Glen20 products on the TGA list which are readily available for home use.

@sol, you may want to go back to earlier posts in this topic about a thing called Citrozine.

Yes I’ve used this before. Bleach is approved by the WHO as a suitable Covid disinfectant.

Just don’t drink it though please, no matter what some former world leader might have said.

1 Like

There is plenty of confusion to be had in this thread as we mixed up disinfectants with hand sanitiser as well as the spelling of various products. It depends on what your interest is whether it is worth going through it all to pull the facts out of the mess.

That’s correct and this is outlined above. While the original post in the thread indicated that it was on the list, this is incorrect. As a result at this point of time Citrozine can’t be recommended as a surface treatment for the COVID-19 virus.

For COVID-19 (or any other surface treatment to kill pathogens), it is important to mix the bleach in accordance with the manufacturers instructions/product label. Mixing at concentrations less than that recommended on the label may not be effective in sterilising surfaces. Mixing more can be a waste of money and may cause accelerated corrosion of surfaces the beach comes in contact with (see bleach incompatibility list for those metals higher concentrations of bleach are known to react with)

4 Likes