No refunds signs are illegal

Perhaps buying things like shoes, where fit is critical, should not be done without first trying them on.

They surely want to make it complicated to understand the returns. More so if one purchase through a third party provider. I think i would not bother buying through third party. I have noticed that rivers have totally changed what they sell to many years ago. Previously it was just clothes and footwear but now sell everything and anything. I was looking at specials a robotic vacuum cleaner heavily reduced from $1200 to $199. That is a huge discount. I would be very careful if buying that item if i eas wanting to return for change mind. Seems more hassle than buying .

I consider the content on your linked page to be misleading. The first section of that page lists conditions relating to change of mind returns (see below).

Whilst the conditions exclude ā€œFinal Sale Itemsā€ from the policy, they make no mention of excluding ā€œSale itemsā€ and do no state that further conditions might apply.

However, close to the bottom of the page, the following statement appears ā€œAll Sale items are non-refundable for change of mind, instore or online.ā€

There is a contradiction between these two references on that page.

As most, if not all, non-third party seller items have a crossed out higher price displayed next to the lower selling prices. Customers might not know if the item is actually a sale item. However, the conditions state "Sale items are identified on the product page and your invoice with the statement ā€œAll Sale items are non-refundable for change of mind, instore or onlineā€.

This means that some people might actually have better refund options that previously thought for online purchases if the item is not specifically identified as a ā€œsale itemā€ or a ā€œfinal sale itemā€.

I think you are playing with semantics. If one believes there is a difference, it could argued that All Sale Items includes Final Sale Items as the word all is all encompassing.

Even if ā€˜Final Sale Itemsā€™ and ā€˜All Sale Itemsā€™ are different (which they possibly wonā€™t be), both are still excluded from refunds under the Rivers Change of Mind Policy under the two different parts of the Terms and Conditions. The refund conditions arenā€™t illegal and can be set by the business.

1 Like

The below links give details of two different pairs of reduced price thongs. Whilst most people would judge both to be sale items, only the second includes the statement ā€œAll Final Sale items are non-refundable for change of mind, instore or onlineā€ directly underneath the ā€œADD TO CARTā€ box. It seems that Rivers does not consider the first item to be a ā€œFinal Sale itemā€.

https://www.rivers.com.au/Product/Detail?CategoryId=74992&ProductId=1392788&Colour=black

https://www.rivers.com.au/Product/Detail?CategoryId=75059&ProductId=685335&Colour=khaki-camo

Drifting off topic posters. Already established that businesses can set any terms and conditions they like for change of mind refunds and that is completely legal under the ACL.

2 Likes

Yes and no. To drifting and also what T&Cā€™s say.

Thereā€™s a useful discussion concerning what defines change of mind, especially when it comes to fit/sizing. Itā€™s germaine looking to prior posts.

Another observation concerns the exclusion, (recognised by ACL) of sale items. Itā€™s a fine line between a retailers regular price and sale pricing, considering some retailers are always promoting products as ā€˜on saleā€™. That the on sale price might be closer to the competitive price elsewhere, suggests the regular price is a fiction. Although the ACCC also has a view if this is factual.

2 Likes

Well I donā€™t mind a change of direction in topics if they invoke discussion.

Just pointing out that usually when that happens the discussion splits off to a new topic, in this case about the T&Cs around change of mind policies of various companies, rather than continue under the starting topic.

Which is ā€œno refunds signs are illegalā€.

1 Like

Whatā€™s in a topic heading?
Hopefully the opening lines can clarify.

ACL exempts stores from providing refunds or exchanging goods for ā€œchange of mindā€.
Refunds for ā€œChange of Mindā€ are permitted when the store T&Cā€™s allow for it.

No judgement intended on whether ā€œchange of mindā€ conditions and no refunds are relatable. :wink:

1 Like