No choice of modem for ethical software proponents (NBN, VDSL2)

I would rather not. It will never work again. :rofl:

2 Likes

Well I still have no idea what ‘ethical software’ is supposed to be as it appears in this topic title.
:pleading_face:

3 Likes

I don’t think the word “ethical” should have been used, since it muddies the waters with vagueness and value judgements.

Is it ‘ethical’ to use FOSS that was developed by a Russian who supports the invasion of Ukraine? What about a FOSS project that was sponsored by Geoffrey Epstein - or for that matter by the British Royal Family?

I think it also could be considered that many of the software tools used by hackers are put onto the Internet as free and open source software.

1 Like

Sure and we know that the internet is only used for scams and distributing child pr0n, so clearly all network and internet-connected equipment is unethical.

The actual sense it was intended by the OP is mentioned in passing in: Free software - Wikipedia and I’m sure you can find other articles that explain the idea.

No, it doesn’t matter who wrote the code, how the person who wrote the code was funded (if at all), or how the software is used.

1 Like

FOSS is best discussed on Whirlpool forums and ethical considerations of developing or enabling its use, no matter how framed, does not appear to be something Choice has the capacity to champion, especially in these days of NBN when having something that works and is affordable and accessible across the country is still a work in progress.

@shauno’s points were well enunciated and as sometimes happens the topic thread has lost focus so I am closing it.

2 Likes