New Wash and the 'No Poo' movement

The ‘No poo’ movement is all about removing chemicals from shampoo and the hair washing process. @mrafferty tested New Wash to find out if it will clean your hair:

5 Likes

Shampoo, who needs it? I haven’t used it for years, regular natural locally made soap works just fine!
I’ve read the extensive list of ingredients on shampoo bottles in the past, lots of almost unpronounceable chemical compounds in there, not what I want to be rubbing into my scalp.

4 Likes

No poo, really? I would be more interested in a product that was no sham.

4 Likes

Great to see this review. I’m with the wash with warm water, no soap then brush brigade. Occasional use of our sensitive skin body wash may be required and seems ok too! Just a dash, not the volumes of oozing suds from the old TV adds.

The second shopper in the household is more particular, although out of their price range too!

At around $250 per litre and given the claims it leaves out all those bad chemicals, what’s the gold weighted ingredient?

Diamond dust?

Bee pee?

Marketing mud?

Is it worth knowing?

5 Likes

OMG who would pay that for shampoo when it likely contains chemicals etc - I do use a shampoo - Coal Tar -lately use Redwins at $4 approx as it is good for itchy scalp and has always been favourite in the family - any coal tar shampoo.
And of course no coal in it - TIC but if there is - good enough as coal put Australia on the map.

3 Likes

From the product label:

“Ingredients
Water, Sodium Laureth Sulphate, Cocomidopropyl Betaine, TEA-lauryl sulphate, Cocomide DEA, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Salicylate, Aloe Vera Leaf Extract, Birch Extract, Fragrance, Terasodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Glycerin, Caramel, Cl17200”

Many are the same synthetic detergents as found in most other shampoos and hand washes. Some are magical natural ingredients like the wonderful Aloe Vera, some are stabilisers, colour or preservatives.

So you are paying for ‘chemicals’. Just a slightly different concoction with a yellowish colour and (I am guessing here) a funny smell.

The only thing that relates to coal tar is the name. Many substances found in coal tar are toxic and known carcinogens.

6 Likes

A much cheaper option is to make your own shampoo.Aussie soap supplies sell kits to get you started but once you are used to making shampoo you can also buy the ingredients separately from them and try out different recipes from their book

4 Likes

I haven’t used shampoo for years, I use Dr Bronner’s pure castile liquid soap, you can wash you hair and body with it, it’s the only one that doesn’t make me itch, and my skin doesn’t feel oily after my shower.

4 Likes

It uses the basic precept of any soap ie fats/oil and lye combine to produce a soap. In this case organic oils are used (well they say they are organic so I accept that they are) and the lye compound is in this case potassium hydroxide rather than sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) so a liquid soap is the outcome rather than a solid soap. There are other soaps manufactured with Potassium Hydroxide and they make a liquid soap or a paste (never sets like a Sodium Hydroxide bar does).

The fat/oil is chemically changed by the lye to become the soap that foams and cleans, the alkaline solution is changed to become a “salt” using the fats as the other ingredient. A little colour , a little extra oil and /or perfume can be added to appeal to users but the addition of extra oil does reduce the effectiveness of the cleaning done.

Lye can be used to describe either NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) or KOH (Potassium Hydroxide), both are extremely alkaline and are dangerous if they contact skin, eyes, or are swallowed.

What could cause itching is the addition of perfumes that your body is sensitive to or colours or some other addition to the soap to make it more attractive to the user.

7 Likes

One’s level of education has no bearing on the toxicity of a thing.

2 Likes

Maybe you were on the mark…

3 Likes

Indeed (I have done 2 years of chem at uni), but relying on possibly dodgy industry funded testing of the effects of industrial chemicals on your health is not something I’m interested in doing!

3 Likes

I agree, only washed my hair with water when I shower for the last 15 years +, dandruff went away and has never reappeared. What a ripoff shampoo is for men - might be different for women but for blokes, cope with oily hair for a few weeks until your scalp stabilizes and then all is OK.

4 Likes