New report reveals Australia's most unhealthy fast food meals

A report from the George Institute (PDF) has revealed the unhealthiest fast food meals, hoping to support government, business and community efforts to help Australians eat healthier diets.

7 Likes

I like that they report on the ā€˜most unhealthyā€™ - an important point one hopes is lost on no one ā€¦

9 Likes

I assume that to get to see the source report that ranks all the meal options you need to use the link in the Good Food article. And then enter your personal details to receive a copy by email.

Iā€™ve also often wondered which take-a-way meal or upsized Combo offer provided the most energy for the least cost. Health values ignored.

More practically how far does the same amount of money go if you are preparing a family meal? One for the food challenges perhaps @vax2000. Best tasting easy and balanced healthy family meal for four on $20, $30, or $40? I suspect an outing to any of the fast food chains with a family of four might easily hit $30-40 or higher. And most can do a winter family roast with plenty of veges and greens for similar.

Edit note
Is this the report intended in the previous link @BrendanMays

7 Likes

I am surprised that there is still a big market for such ā€˜rubbishā€™ foods. Many will blame the fast food companies, but if one doesnā€™t purchase these types if foods, the companies would change their tune in relation to what they offer.

One is not compelled fast food, it is a consumer that chooses to and makes their own purchase decisions.

Fast food companies, which is starting to happen, are providing more information about the unhealthiness of their foods. There is room for improvement on information given at time of purchaseā€¦but is this likely to sway a customerā€™s decision as existing information provided hasnā€™t changed demand for such foods.

5 Likes

May I suggest that the younger generationsā€™ response to the unhealthy foods mirrors previous generationsā€™ response to cigarettes; ie ā€˜it canā€™t happen to meā€™. So they continue to consume because they perceive themselves to be bulletproof, until itā€™s too late.

3 Likes

My husband loves that bacon cheese rippa mega box combo. I think its primarily psychological - he is a big guy (very tall, broad frame) so he feels like he needs the biggest meal on the menuā€¦ which is causing him to be bigger in less desirable ways as well.
I donā€™t buy chips or fries ever, or carbonated drinks, because my stomach canā€™t handle eitherā€¦ and yet my roast chicken wrap and bottle of water doesnā€™t cost much less than his MEGA BOX, and I think thatā€™s part of the psychological element too. He wants a drink with his food, and it doesnt cost much extra to add chipsā€¦ and gravyā€¦ and wingsā€¦ etc.

I wonder what would happen if the concept of ā€œcombosā€ was banned. If people had to purchase each individual item at full price, would people make better choices? Like just the roll/burger and a drink?

7 Likes

Hungry Jackā€™s Aussie burger. and I love chips. Iā€™m amazed I am still alive. What I dont get though is the number of burger or roll offering which have things like hash browns in themā€¦ why does anyone need a hash brown in a roll? I can understand a chip buttie that you make yourself but that is ridiculous. then, add battered onion rings as well. UGH.

4 Likes

Totally agree. Even the famous Blackwater works burgers famed for their dinner plate sized buns and one of everything sold at a fast food grill, put the chips on the side.

A meal for two or four once quartered, although after a tough day driving a big truck, what more could you need for just one? Best accompanied by a couple of six packs, coke, a forty pounder and some time with the mates. :yum:

And an RDO the next day of course.

6 Likes