New category - Naming competition - Gardening

We’re starting a new category in the Community for discussions around all things gardening. The new category could include topics such as personal landscaping projects, tips & tricks from avid gardeners, discussions on hydro/aquaponics and more. While this topic already fits well under the outdoor category, we want to create a new space that’s welcoming to gardening that might not necessarily be outdoors. We’ll also be keeping an eye out for champions for this new category.

The only question is what should we call this category? Is “gardening” the perfect fit, or should we call it something else? You decide!

Leave a suggestion in the comments below. Poll to follow

6 Likes

Gardening by Choice.

Not that anyone who gardens does so under sufferance. They call that mowing! :joy:

10 Likes

How about the slogan of the WWI diggers at Gallipoli?

“Dig We Must”.

6 Likes

Do you want to start a holy war about the need to dig?

2 Likes

“Gardening” may suggest specific and narrow range of activities depending on how you look at it. I am trying to find something short that covers indoor and outdoor, growing for food and for looks alone, and both.

As even the most xeriscaped yard has something growing in it so for now I am going with Space to Grow My aim is to cover the basic process of growing stuff and that to do so, for looks or for food, you have to manage spaces. Some have little space, some have much, in all cases space has to be managed somehow but there are many ways to do so with different costs and outcomes. Please forgive the ambiguity about who or what might do the growing, I have these dark urges your see, to play with words, just can’t help it really.

6 Likes

Good food for thought! Perhaps ‘horticulture’ is a better way of defining what the category will encompass?

3 Likes

Just call it gardening . I think that would suffice . Later on if it starts to diverge in different directions i.e hydroponics , raised bed etc , sub categories could be added .

9 Likes

How about Gardening & Gardens?

9 Likes

Scientific, descriptive of the person who knows about growing stuff in a nursery.
Botanists know about how and where things grow.
Jamie Durie apparently knows about how to arrange things that a Horticulturist might grow and a Botanist might suggest suits a site. Garden Designer?

I just try to get the plants in the back yard to regenerate as more natural bushland for the frogs and snakes and …
The neighbours would likely use other forms of endearment other than the above.

Growing plants and taking pleasure is supposed to make you feel good. Although I spend most of the time doing the opposite, exterminating weeds.

6 Likes

Green Fingers

Just for a laugh: Ooops I soiled my plants

9 Likes

I think Gardening would be sufficient. There can be subcategories for indoor or outdoor, fruit and veg, pests, weeds and how to control them, yada yada yada.

9 Likes

Ground roots

7 Likes

Growing & Garden? Although that might invite Baby & Toddler, and BBQs & patio settings.
The Green Thumb? Green Fingers? - but you would have to know what that phrase meant.
Gardens? or In the Garden? - might cover growing plants and outdoor living, but not indoor.
The Backyard? - discriminates against those who Front yard :wink: … A bit restrictive?
The Patch - although I think Gardening Australia might “own” that one.
Botanica?
Plant It?

7 Likes

Unrestricted Greenery.

Although I think a simple “Gardening”
category would cover it well.

7 Likes

Weeds & I

8 Likes

LOL Are you making a statement about the condition of your plants there @PhilT?

6 Likes

Like this?

3 Likes

Thanks. An interesting concept.

4 Likes

What about something simple and catchy like:

“The domestic cultivation and promotion of all things flora, including relevant paraphernalia and accoutrements”

Or perhaps, another option would be:

“gardening”

10 Likes

The Source.

3 Likes