Netflix ‘Dodgy-ness’

I was considering trying Netflix’s cheap add-supported subscription service. However, I’m aware hundreds of programs from their library are not included in that level subscription.

I contacted Netflix to ask for a list of all the programs not included. Nope… ‘we don’t provide that. Simply subscribe and you’ll see which programs have a locked symbol next to them indicating a higher level subscription required’…

May I have a free trial so I can see for my self? Nope.

So, you have to pay up to see what product you are buying! Is that even legal under Australian consumer laws?

It’s only $7 but it’s the principle that annoyed me.

Forcing me to pay to see if the programs I know are on Netflix, are then included in that level subscription. Just seems wrong; bordering on scam.

9 Likes

There are quite a number of third party web sites that list the catalogues of the streaming services, conditions and features. Whether any directly compare the full Netflix list with the restricted plan I cannot say. Aside from content they may also help you find a service that has T&Cs that suit you more as that information is often presented in comparative tables.

6 Likes

A quick search identified this page. It has a list of (currently 6,553) titles available on the Netflix advertising plan.

https://www.finder.com.au/netflix-ad-supported-tier

7 Likes

Do consumers know if what they paid for is the whole program, series or movie?

In a recent twist, the Australian Classification Board has become an unlikely bedfellow in the fight against prudishness. In 2016, the Australian government allowed Netflix to classify their own movies due to the sheer volume the online streamer was submitting to the Australian Classification Board. This unintentionally resulted in a shift towards more squeamish American standards: ….
………
In 2020, the Australian Classification Board formally submitted their concerns with Netflix’s tool, writing that it had “irrevocably shifted the Australian classification standard away from Australian cultural mores, to those operative in North America … where the American tolerance [for language, sex and nudity in particular] is less than the allowance made by Australian consumers.” The tabled report sat on a shelf for three years until it was released by the Albanese government in March.

More than one way to be dudded …. :shushing_face:

2 Likes