NBN SCAM . Be careful of this one

Our area in SE Qld must be on the target list for robocall scammers at the moment. While the past two days the number of calls has been less (2-3 calls per day), earlier in the wekk and last week there were up to 6-8 calls per day. The callers use 029****** or 039**** numbers and hang up as soon as the answering machine kicks in.

One did leave a fairly blunt message saying ’ Can you please pick up the phone’. I assume that they are having less success with people not answering unknown calls and if they make a comment like this and one hears it, one is more likely to pick up the phne and engage with them.

A couple of occasions when I have had enough, I have picked up the phone and waited for the call to be connected and then either left it off th hook or blew a high pitched whistle, then hanging up.

I also use my called the local police station and tracing their call from time to time to.

I am getting sick of the call though and feel sorry for the elderly or those who are less resilient to temptation than myself…

3 Likes

Yes, I thought of using a whistle. I called back with the *69 number and heard “Operator not connecting” or something similar. The hassle of changing my landline number - I’ll use the whistle instead! Thanks, phb.

2 Likes

“A couple of occasions when I have had enough, I have picked up the phone and waited for the call to be connected and then either left it off the hook or blew a high pitched whistle, then hanging up.”
Yes, this is very tempting; however, the poor schmuck making the call is just a lowly, and low-paid, drone who is trying to earn at least some money. The thieves who are responsible for the scam are always much higher up the chain. So I am (usually) at least moderately polite to the caller, and attempt to cut the call short. If they persist, however, then I get short with them. If they are rude I simply hang up immediately.
(NB: I worked in a Helstra call centre and totally understood how customers could get upset with how they are treated, but I drew the line at abuse from customers when I was not the person who had caused them the grief. I would honestly try to solve the problem for them (at first, anyway). Being abused for that is a massive disincentive to helping them any further. Please keep that in mind when dealing with a genuine call centre operator! Especially some poor schmuck from Helstra!)

2 Likes

Leaving aside the question of whether the NBN is actually “near completion”:

4 Likes

Another day, another phone call at meal time with a sing-song foreign accent in a big noisy room.

I am speaking to “Jenny” from the NBN who informs me that my NBN connection is about to be upgraded to fibre to the premises! O wow now I am excited!

Except that I am over the hills and far away and lucky to get fixed wireless, the chance of running fibre to my house is no better than my postman dropping a platinum bar in my letterbox next Wednesday.

The NBN scam has mutated gain. Its just trying to get access to your computer or personal details.

1 Like