Nature's Own Ultra Krill Capsules

We bought a number of bottles of Ultra Krill late in 2019 and when they were opened the capsules were slimy, had a very stong odour and had a horrid taste. They were far removed from the previous capsules we have been using for a few years.
The batch number we had is 1547854. We contacted Nature’s Own and the replaced our bottles with a later batch but these were the same. We tried to communicate further with Nature’s Own without success.

Has anyone else had the same issue?

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum @sandcrab,

Over the years I have found, from my own observations and research, that most of the mass branded krill on our markets is ‘2nd rate’ although it meets the requirements to be sold as krill and is safe.

When looking for krill, even though it is a natural product and the ‘manufacturers’ state they are all the same, they are not. You might find this older topic interesting. Note some of the data in it is old enough to be no longer applicable; Swisse for example changed ownership since as well as suppliers as far as I can tell.

These days I have been using Caruso product with never a worry.

If it has a strong odour and taste it could be rancid. Of the many krills I have tried over the years the worst smelling had a faint odour. None were slimy. As a minimum based on your experience I would make a report to the chemist where you purchased them, change brands, and per the other topic, look for products clearly labelled with the EPA/DHA and look for those with higher amounts.

It could also be bad storage rather than the product as it leaves their plant, so if you like the brand you might try a batch from a different shop.

I suggest reporting your experience to the TGA although in my experience as long as there are no ill effects from supplements they are not interested, but if no report is made they can claim ‘no problems and no worries.’

5 Likes

Should we be eating krill at all. It is the basic food for so many sea creatures and it should remain in the ocean, not in our well fed bellies !

3 Likes

Welcome to the .community @ritasquire

I empathise with the thought but for those taking krill it is not a food product (thus stating users’ ‘well fed bellies’ seems curious), it is a supplement that helps (in my case) old worn joints.

It does not help everyone to the same extent or at all. The same can be written for other supplements that are efficacious for old worn joints or arthritis.

A real issue is that capitalism is quick to identify way to make dollars, and once any product is reported rightly or wrongly to ‘be good’ it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy that companies start marketing it as a mass ‘super product’ and many people buy it because they can, not because they need it but because they have been sold it.

Therein lies the problem; economics are amoral in many if not most economies and products sell and put dollars in pockets and thus food on the table and roofs over heads. Sustainability and morality in market economies are comparatively new concepts, but as with many things when a product is helpful to humans but depletes a basic oceanic food supply, who and how is that going to be managed when dollars make everything work in these times?

4 Likes