Myths and Vaping

Another article regarding the dangers of vaping.

2 Likes

Before we all knee-jerk ourselves into whiplash, it might be better to investigate and let the facts tell the story.

I donā€™t presume to say that vaping is safe, but the cause of the current panic is NOT traditional vaping. Millions of people around the globe are vaping, and suddenly there is a cluster of illness in the US?
The CDC is investigating, and look what they are finding . . .
'A current suspect in the outbreak is vitamin E acetate, sometimes used as a cannabis vape cartridge additive. Itā€™s a popular new diluent thickener found mostly in illicit market THC vape carts. ā€™
The usual story of unscrupulous sellers trying to increase their profit margin.

This additive is not used in normal vape products but used by a few unscrupulous traders and backyarders to dilute cannabis oil vape cartridges in an effort to ā€˜cutā€™ their product. Even the Nine News story has the guy using THC vapes as well as standard vape products and while a search engine will readily tell you all this, it seems Ch 9 (along with many others) would rather rail against vaping, the new cause de jour than do some basic research!.

I mix my own vape juice using food grade components, same ones used to make the e-juice that millions are using. I smoked tobacco for a long time but switched to vaping 7 years ago. I have regular medical checkups and my Doctor is very pleased at the improvement my health has shown since I quit cigarettes. And yes, he knows that I vape, and while he is sceptical he does admit that I show every sign of having given up smoking with no sign of problems from vaping.

Iā€™ll just keep informed and wait for the investigation to reveal the problem, not let Ch 9 tell me what to think.

2 Likes

How do you know this is the case? How does one know that any product ingredient is safe when vaped?

Unfortunately one doesnā€™t know the ingredients of the compounds they are vaping, as the e-cigarette industry is mostly unregulated. There are no requirements in relation to what can and canā€™t be added to e-cigarette compounds (that being the fluid used to for the inhalant).

It is only regulated when the product contains nicotine. NSW Health also states, from e-cigarette compounds sold in Australia that ā€œE-cigarettes are not harm-free and may expose users and bystanders to chemicals that are harmful to health.ā€.

If I vaped, would I be concernedā€¦the answer would be yes as one is playing Russian roulette in relation to the ingredients which may be within e-cigarette compounds and what they may do to the body.

The likely problems identified in the US (and also have the potential to occur here), may result in the e-cigarette industry being regulated no differently to say medicines or the tobacco industry. This may be a good thing to those who current use such products as it may assist in the removal of those ingredients which prove to have health consequences over time and when known.

Another point worth making is the inhaling of any compounds (vaping, tobacco, stimulants etc) are not ā€˜naturalā€™ and the human body has not developed/evolved to counteract the effects of the inhaling of such products. This is often why over time the inhaling of many materials and products are found to have health consequences.

3 Likes

Another article warning of the dangers of vaping.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/health/medical/the-mysterious-vaping-illness-thats-becoming-an-epidemic/ar-AAGI7N1?ocid=spartandhp

1 Like

Yes, sometimes the media does itself a disservice with sensationalising content. Itā€™s great that you have given up conventional tobacco products.

With vaping, perhaps there is more to know.
The same could have been said about asbestos in the 1950/60ā€™s, or tobacco in the 1930/40ā€™s, or opium in the 19th century.

The diseases of silicosis and Coal workersā€™ pneumoconiosis (CWP), were only identified long after industries and workplaces had first exposed workers to the supposedly benign substances of silica and coal dust. Stuff that was in various forms all around people in every day life. Perfectly safe in everyday use, until!

Today there is still no cure for either seriously debilitating and life threatening conditions. Once the diseases become apparent, itā€™s too late. Time to check the bucket list and ensure it is near empty when you kick it. Apparently a good strategy, that bit hurts less as full buckets weigh more. :flushed:

For now perhaps the risk with Vaping is no different.

Of course if vaping is bad for the user, it will also be bad for everyone else in the near vicinity. Perhaps we need to return the days of Victorian England with dedicated smoking rooms, and as for much of Japan limits on where individuals can light up.

2 Likes

Another article regarding the dangers of vaping.

2 Likes

Another article regarding vaping.

https://honey.nine.com.au/latest/vaping-mystery-illness/e93d230a-5ae4-420e-8536-d20da8961a5c

They just keep on coming.

India to ban vaping.

3 Likes

If you have any interest in the vaping debate for, against, or undecided, please . . . watch this video.

My defence of vaping is because I was one of the many who could not give up cigarettes, as nothing available could counter the habit, the routine of smoking, the countless triggers. Gums, sprays, patches, whatever, donā€™t do it at all well. Vaping has certainly added years to my life even if there are harms involved as those harms donā€™t compare with tobacco harms.

Do I loathe BIG tobacco? Yes, but when I was a kid my dad looked just like the Marlboro Man on TV so the ads worked a treat.
Cigarette smokers, if they want to continue, should be registered and the sale of cigarettes should only be available by prescription. The nicotine in vape liquids should also be treated this way and offered as an alternative at the consultation. Vaping should be used as another tool in the fight to eliminate cigarettes. Britain has done so and itā€™s working very well for them. Their peak medical body is in full support.
Like many other consumables, vaping supplies should be regulated to ensure consumer safety.
Politicians need to pull heads out of sand and legislate vaping like alcohol and tobacco, no sale under 18.

Donā€™t mean to rant but this one is close to my heart and too many good ideas are getting killed off by the media. Like the Marlboro Man, repeat a misleading news story often enough and it becomes taken as gospel. Politicians are using that to great effect now much to the detriment of rational debate.

Vaping isnā€™t yet known to kill people or give them lung disease, but inhaling vitamin E oil tainted THC concentrate is, and there is a big difference between the two.

1 Like

Another article regarding vaping.

1 Like

This vaping thing looks like it is just getting more murky and more grubby.

Perhaps they need the Marrboro Man to ride in to the rescue before that instragient Camel smoker arrives to threaten everyone that he would rather fight than switch.

An article regarding research into metals found in the vapour of e-cigarettes.

2 Likes

I wonder how long before the government starts regulating e-cigarettes, like say medicines or tobacco based cigarettes.

There is enough evidence to indicate that e-cigarettes are targeted at children/teenagers, it increases the likelihood of children/teenagers taking up smoking (possibly why the tobacco giants are interested in e-cigarette industry) and that e-cigarettes are not as safe as originally thought.

The government has a key role to protect its citizens, and this is a good example of when it should step in and start regulating the industry. At the moment it appears it is run by anyone who wishes to make a ā€˜quick buck on a new fadā€™.

4 Likes

The Tobacco industry is not a leopard who has changed itā€™s spots, it is still the same beast with the same desire to be in that market and to make profits. It has always tried to target the youth so that later on the youth take up the habits that produce income for the industry. Nothing has changed other than perhaps the delivery methodsā€¦nicotine gum anyone??

5 Likes

An article regarding advice for parents whose children are vaping.

3 Likes

Yeah interesting though how the CEO of Juulā„¢ Labs Inc says he hoped there was not anything they did that made it appealing to them [young people]. As it was a public statement I have to assume he was being serious but would I be blamed for feeling skeptical? Many flavors made to taste like lollies etc you would have to think who were the target demographic they pitched the products at?

5 Likes
3 Likes

Another article regarding research into vaping.

2 Likes

And another . . . and in the interests of fair play letā€™s not just focus on the negative.

Neither negative nor substantive evidence e-cigarettes are not harmful to health.

There are many serious and deadly lung conditions that are undetectable until some trigger occurs. Silicosis, asbestosis and black lung disease, are three well known examples.

For those wanting to abandon the drug effects of smoking and reduce risk, perhaps under supervision e-cigarettes are a step, but not a life long solution?

Should anyone who is not a longtime mature smoker take up e-cigarettes and expect it to be harmless?

There is only one way to be sure, and that is to not do it!

3 Likes