My Vegetable Patch - sharing photos and stories

This thread has been started for the community to share pictures and information about their Vegetable Patch, and what they have growing at the moment which may be of interest to others.

If you see something you like and have a question, you are more than welcome to ask.

To get the ball rolling…

A couple of shots of our Tassie vege patch almost in its winter sleep. Some summer crops ., which are frost tolerant, hanging on ready for harvesting…

We have 4 beds, each about 4-5m x 2m. The netting are to keep the competition out. We find without the netting, everything gets grazed. Yes, citrus can be grown in Tassie. Best to grown in a glasshouse if one was guaranteed success. We have a lemon in ours and just need to remember to water it from time to time.

And we have an imitation owl that works so well (didn’t buy it but was here when we arrived), we have to net the garden beds. It is as useful as a watering can without a spout.

Celeriac and leeks. Celeriac will be overwintered and hopefully develop the swollen root next summer. The leaves and stem can be eaten and used like celery.

I have mentioned mangelwursels elsewhere. This is what they look like. These ones are small only being around 3kg. If you like beetroot, you’ll like mangelwursel…use it thevway you would use beetroot. We have a few beetroot as well which will be eaten (roasted), in coming weeks.

More leeks and Asian chives on the left…chives are senesing in the cold but will come back in spring. Delicious stir fried with a splash of Chinese cooking wine, garlic and eggs.

On the right is asparagus planted last winter. Will be cut back to ground level and another year to grow before harvesting.

In Tassie we have found it yard to source our favourite Asian greens, so we now grow our own. All have been eaten and will replant in spring.

For those who are interested, the soil is a kraznozem/ferrosol. A reasonably fertile soil, but need to apply phosphorus regularly as the iron and aluminium oxides (sesquioxides) bind up free phosphorus making it unavailable for plants, causing deficiencies.

5 Likes

Those owls are amazing. A neighbour has one he bought for the feral pigeons. They love to perch on it. I bought one too. Not impressed. A solar powered one with flashing eyes, a rotating head & funny noises. The pigeons were very interested. I have now taken to regularly offering the pigeons a bath with the garden hose whenever I see them on my roof.

3 Likes

We gave up trying to grow our veg in the soil quite a few years ago, as it required far too much water in hot summer conditions, and we only have rainwater from the roof to supply us.
Much better results from growing veg in the aquaponics systems, for about 1/10 of the water consumption, plus we get to eat Rainbow Trout a few times per week.
Time lapse video of my first, smaller AP system as I was setting it up:
1st 3 months aquaponics veg growing

4 Likes