Mobility/electric scooters

p.s. yes, we bought new batteries locally but can not yet find the manual, at home or on line, (a SolaxS2082) but I’m sure there was nothing about the short-trip charging problem in it on first reading after purchase. PB.

1 Like

Is this your scooter?

Only Nickel Cadmiun (NiCad) batteries suffer from memory effect. Short trips with lead acid batteries would be irrevelant. The salesperson either does not know what they are talking about or they are trying to fob you off.

Has your battery charger been checked, as if it is not fully charging the batteries, this could lead to early battery failure?

1 Like

It may be worthwhile looking for a replacement intelligent battery charger to suit the type of battery you have.

The data sheet per @Fred123 says the battery is a 24V 12Ah with a 2A charger. But no other details. The assumption here is it is not a wet, car style battery! Likely an AGM type, 2 of 12V? Assume you know what type you purchased as a replacement. Certainly a faulty charger is going to have a big impact on the battery life as @Fred123 said. Of note, a 350W motor mobility scooter would typically have a higher capacity battery (35-40Ah), from looking at some on line.

Of general interest, we recently had a fault with our Hoover stick vacuum and the battery not charging. We had to return the vacuum and the charger so that Hoover could be sure of the correct remedy under warranty. It came back with a new battery and charger.

1 Like

Thanks again- this is our scooter, except for a couple of discrepancies which differ from the scooter we have. I have found the original manual supplied- it is rear-wheel drive, not 4wd, the (lead-acid) batteries are 2x12v 18aH, not 24aH, and there is no info at all about how often/what stage of discharge the batteries should be re-charged from. The ‘mystery switch’ on the console-not mentioned in the manual- we worked out operates the sensors enabling a quick stop on approaching obstacles. The charger appears to be working (this also being a warranty replacement after the original failed… do I smell lemons?). I am waiting for info regarding Lifestyle’s battery suppliers, who gave them the alternate information to what everyone else is saying. I will take the old dud batteries to Repco soon for a load test then… Thickening plot. PB.

2 Likes

Hi, I have to start using a mobility scooter very soon. I need one that is suitable to get on and off buses and also for shopping. Any suggestions for scooters and companies. Thanks Rosebud

2 Likes

Hi @Rosebud welcome to the Community.

I have moved you post into this existing topic as it covers much of what you are asking. I am sure you will get helpful responses to your request.

If you are a member of CHOICE, once you decide on a model you may benefit from CHOICE’s Shopper Service which may help you get a better price/deal.

2 Likes

Hi Grahroll, yep I’m a choice member. I had a quick look at other posts, so I will have another look and thanks for the tip on choice getting me a better price. Cheers Rosebud

2 Likes

Our pleasure to help and I hope you get great value out of the Topic and the Community.

1 Like

I’m still looking, too. The nearest bus stop for me is 500m away and I simply cannot walk that far, though a friend has recently given me her Dad’s old Rollator walker (he never even got to use it before he passed away) and I should see if I can get there with the walker… one of the issues as I see it, is getting onto a bus with any contraption. I suppose there are buses which let you drive on but I don’t think any service my area.

My suggestion would be to go for the lightest possible scooter you can get which has a reasonable load capacity, and one which you can press a button on, to make it fold up, so you don’t need to be restricted to certain kinds of buses. The Solax Mobie looks pretty good but not cheap.

2 Likes

Hi SueW, I live in Perth Western Australia and our buses are Cats which are good in that they have roll out ramps but the big issuecis being able to turn easily once inside otherwise it would be dangerous backing down the ramp. I’ve looked at a couple, the Pride ZeroTurn Scooter seems to be a good one but I never believe the sales pitch even on websites. If anyone has knowledge of this particular brand I would appreciate some advice. Regards Rosebud

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of a zero turn scooter. It sounds like it would be very useful. Is there no local distributor/purveyor you could go to and actually see it in action? Or alternatively check on youtube to see if there are any videos which show how it works…

I have watched a video, it looks very good. I’m not sure whether there is a local distributor, I’ve just started my research so will need to investigate further.

Public or private transport providers should be contacted for advice on the conditions of use. They also importantly have maximum dimensions of the loaded mobility scooter or wheel chair.

One example - Translink QLd.

https://translink.com.au/travel-with-us/accessibility

Yeah… in Newcastle we have a peculiar mix of bus services. The main service (Newcastle Buses) actually does not service the whole of Newcastle. Out here in the western burbs, we are serviced by Hunter Valley buses. Newcastle Buses is no longer State run, anyway, and the current mob are running the service into the ground… and they want to run Sydney buses as well. Sad if they do. either way, the accessible buses are on routes not available to me.

There are two broad ‘types’ of scooters, one being the ‘traveller’ with a long wheel base and the other being the ‘householder’ with a short wheel base capable of 360 degree pivots in place. The latter can be used to go out and about although not to the extent of the ‘traveller’ style, and the former is not house friendly.

The most important aspect of a turn-in-place scooter is how stable it is whilst rotating in place. No matter how rugged or long life a battery, it comes back to the safety aspects since turn-in-place is usually such a regular ‘operation’.

If one cannot test drive a scooter make sure you ask the questions in writing about what you need and your priorities so if it does not work out, you may be able to use the ACL having been sold ‘an inappropriate product for your stated need’ if it came to that. Exchange and return policies are paramount.

1 Like

Here is some type of mobility scooter I witnessed today in Mt Sheridan being driven in the bicycle lane despite there being good concrete footpaths on both sides of the road.

Unlike other mobility scooters, no limited registration displayed and unlike bicycle riders, no helmet needed.

A person who I have known for decades who is or was suffering with Alzheimer’s Disease used to ride his proper mobility scooter on the footpath on this same road which ironically leads to the local cemetery and crematorium.

1 Like

Some clarification, possibly essential for scooter users in Mount Sheridan, and elsewhere north of the Qld NSW Border Bubble.

Perhaps the user was avoiding the bindis from the grass along the footpath embedding in the tyres, or worse punctures from those terrible NQ giant sensitive weeds. Lacking is any sign of growth in the concrete footpath. :wink:

1 Like

As shown in the image, there are good footpaths on both sides of this road.

And from the PDF you provided a link to.

“Footpaths must be used wherever possible to avoid riding on the road.”

“You must not use your wheelchair or mobility scooter on the road in the same way as a car.”

“A wheelchair or mobility scooter can only be taken on the road if there is no footpath, pathway or nature strip available, and only where a pedestrian is allowed to walk.”

“If you do need to use the road, stay as close as possible to the side of the road, and travel in the opposite direction to traffic so you have good visibility.”.

“If you need to cross a road, always cross at the safest possible point. Use pedestrian crossings, traffic lights or refuge islands if available. You must obey all traffic signals intended for pedestrians,”

“In Queensland, a motorised wheelchair that is used outside of the home, for example on footpaths and to cross roads, must be registered with the department.”

“Registration is provided free of charge and includes compulsory third party insurance which may
protect the user against compensation claims for personal injury following a crash (for example, a crash between a motorised wheelchair and a pedestrian on the footpath where the motorised wheelchair user was at fault).”

So in summary, here we have a contraption which appears to be not legally useable outside a residence, being driven on a road where good footpaths were provided, without displaying the compulsory free registration, and without the person wearing a helmut.

The person I referred to in my previous post was one of the people involved in drag racing in my younger days but who was struck down with MS and confined to a mobility scooter, and who used to travel this same route, but he had no problems in correctly using his mobility scooter.

2 Likes

Then there was this couple of years ago

1 Like

At least the individual in the photo is heading away from the cemetery/crematorium ! perhaps the gravediggers will give chase …

3 Likes