Expectation vs reality - food labels/pictures gone wrong

I would be more than happy to add anything else i see that is fake ok.Tell me when are they going to start making food that is healthy cheaper and charge more for unhealthy foods. My health is not overly good and i have to change what i am eating. I just cannot believe how hard it is trying to find foods with less salt and same with less sugar. Are they ever going to make these food companies force change in order for all of us to not die young due to bad and addictive foods. I am trying to change my eating habits which is not real easy to do. I just understand when walking into supermarkets how many isles are full of fatty sugary unhealthy foods. I remember not if im correct that they were going to put clear labels on packaging how healthy food is.Im afraid with so many Australians obese and i know i have been told to lose weight just really scares me how many of us will have health conditions in the near future.Someone has to do alot more encouraging all of us to eat better. I feel many processed foods are just so fake and have very little nutrition or any benefit apart from making us more addicted to sugar and salt. Just my opinion but someone needs to far far more.

4 Likes

Interesting comment that food companies may have such a narrow short term outlook. They are maximising today’s returns and profits for short term gains.

While at the same time they may be killing the golden goose?

Our current corporate culture rewards annually with bonuses and dividends. There are few rewards for long term achievement or forward planning ( market dominance excluded)?

3 Likes

When is a markdown not a markdown?

I spotted this one at our local Supa IGA today amongst the packs of lambs’ fry which were all marked down by 50%, except this one.

Oops! image

3 Likes

… when they mark down the value … :wink: Good old lambs fry - the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast !!

4 Likes

Looks like human/operator error as it appears that the discount label has been fixed to the wrong product/package.

The original label was lambs fry, but the discount label was for lamb hearts.

4 Likes

Whilst shopping at Woollies in Nambour yesterday, I spotted these vegan products at the end of the meat cabinet.

It appears that some producers have stopped labelling their products with words associated with real meat.

Generic warnings about “tree nuts” are useless. Useless for me as walnuts, pecans, macadamias, etc are no problem for me but I get bad reactions to almonds. They all grow on trees, versus peanuts which are “ground nuts” (not to be confused with nuts which have been ground into slivers, bits, meal, or “nut flour”)

3 Likes

What an unfortunate placement of words :upside_down_face:
This pic of a Dick Smith product was sent in by one of our Facebook followers.

10 Likes

And this one which I could not decide whether to post it under Hard Word, Pretend Meat or Scams categories.

Whilst shopping at our local Coles this afternoon, I saw this misleadingly labelled product.

3 Likes

The product clearly states ‘Chicken Free Chicken’ on the label, so I’m not sure we can call this misleading. However, we understand there is a lot of consumer interest in how these products are labelled and comments are welcome, please just keep in mind our forum rules. This is a place for civilised discussion around ideas, not for name calling or attacks.

4 Likes

I suggest one point is the statement ‘wild meaty chunks’. I am not sure how ‘clean lean plant protein’ would constitute being meaty. Normally meat or meaty means animals meat, not a plant based protein. The term wild is also interesting…I don’t know of any commercially grown plants which would be considered wild…maybe feral chickens would be though.

It is also interesting that the ‘chicken free’ and ‘clean lean plant protein’ is of different font size and colour to ‘CHICKEN’, making them less prominent (doesn’t stand out as much on the label). And then include a dominating picture of a chicken… I could see that some customers may accidentally purchase the product thinking it was based on chicken meat.

8 Likes

‘Wild meaty chunks’, civility not assured?

‘Chicken’, who are you calling chicken? Oi!

:grin:

More seriously, when consumers are faced with alternate brand invented meanings of common language, the alternate chicken product might still conform to accepted marketing norms.

Eg
‘wild’ might be simply describing a taste sensation. KFC has ‘wicked’ chicken. Nothing new then?

‘Meaty’ can be used to describe texture or flavour as opposed to source of a product?

‘Chicken’ is a bit of a stretch, although many products described as being from the feathered livestock, barely contain any?

Labelling the product as ‘chicken free chicken’ seems to clarify that situation. I guess they could alternately say ‘chicken tasting chunks’. Is it as catchy?

5 Likes

Yes being solid, substantial as in beefsteak tomatoes. Also umami, which is a flavour that can be produced by many things including fungi and microbes. Using ‘meaty’ is not good but to me forgivable.

However I do agree that the naming and image of chicken is confusing. If you are going to sell manufactured vegetable products high in protein why do you have to call them by a kind of meat? The prominent image is particularly annoying to me, this is the first thing that registers, you shouldn’t have to read the text to find out it is not a chicken product. Some people shop by images (as if advertisers didn’t know) and others cannot read English or at all. I don’t know if a picture of a pea would help but at least don’t confuse the issue with one of a chook.

This is very like the products that are named after fruit (eg strawberry) that don’t contain that fruit. I would be happy with ‘Chickenish Chunks’ ™ but I think it is taken.

8 Likes

Nationals vote to crack down on non-animal milks and meats. I think this is fair enough as a broad principle.

Using “milk” to refer to many white fluids that is not the secretion of a mammary is common and has been around for a long time and people know that almonds do not have mammaries. Maybe that passes with a push.

OTOH calling a non-meat the name of a specific kind of meat is definitely misleading especially if using the image of that meat animal or bird.

7 Likes

I wonder if they will propose a new name for the galaxy we live in? I haven’t seen many mammaries in the sky lately :wink:

5 Likes

Nor have I seen farmers milking peanuts.

Farewell peanut butter, hello peanut paste!
Not the only nuts to consider? :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Surely the “tastes like chicken” is the descriptor used for any unidentifiable meat, right.

“Have you tried the greater lesser three toed elkfish?”
“Yes on our last visit to Monrolva. Came across someone cooking it on a campfire”.
“Oh right. What did it taste like?”
“Tastes like chicken!”

4 Likes

There are alternate definitions including ‘full of substance’ as well as ‘fleshy, brawny’ or ‘full of interest’… it might stretch it in context, but.

Yesterday in Coles I saw a 4kg box of product for $16 and exactly the same product in a 2kg box next to it for $16.50! I suspect those grabbing the 2kg boxes might be the same customers who might not pay any attention to their purchases beyond the headline label. Excepting for possible colour blindness issues the size and colouring of the primary text stands out well for me and seems selected to highlight aspects while being ‘light and bright’ implying healthy or low something or other.

If I wanted to either sell my ware or change your behaviour to eat less dead bird protein, I would indeed chose my words carefully to promote my product while not putting potential customers off.

8 Likes

… like not saying “made from yellow peas” … I wonder how many people are standing around the pot ‘contributing’ :wink:

10 Likes

When sugar is more than the total of carbohydrates (which should include the sugar).
IMG_00721|333X250

IMG_00711|333X250

9 Likes