Minimum length post (20?)

Particularly if we want to find out what happens in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.

7 Likes

I don’t think in most cases the 20 character limit is an obstacle on the site. But there are times a smaller limit might indeed be a happy answer. If you like a post why is there a need to address it further with a y, n, :+1: when you can simply like the post. If you like part of a post but wish to add further to it most times I think an answer/response ends up requiring more than 20 characters and also adds to the discussion rather than detracts. I also feel that a small limit may in fact remove quality from responses when we should really be aiming for quality and showing why we might disagree or agree or add additional perspective to a topic (whether in agreement or disagreement).

Can an individual topic be easily set to allow less characters in a response or is it a site wide setting? If this can be done for those that require a simple single response then when a topic is created that choice can be made. Though in many cases why not just create a poll to ascertain the totals of agreement, disagreement or neutral responses to an post/topic. Any more wordy responses if the respondent wishes to add them, they can then post as a reply.

If we want to set a site wide lesser limit and keep more meaningful replies then perhaps not a setting of 1, 2, or 3 but perhaps 5 or 10 or even slightly higher (or some number between) so that if it is just a mark of agree or not that can be addressed by a like (and also perhaps generate a disagree choice as has been mentioned in other posts/topics) or leave no like of the post.

Could we perhaps instigate a similar system to flags eg agree, disagree, ignore (ie hide that post for the user)?

Re disagree buttons & disagree responses (I think there may be more & at least one in a closed area topic):

and as @phb posted in his response on this topic

5 Likes

My impression from the link in the post above ( post ) regarding the forum software is that it is a site wide setting. I seem to recall at least one person requesting finer control and being told to jump.

I am not familiar with this software, so “site wide” could really mean “forum wide” or “domain wide” or … but very likely not on a per-topic, per-category, per-user, … basis.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s correct it would be a site-wide change.

4 Likes

That’s what I’m talking about. :slight_smile:

The site is encouraging Beasleyan prolixity.

2 Likes

Perhaps then look at this github project:

&

4 Likes

I don’t use the Like button exclusively to show agreement.
Often it’s in appreciation of an informative post, or a well thought out opinion.
Or to say Thank you to someone who has taken the time and trouble to reply to one of my posts.
Sometimes even just in sympathy of someone’s shared experience.
As I’m new to Forums, maybe I’m getting it wrong :thinking:

6 Likes

Those who could pass regularly would qualify for high office in many countries.

3 Likes
  • List item

I use the like button if I feel the post has made a positive contribution to the discussion.

I may agree in full or part.

Often I may not agree, however a good post does not have to be agreeable. It is the content and respectful communication of alternative view points that is most often rewarded.

I’m with @grahroll in thinking we already have tools that can be useful when needed to rate a particular solution or recommendation.

Most posts are constructive or informative. Not all community members share similar view points. This may be due to experience, circumstance, or the simple fact of where they live.

On that basis adding extra flags to rate every post with agree or disagree might do far more harm than good. Even our parliaments for all their arguing and opposite points don’t stop to vote on every discussion point every time a member stands up to speak.

I’ll be the first to volunteer that for our circumstances some of the key consumer outcomes which might serve us better, could work against the majority, simply because the majority live in larger cities and metropolitan environments. Also where I may agree with the discussion in general, the reality for those who reside more remotely from the big smoke can be very different, political alignments included.

Please let’s not go down the path of scoring each other, (EDIT add, in a negative or non constructive way).

One person’s dumb idea is another person’s genius.

6 Likes

Same re use - many aspects.

Indeed - there are many reasons I’ve used the like, in some cases my opinion has little in common with the poster but I still felt it was a worthy contribution and there are occasions where I consider my circumstances put me in a position where I have little chance of understanding something from someone else’s position, the way they frame it - and likely vice versa - doesn’t stop it being an interesting and worthy point of view and a contribution … and it could be they are completely right and I’m the one on the wrong path …

I’m not a fan of the down-vote or dislike in a forum like this … I’m not sure they have much of a place at all - in a news or social media context they only seem to imprint negativity and can still be rather confusing (take the angry ‘like’ on Facebook - I’m often unsure whether the angry-liker is angry at the poster or angry in agreement …).

Indeed - similar to voting and dislikes - its up to CHOICE to work out how things are going in my view - they get the site stats and make decisions accordingly, and if someone really dislikes something they can flag it and have it adjudicated.

I often try to think of the three gates of speech - sometimes more than three and (mis)attributed to every man and his dog, but the three that matter to me - is what I am going to say true, needful and kind … I won’t say I always go through all three gates without grazing a gatepost or three, but … :wink:

7 Likes

Already happens, that’s what the little heart does. As well as serving as a placeholder for communication.

5 Likes

I’ve just discovered that the minimum length for the title of a topic is ten characters. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I’ve updated it so that it the title limit is now five characters and the post limit is two characters :+1:

7 Likes