Microwave Safe

Hi

When microwave ovens first introduced to Australia all cookware suitable for the microwave was labelled " microwave safe" You could even test what you had to see if it was microwave safe – Meaning the contents the plate or bowl heated up but the plate /bowl did not.

In recent times I have both Maxwell Williams Crockery and Casa Domani Crockery - both labelled microwave safe - but certainly are not microwave safe — when used for heating up they overheat yet the contents remain cold to barely warm.

Curious to know your thoughts and what safety standards are in place.

Does safe mean – won’t explode as opposed to overheat and burn your fingers !!

kind regards

v

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Valda.

I’ve notice something similar with some crockery items heating up more than others in the microwave. A past experience with a set of glass microwave storage containers led to disaster. Two of them failed in the microwave cracking or shattering.

It would seem logical that there are standards. I can’t recall any for the containers or cooking items?

2 Likes

This is a commercial site with a ‘how to’ tell if a container is microwave safe, but it begins with a premise that the manufacturer has properly labelled the products, but as @Valda has posed a question if that is always the case.

A cup half full approach to dishware warming is that a microwave can be a good plate/bowl/cup warmer with the right dishware. eg. I put in two dinner plates or bowls from my ‘microwave safe’ set and run it on high for 40 seconds. Both plates get pleasantly warm; I preheat my single morning cup for 30 seconds with the same pleasant result, and much faster than the coffee machine’s ‘cup warming’ tray.

1 Like