Microfibre Cloth

I’m also concerned about the possible effects of microplastic particles on the enviroment, but at this stage we really don’t know for certain the risks involved and just how bad they are.

As previously mentioned cotton production is indeed known to be very damaging to the enviroment due to water consumption, fertilizer run off and pesticide and fungicide usage.

The cotton crops also need huge amounts of land which destroys the local natural ecosystems which are replaced with intensive crop production.

I completely understand the concerns people have about microplastics, but substituting cotton is opting for something far more damaging to the enviroment and Hemp, flax/linen and bamboo may well turn out to be better for the enviroment.

There is still the problem of the widespread prevalence of synthetic fibres in clothing and household items that get laundered on a regular basis.

Hopefully the manufacturers of washing machines will be able to design their washers with effective filters to eliminate this problem.

2 Likes

I have been using ENJO micro fibres in all rooms of the house for the last 15 years and have found them absolutely excellent. When the cloths have eventually worn out, ENJO recycles them into upholstery filling amongst other things, so they get a reuse. Clean does not have an odour!

1 Like

An interesting read on when and why microfibre can be such a useful cleaning product and some cautions about when not to use it can be found in the following article:

4 Likes

Thank you!

My blue towels have arrived, some were small in size then others. Guess they came from different facilities.
They’ve been washed and line dried. Sydney is HOT today… now just need to iron them and start using.

1 Like

Hi annaa63,

I have tried 100% cotton cloths when trying to find good long lasting durable cleaning cloths, unfortunately even the thickest cotton cloths wore out within 6 months or less.

My micro fibre cloths are still going strong after 7 years of daily heavy usage and they are the cheaper brand of micro fibre cloth purchased from The Reject Shop or Cheap As Chips.

As mentioned above there is the known enviromental damage of cotton production, plus the additional expense of replacing those cotton cloths on a regular basis.

Please do try and avoid the common fallacy that just because something is natural it’s good, there are many natural plants which are quite deadly and many naturally occuring chemicals which are quite toxic.

2 Likes

An article regarding using microfibre cloths to remove makeup.

3 Likes