Microfibre Cloth

I’m slowly moving towards waste free living. Have been looking at hux towels but they are all disposable and since they are disposable at $1.50 plus postage it’s expensive.
So one place recommended mircrofibre instead… There are so many brands, not even going to go into types and GSM. Who knew that cleaning would be so complicated?

Already making my own cleaners… spilled oily sauce on the carpet as take out container overflowed (they packed the dish into a small instead of the large container) tried something as I didn’t have a cleaning powder at home and now cannot even see where the stain was…

So has anyone tried microfibre cloth?

2 Likes

I’ve been using them for years and love them. I’ve found little difference between brands. They are the best thing I’ve found for cleaning mirrors and windows, and pretty good at most other cleaning too.

However, they do shed microplastic: https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jun/29/microfibers-plastic-pollution-apparel-oceans

I use home-made knitted cotton cloths for washing up (most washing up cloths and scourers are made of plastics), and with the microplastic issue I’m moving towards using those for other all other cleaning jobs as well.

6 Likes

Thank you… still researching. Wanted hux towels but all that I’ve found so far are one use only, so it’s expensive and defeats the purpose.

Wondering why I didn’t move towards simple non toxic cleaning earlier.

Been using a Vilida cloth for ages, but even the less expensive ones are good. All microfibre cloths do not leave lint on surfaces, absorb moisture, trap dust, shine glass and mirrors and wash out beautifully in the washing machine.
They are a ‘must’ for easy, efficient cleaning. (Sorry if this sounds like an ad):wink:

2 Likes

Trying to give up paper towels…

There are countless micriofibre towels on the market and then gsm kicks in. Could not find choice reviewing them.

Currently making 3 different bathroom cleaners as cannot use vinegar in the kitchen at all… rather annoying that laminate is not a fan of vinegar… sadly it’s either plain water or windex.

Saw something the other day that one hux towel equals 7300 paper towels… presume that it’s same for microfibre cloth.

I haven’t heard of hux towels–is that a brand? Google was not helpful.

Bicarb soda is good for the kitchen–use with a wet cloth.
Also, Barkeepers Friend (powder version) is an acid-based cleaner–great for shower screens, cooktops, stainless steel, ovens and other heavy-duty jobs. It does contain DDBSA (linear form)–not sure how much of an issue this is. Choice people?

I use bi cab and vinegar for almost everything. Haven’t used barkeepers Friend as yet but it’s sitting in the cabinet, since I purchased all clad frypan i will need it.

Oven is cleaned with vinegar and bicab… since most products give me headaches… will see how lavender cleaner does… purchased some organic dry lavender yesterday… will know in 9 days. For now the color of the cleaner is changing…

My friend who works for a State Govt School as a cleaner has to use microfibre cloths for the cleaning work. This is a requirement and I am sure the reasons (which I don’t know) behind this have been thoroughly researched by the Education Dept. I do know they must be washed regularly but they do clean very effectively and now my friend also uses them for cleaning cloth purposes at home.

2 Likes

We use microfibre cloths like these ones…

and they are about 4 years old and still going strong. Buying a bulk pack means that you can assign one cloth for a particular cleaning activity/area (e.g. toilet, bathroom, kitchen etc).

The only concern I have about using them is that all microfibre cloths are made from synthetic materials and may contribute to micro-plastics in the environment. This is something one has to balance with the environmental benefits of using reusable cleaning cloths.

3 Likes

I have same concern about using microfibre cloth vs huck.

Cannot find non disposable hucks, all that I have found were one use only. The job just finished so money is tight, when I get next longer term contract will buy them on Amazon.

Bathroom would need 2. Laundry 1. Kitchen at least 5 per week, So I need many.

1 Like

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sabco-professional-mixed-colours-microfibre-cloths-8-pack_p0081213 I think this one is better as it’s 280 gsm, still heavy duty only and not biodegradable.

Might have to ask next time I have a Dr’s visit at the hospital. He will think that I am strange lol

1 Like

Recycle old pillow cases? Cut to size and turn under edges with a long stich, they’re lint free and machine washable. Old bathroom towels are also good but trickier to hem.

3 Likes

The other option is if you can sew, is to go to a fabric shop and buy a metre or so of Terry-Towelling. One should get about 9-12 cloths to the metre of fabric.

These are made of cotton but are not as convenient (as they have to be stitched) and maybe won’t last as long.

They are also a cheap solution…but not as cheap as a multi-bag of pre-made microfibre cloths.

We plan to make our own Terry-Towelling cloths (a bit like a face washer but slightly bigger) when we need to replace our microfibre ones…which will be in about a decade or so time.

Another option is if you have a good quality towel that you don’t like (maybe it is the colour, too big/small etc), then these can also be made into cleaning cloths. Just cut and stitch to one heart delight.

3 Likes

I recalled reading on Huffington Post about Huck Towels, not paying to get them from USA and as always our Amazon is much more expensive.

Called around and all places that sell new towels tell me its one use only. So I found a places that re washes them after Drs have washed their hands and sells them.
Cheaper then microfibre, 100% cotton and the money is going to breast cancer foundation plus it keeps people employed. So I called the place and they tell me that they are re usable… just wash and go again…

https://little-blue-towels.myshopify.com/

They cost $5 for 5 towels… Hope they don’t damage any of my furniture, was told that they are softer then paper towels… guess have to order sight unseen

4 Likes

looking for lint free

Looking at getting a meter of so of flannel cotton to make my own cloth cotton rounds…as I don’t have an overlocker will have to stitch by hand.

2 Likes

This is what our mothers and grandmothers did. Old cotton knickers, old teatowels, bathtowels, curtains… back in the day when thesewere a;; made from natural fibres

5 Likes

@annaa63 good idea to make your own, just make sure the fabric doesn’t pill in the wash or leave lint on surfaces, which adds so much more effort to our cleaning chores! :confused:

2 Likes

Just use zigzag close together on a a sewing machine, use someone elses, these sit around unused most of the time. Use a towel with a stained spot, yours or one from the Op Shop (often sold for dogs) for minimal environmental impact. Wash and dry in sun regularly to sanitize, bacteria likes moisture.

1 Like

I think I have found what you were looking for–Huck Towels.

They are sold at quite a few online sites including:

Huck towels are “…made from a pure cotton fabric favored for cleaning surgical instruments thanks to its durability. Window washers, car detailers and cleaning companies also use these long-lasting, absorbent towels, as they tend to hold up well even after many washings. “Huck” refers to the style of weave used to make the fabric.”

They look like a great alternative to microfibre cloths for those of us wanting to avoid products that shed micro-plastics in the wash.

4 Likes