Mechanical teeth straightening - What works and what doesn't? Which is the best?

Some time ago, Choice looked at whether it worth getting private health insurance (extras) for braces, but hasn’t published guidelines or reviewed the different sorts of aligners or braces currently available.

Before deciding whether or not to pay for Extras, you need to decide what sort of braces are required, and how much they will cost. Will it be the standard silver ‘mouth jewellery’ complete with elastic bands; a plate; retainer (mouthguard type thing), invisline, etc. Once you recover from the shock, you start to calculate whether or not to pay for Extras, or have an arm and a leg amputated (joking).

So forum members, base on your experience:

• Which aligner has worked, what hasn’t.
  • Is it horses for courses with different aligners needed for different issues?
  • If you have used more than one aligner, which is the best?
  • What about costs; what is the best value for money?
  • Finally, how did you decide which dentist, which method to use?
4 Likes

I’m pretty interested in this one - after the advent of wisdom teeth at 19 destroyed the work of 2.5 years of old fashioned mouth jewellery work from my younger teen years in my bottom jaw.

Health extras doesn’t seem to cover a whole lot when it comes to orthodontics… certainly nothing like the costs I remember my parents paying for mine. The lower cost of products like invisalign and smile direct is certainly attractive.

4 Likes