McAfee warning scam

Hi,
My computer comes with the free McAfee antivirus software years ago. I didn’t use it and delete it later. But I can’t delete the McAfee True Key.
Recently, the McAfee came up on my computer R corner with virus warning. Keep asking for update etc. When I closed it, it took me to the website. It kept popped up every 5 minutes.
So annoying, trying to scan the whole computer but no virus is found. At the end, I have to reset the computer to factor setting. But I still can’t delete the McAfee key even trying different google solutions.
At least after re-set it has not come back up yet.
Wonder if anyone one has a good solution.

1 Like

Have you tried the instructions from McAfee?

https://service.mcafee.com/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view

and specifically the MCPR Tool?

3 Likes

And there is this one as well:

https://askinglot.com/cant-uninstall-mcafee-true-key

3 Likes

Hi,
I have completely uninstall the McAfree years ago. only the McAfee true key still in the system. Thanks

1 Like

uninstalling is not a perfect operation, Vendors often have a ‘cleaning’ utility that essentially ‘blows it off the system’ by brute force. MCPR is probably one of those.

6 Likes

I just tried the true key removal. It just not letting me remove it. It still stays in the system.
However, I tried the disable the add on. Hope this will keep the McAfee in base.
I don’t understand how come the software is so powerful. In the first link you sent me earlier, the website did say even uninstall the programme doesn’t mean all components can be removed. Thanks for sending me the link.

4 Likes

Are you logged in as an Administrator in Windows?

2 Likes

Yes, I am the only one use my private computer. When I removed it, I allowed the programme to make changes on the computer. Then it showed a black screen. No mention of successful removal or unsuccessful removal. when I check the programme app, the true key is still there.

3 Likes

Try the free version of Revo uninstaller, McAfee true key needs to be listed in the menu for the free version The paid version allows a user to do a search for residual products and remove them. To download the free version I recommend visiting https://ninite.com and ticking the box alongside the Revo entry then downloaded your ninite installer run it and once Revo is install look in Revo’s lists to see if McAfee is listed.

Revo is found in the utilities section of the ninite.com site.

3 Likes

Antivirus software is an example of Terminate and Stay Resident (TSR) software. This means it is loaded very early in the boot cycle, and then sits there in memory until needed. If it is deleted, it just reloads itself at the next boot. Viruses and malware often use this functionality to avoid being removed successfully. This is why special software and/or procedures are required to totally remove TSRs.

This does not mean that you have administrator rights. If you don’t, you have to go into user settings and give yourself admin rights to have full rights access.

2 Likes

You would have to go waaaay back to venerable old MS DOS to find TSR programs.

In Windows there are background tasks, and there are dozens of them loaded at boot time or shortly after. In Unix they are called daemons.

The simple answer is that Anti-virus programs tend to make themselves hard to stop or to remove because virus programs try to detect and stop their enemies so they can do their nasty work.

2 Likes

Oooops. Showing my age.

1 Like

The modern equivalents still do the same thing - whether you call them TSRs, or daemons, or background tasks, or services…

McAfee has a reputation for being difficult to get rid of - a bit like its original publisher. Once you do get rid of it entirely, I suggest relying upon Windows Defender/Windows Security - it is now up with the best AV/anti-malware software and comes free with the operating system.

5 Likes

And now you are showing your age. A world of difference between good old DOS and TSRs and ring-fenced multitasking operating systems with multiple levels of permissions.

One was designed to sit on a single PC, and managed with a few thousand lines of code. The modern OS needs tens of millions of lines of code. Yes, the modern operating system does an awful lot more - but it is also clearly much more difficult to debug.

1 Like

I too gave up on all the third party anti-virus and monitoring applications and have just used Microsoft’s built in defender apps since Win7.
Works as it should, and never bugs me for upgrades, and never allowed any nasties through.

5 Likes

We bought McAfee years ago and found it slowed the PC down so much we got rid of it and (especially after reading this) would never consider trying it again.

5 Likes

Hi Grahroll,
Thanks for the tips of using Revo uninstaller. I was successful to remove the McAfee true key app using the Revo uninstaller.
It gave me a peace of mind.
After I have done it, I delete the app just in case.
Thanks so much.

7 Likes