CHOICE membership

McAfee Anti-virus Renewal Scam

Whilst browsing the MSN website today and opening links which appeared interesting, I found one which claimed my McAfee Anti-virus subscription expired yesterday…

Most unusual as I have never used McAfee and for more than a decade, I have only used Windows Defender.

As I fully expected, Googling McAfee Scam brought up a number of results including the one below which contains the same image I received today.

It appears that the scum are aiming to obtain users credit crd details when they follow the renewal link.

Presumably it is being done with other anti-virus companies and many other businesses.

I have also had attempted malware attacks 4 times in the last couple of weeks via the MSN website which created a very loud continous tone accompanied by a message that Windows Firewall has detected that Windows 10 has been damaged, but simply closing the browser window (MS Edge 11) takes care of it.

10 Likes

Hiya Fred

I got that one too!

Bast**ds - thank you for the warning!
Cheers Natalie :wink:

6 Likes

Wow. I just got another reminder advising that my McAfee Anti-virus has expired today.

Presumably they must have simply got the expiry date mixed up on their previous advice.

2 Likes

I had another one yesterday.

I don’t know if they have their dates mixed up or my name wrong.

It is Billy, not Silly.

The strange thing is that it always appears shortly after opening an article on the MSN website and it replaces the article

Opening the article again results in the legitimate article being displayed.

1 Like

And again just now for the second time this week.

If I really had a McAfee subscription, I would be wanting a refund as it constantly expires and wants me to renew it.

And yet you keep going back for more!

I can’t say I’ve ever felt the need to look at msn…

2 Likes

I like to keep an open mind instead of dismissing sites like MSN Australia outright as I see many interesting articles which I don’t see on the other sites I visit daily.

The scam ads and pop-up scams do not affect me but provide me with an opportuniny to make potential victims aware of them as well as getting them shut down on the websites they appear on.

The disgraceful Andrew Forrest, Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Jeff Bezos, Mel Gibson Bitcoin Scam now appears to be dead in the water, no thanks to the useless ACCC.

2 Likes