Mattress & Mattress-in-a-box reviews and issues

Yes I m thinking that is the only option Thankyou

2 Likes

Iā€™m laying on my ecosa as we speak I also using the topper and itā€™s still too firm so Iā€™m returning it as my back aches

1 Like

Understanding this is a medical diagnosed condition. Arthritis Australia has the following commentary on back pain, that some may find useful.

Soft or hard mattress, is it also important to ensure a mattress conforms best to individual body shape and sleep position. Taking pressure off the spine some advice includes the use of multiple pillows of various shapes and firmness. Itā€™s how my partner and our mum who has a severe curvature of the spine manage.

If conventional wisdom on finding the most suitable mattress for you needs fails:
As an alternative our mum now prefers to sleep in a quality recliner lift chair, suitable reclined and manipulated with pillows. There are also a number of options with electric adjustable beds. Itā€™s possible to get different foam density mattresses to suit, or for the chairs a variety of firmness and synthetic fibre fill options. :+1:

1 Like

Thankyou Iā€™m really would like a nice soft mattress but canā€™t find one without a bad review and have only around $1000 to spend . I am trying the ecosa but will be returning it as itā€™s too firm for me

1 Like

Iā€™m now looking into an adjustable bed. OneBed have one at the moment thatā€™s relatively inexpensive, but Murphyā€™s Law says that as soon as I have the funds to buy it, the price will go back up.

1 Like

It is very firm, but for the larger sized woman (me!) its perfect. Iā€™ve just got out of bed (3.30am) and have had the best sleep Iā€™ve had in months. I hope it lasts. Iā€™ve giving it the full 100 nights to finally decide, but Iā€™m pretty sure I wonā€™t be sending it back.

The Lazybed Mattress was too soft, and although it was just so comfortable, the comfort only lasted a couple of years. I remember when I first lay down on it, it felt like a big warm hug! But, it was hard to turn over, hard to get out of bed (physically as well as psychologically!). In looking at the specs for the onebed essential (the one they are claiming is the rebadged Lazybed)ā€¦ I can tell you its not nearly as thick. They say 8ā€ - Lazybed was 10ā€.

3 Likes

@meggsie As always, time is of the essenceā€¦ and here it is, ust a short time after posting how good the mattress is, I have now woken with back pain 2 mornings in a row. Quelle dommage!!

Iā€™ll give it another week, but if this continues Iā€™m going to have to put the old Lazybed back and email them for a pickupā€¦ Iā€™m sad about it because it started out so much better than Lazybed. Retains its shape, lets me turn over more easily and is not uncomfortable. But waking with back pain, regardless of the comfort levelā€¦ thats not good.

1 Like

I bought a chiro pocket spring for half the price I paid for ecosa and it is soft and has a pillow top am much happier as the springs help when I turn and my back feels better

2 Likes

This mattress product is interesting if only because of a 5 year comfort promise, although all the T&C for that are available only in-store.

https://www.makinmattresses.com.au/bellissimo/

They also sell a removable pillow top that could be helpful for those who want more than a latex or foam topper.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got over the back pain I had, it was not the mattress, it was me. Its been all good since then. But the Lazybed is still leaning on the wall in the hall and will be put back on the bed if the Ecosa dies before the 100 nights is up. Iā€™ve set a reminder in my calendar, to review a week before.

2 Likes

Oh dear. I have emailed Ecosa this morning and need to return the mattress. Whilst I had no back pain, it was great. But, three days ago I pulled out some nasturtiums (why oh why do I think I can do that stuff, still) and pulled ā€œsometingā€ in my back. Having a 55 year history of spinal problems and osteo, I should have known better. Anyway, the Ecosa is definitely making the pain a lot worse. Its 344am right now, but I woke at 1.30 and had the greatest difficulty getting out of bed, the pain was so great. Iā€™m going to have to (somehow) get the ecosa off the bed, and the old lazybed back onā€¦ no doubt aggravating the issue even moreā€¦ but I canā€™t keep on wit ecosa, if this is what happens.

2 Likes

And as luck would have it, I was reading in Productreview this morning and many many o the reviews are now saying that Ecosa is doing everything it can to avoid refunding. ON the Ecosa website theres a note that the Salvos have put mattress collection on hold (Covid-19 and all that) so refunds wont be processed until that gets back to normal. I wont hold my breath for the refund, but I am going to ring the Salvos head office on Monday morning, to make certain that that isnt just a copout.

[edit] and just now have heard from Ecosaā€¦ they are asking for details and have I tried different layers, and why did I not like the mattress (never mind that I already said that I did like it UNTIL I hurt my back and since I hurt my back I cannot switch layers or anything like that). Oh well, lets see how it goes.

1 Like

The Salvos website saysā€¦

Although not available in all states at the moment, we do provide free collection from your home or business for items that wonā€™t fit in your car. For more information on whether this service is running in your area, or to schedule a pick-up, please call 13 SALVOS (13 72 58), Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 9am-5pm (AEST/AEDT).

When I have back pain, lying down can aggravate the ache rather than the surface lied on. How do you know the Esoca mattress aggravated your backā€¦especially when you were satisfied with the mattress pre-gardening incident.

It will be interesting to see what their response is and whether they honour ā€˜If youā€™re not completely satisfied within 100 nights of sleeping on your new Ecosa mattress, youā€™re entitled to a refundā€™ or try and rely on ā€˜Any mattress that has mould, dirt, stains, smells, or bed bug infestations are no longer eligible for a mattress return nor replacementā€™ā€¦and what dirt or smells means.

1 Like

In relation to the Ecosa mattress, the pickup has to be organised from Ecosaā€™s end. I canā€™t just ring and get them to come and take it (well, I could, but then I would forego my refund from Ecosa).

I heard from them again and they have agreed to a pickup and refund (but so they have for others, who then never got satisfaction)ā€¦ I just have to tell them where to arrange pickup and to submit a photo of the batch number tag on the mattress (presumably so they can check that its within their time limits)

Iā€™ll do that tomorrow or perhaps later tonight if I am feeling brave enough to swtch mattresses over.

1 Like

Well, further to the above, the salvos came today and collected the mattress and just 3 hours later the refund was processed. Cannot complain about customer service from Ecosa. They were excellent, in the end. No idea why others have not had a good result, but I found them to be great.

6 Likes

The 2020 reviews report actual firmness.

Can someone point me to what soft, medium etc are defined by?

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Ziggy and a Great question!

That will require a CHOICE staff member to answer, which Iā€™m sure they will. But I will tag a couple of them in who can pass the request on to the right staff member.

For attention @BrendanMays or @jhook

5 Likes

Thank you and thanks for your kind welcome :+1:

5 Likes

Hi Ziggy, We test each mattress against the standard EN 1957, described in chapter 8.2 ā€œDetermination of hardness valueā€. Results are used from the standard to classify between very soft and very hard.

This is done by using a load pad on the test sample and measuring the indentation and force deflection then utilising the graph within the standard to assign the value.

7 Likes

Thanks Matt.

Can you translate those into something we can relate to? Otherwise they mean as little to us as manufacturersā€™ ratings.

Eg. firm means a cricket ball with a 1kg packet of flour balanced on it would sink 20mm :nerd_face: