Mattress & Mattress-in-a-box reviews and issues

Sleep tight and save money with our latest mattress review (member content). Want to know the pros and cons of different types of mattresses? See our buying guide for this advice and more.

2 Likes

Oops. Wrong link, Brendan.

3 Likes

Woops. Thanks for letting me know :wink: Updated now.

3 Likes

Someone did a lot of bargaining :wink:

3 Likes

Absolutely, we have a product buyer here at CHOICE who looks after the majority of purchases for our reviews - itā€™s no small task.

2 Likes

Hi, ZZZ Atelier on eBay seems to be getting a lot of mention and good reviews on OzBargain. From the comments it seems cheap and good quality. Any chance Choice can test?

1 Like

Iā€™ll make sure your request is passed on for consideration :+1:

2 Likes

Keep an eye out for these mattresses to avoid, especially if youā€™re shopping around in End of Financial Year (EOFY) sales.

5 Likes

See these signs? If so, mattress = :cactus:

4 Likes

Our mattress reviews (member content) have been updated. You can find the the latest results here.

4 Likes

Any good reviews for a soft spring mattress around $1000 pls

1 Like

Welcome to the community @meggsie,

Please see the preceding post from Choice regarding the most recent mattress test (member content).

3 Likes

Hi @meggsie, welcome to the forum.

If you arenā€™t a Choice member, it is possible to join for 3 months for $26.95 to have access to all Choice online reviews over this timeā€¦

It may be $26.95 well spent.

2 Likes

It appears that Choice must have deleted their ā€œpay per viewā€ option?

1 Like

Yes I spent the money for the 3 mth choice So I could purchase the right mattress but was not many reviews from people and not much choice for the innerspring for me only bed in the box that I donā€™t want as itā€™s too firm

3 Likes

Choice selects products to test mostly based on what consumers are buying, plus sometimes one or more exemplars for comparison.

Unfortunately many categories have so many products it is impractical to impossible to test a majority of offerings, and some products defy being objectively tested for comfort since we all look for differing qualities.

Not being argumentative but have you tried one or more BiB products yet? Each is different. A family member bought one that is reviewed as on the firmer side, but my assessment was that it is very soft. A problem with bedding is that we are all different and what any one person or group prefers might be equally uncomfortable for another.

The bits from the tests I personally find most useful are the metrics suggesting long term durability such as resistance to sagging from the different manufacturers and different products and long term differences in comfort as ā€˜reportedā€™ by men vs women.

As you noticed, the Choice site does not feature user reviews but is happy for users to comment on the reviews. Hence it adds a dimension to tested products, but does not have the scope to add products.

While posts on productreview.com.au are anecdotal rather than objective you might see some useful information on that site?

4 Likes

Thankyou for your responses Iā€™d really like to know which BiB you think was soft so I can give it a try. I have arthritis in my back and havenā€™t slept a full night on this new mattress from ecosa cheers Sue

1 Like

OUCH. I have an Ecosa incoming even as I type. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but wasnā€™t (Hunter Express grumble grumble sitting in depot for 5 days)ā€¦ Its replacing a Lazybed which was wonderful at first (that particular model is now the OneBed Essential, they bought Lazybed out) but after 2 years became saggy.

On my reading in other forums, it seems that Sleeping Duck (or is it Sleep Republicā€¦) is well thought of. Also via ebay, ZZZAtelier. I bought one of the latter, to replace my lazybed, but found I could not even lift it, it was so heavy. That is most definitely a consideration for those of us with arthritis. The foam mattress I have gets swivelled regularly but Iā€™m over it now and am prepared to get a new one every couple of years as long as they remain ā€œcheapā€ā€¦ relatively speaking.

1 Like

Koala, but as I posted each of us is different regarding comfort. I have a gel-memory foam hybrid mattress as my point of comparison that could make my expectations atypical.

1 Like

If you want a mattress which is firm underneath but soft on top, another option is to get a mattress that you like and add a pillowtop mattress topper. These are relatively cheap (compared to the price of a mattress) and can be very softā€¦making the bed feel soft around the skin, with the underlying mattress of your choice (soft, medium hard). If you take this option, check your current sheets have enough depth to cover the mattress and topper, otherwise you may be up for new sheets as well.

3 Likes