Mattress overlays/toppers review requests

Seems so weird to me, I have had my topper for almost a year and it works perfectly for me. After a couple of years, my mattress became too thin and the topper helped me not to spend too much o a new mattress.

3 Likes

An update, they have been used now for about 3 weeks and while there is some slight compression of the polyester filling, it seems to be okay. Our guests have commented that the toppers are comfortable and make a medium firmness mattress, a lot softer.

The polyester ones seem to be holding their shape better than the Bamboo rayon/Polyester. Time will tell if they hold their shape in the long term.

5 Likes

I need a new mattress but I don’t want zones because I have to sleep partially upright… that means that my body bits do not land in the correct zone… so its down to foam for me. I’ve considered getting a topper to tide me over but the cost is ridiculous. So, mattress it is but maybe a topper as well, soon after.

3 Likes

Another update after 6 months.

After the initial change in shape in the first 3 months, neither of the mattress toppers have changed much in the past 6 months. The earlier comment that

still applies and in the future if we purchase more, would buy the memory fibre polyester ones over the Bamboo Rayon Ones

4 Likes

I’ve been considering those eggshell type mattress toppers to go with my new mattress. I think you can only get them from places like Clark Rubber. One of my aunts had one which she had placed on a bed for me when I was staying with her short term, it was magic, but it was made from very dense rubber and I don’t even know if you can get them anymore. After working on an orthopaedic ward all day, it was wonderful to sleep on… going hunting and will report back.

5 Likes

I have used the basic eggshell type mattress toppers for a year or two. I actually use 2 of them on top of a standard mattress topper on one new mattress, and 3 eggshell toppers on another new mattress on a second bed. I have had trouble finding enough soft padding to minimise pressure area problems. The above two options suit me. We have bought them from K Mart, Spotlight and Pillow Talk. The eggshell toppers are of variable quality and expense. The cheaper ones are not quite rectangular, but are otherwise satisfactory for me. However, being underweight I can’t speak for other people.

4 Likes

Looking for your advice and/or experience re mattress toppers

Hi @Teapot, welcome to the community.

I have moved you post to an existing thread which is similar to yours and has some experiences of community members. It is worth reading the information above as it may be of assistance to you.

Hopefully your new post will also stimulate others to contribute with any new information they have.

Thank you for your first post/contribution to the community.

1 Like

Following on from my Sep '21 post, I find my 3 eggshell foam mattress toppers satisfactory. However, shorter people would probably find the greater height a nuisance when getting into bed. I am about 183 cm tall. Two foam toppers would probably do, but I have cut out a rectangular section in the lowermost topper in the region of my left heel (which had been complaining of pressure the most). The upper two toppers provide good cover over the edge of the defect in the lowest topper. I must admit that a standard topper would give the bed a nicer appearance than the foam toppers.

I can’t really comment on the effectiveness of the standard topper on my other bed because I have 2 eggshell foam toppers above it. I also find this arrangement satisfactory. Again, the resulting height may be a nuisance for some. I don’t recall the brand of the standard topper but I am fairly certain we bought it at Pillow Talk.

1 Like