Marketing calls .. COVID - personal details in restaurants

After the relaxation of COVID restrictions, I’ve noticed an increase in marketing calls and spam emails, even though my phone number on the do not call register.

How secure is the personal information we provide using QR codes in restaurants?

Could the personal information we provide be used by marketers?

Have choice members experienced similar spam and marketing calls?

Thanks

2 Likes

As a sample of 1, no.

1 Like

While it could be considered as secure in data transfer (data goes to the organisation/business which has set up the QR code), once it arrived to the organisation who collected it, it isn’t very private and the organisation/company can potentially use the data as it sees fit.

QR codes are discussed at the end of these two threads:

Simple answer yes. The above threads provides links to privacy groups and this is one of the main issues which has been raised. A organisation/business can use the contact data for marketing or pass it onto a second or third party for their use very easily.

A better way maybe for the government to issue unique QR codes to every potential contact point and this QR code location data, time stamps and personal information is only supplied to the government (businesses/organisation don’t receive the data which is currently the case). The government then processes the data for contact tracing when a case is identified. Unfortunately we live in the real world.

As sample number 2- no. This might be because use of QR codes isn’t mandatory in Tasmania and we chose the old fashion pen and paper instead.

2 Likes

Add me to the sample - no.

And I have been signing in whether via QR code’s or other methods several times a week for months.

The rules for collection of the data include it cannot be used for any other purpose.

The only anomaly so far with the QR code’s or manual sign in is a requirement to tick a box saying you have downloaded, installed and are running the COVIDSafe App. I’ve noted this when visiting the local public hospital and one of the state run health clinics.

P.S.
Many of the sign ins require your email or home address, but not both. I choose the latter where possible, hence my email remains private.

3 Likes

Well phone calls and phone messages are distinct from emails. The do not call register doesn’t apply to the later.
But my recent experience is that phone calls from unknown numbers have dropped off in the last month.
And my weekly email blocked and hold report shows that unwanted or possible spam emails have gone from around 20 a week down to maybe 2 a week in the last month.

3 Likes

When eating out, or when going into shops, I always ask for my name and number to be written down, instead of using the QR code.
No one has objected so far.

Haven’t noticed more nuisance phone calls than usual.

3 Likes

Another no. Is it possible you bought a lottery ticket, or put you details down somewhere else?

2 Likes