March 2021 Food Challenge -Favourite Vegetables

Yep indeed Brussel Sprouts, some of my family prefer to just cut into the base in a + pattern and do the same. I prefer to halve if small sized and quartered if large. They cook faster and more evenly I find my way.

5 Likes

Whilst at our local Coles this afternoon, I saw cauliflower rice and cauliflower vegetable rice in the fresh produce section.

The cauliflower rice must be the best one as it is “Grown in Australia from at least 100% Australian ingredients.”

Perhaps it might even have 200% or more Australian ingredients?

3 Likes

Thanks Deb … a great reminder on a quite versatile vegie. I’ll be trying the relish that’s for sure.

3 Likes

WOW !!! “at least 100%” What a great Aussie euphemism hahaha
Actually … Thanks Fred as I might even try the cauliflower rice for when I don’t have fresh.

3 Likes

Oh boy I’d like to answer this question meaningfully because I adore heaps of veg including eggplant (Thanks @syncretic)

But I would die happy drowning in asparagus smothered in hollandaise sauce or just salty butter and and a few twists of the pepper mill.

7 Likes

If the spears were cut 20 minutes before I would join you.

4 Likes

Pumpkin, broccoli and carrots
Pumpkin unpeeled either steamed or baked. In winter in soup.
Broccoli steamed or in stir fries.
Carrots steamed, baked, raw, in stir fries, soups, casseroles.

6 Likes

The stalk can be added to soup or salad.

The stalk, leaves etc are great in stir fries.

4 Likes

Pickle heirloom carrots

3 Likes

The stalk tastes and can be cooked no differently to the florets.

The only part if a broccoli head which is unappetising is the dry stump, where it is cut from the plant.

Not eating the stalk is not only a waste, but throwing away good money.

4 Likes

Must mention Tomatoes,
Not only they add colour and flavour to any salad, but are also at the basis of most pasta sauces, and meat dishes, and many soups.
The acidic taste balances out any too strong sweetness, and the colour adds interest to any dish.
(And Yes, the tomato has been Legally a vegetable since 1893…Smithsonian.com)

3 Likes

For amusement, the venerable tomato in its form of ketchup briefly had an ignoble reputation in the US as a vegetable for school lunches, yet tomato paste on a pizza did not. A dated anecdote about what really happened.

3 Likes

From the above link:
“Counting condiments as vegetables
Is an invitation to abuse”
Very true, IMO :rofl:

5 Likes

No no it’s a berry!

2 Likes

It certainly fits the description of a berry.
Must make my next spaghetti sauce with it :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Two other berry options you might briefly consider - banana and paw paw. Better used in an Asian savoury salad or western berry dessert? :wink:

3 Likes

Shall do! :laughing:

2 Likes

Cauliflower steamed with butter and salt.
Zucchini sliced in half, partly cooked, then grilled with a topping of minced garlic and shredded cheese of your favourite variety. If you don’t part cook them first, you’ll find them a bit crunchy. Maybe thats OK with you, I don’t mind it, but I prefer part cooked (steamed for preference but frying is OK too)

4 Likes

If you like, you can save time on pre cooking, Sue:
Scoop out the pulp from the zucchini,
leaving about a cm all around.
Mince the pulp, garlic, and cheese, season it and spoon it back.
Top with a bit more melting cheese. Bake or grill until golden brown.

If you like and can have anchovies,
add a couple to the mix for a traditional zucchini stuffing. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Gotta love good old Brussel Sprouts

4 Likes