Map updates on built-in GPS - problems and costs

Thanks. I think I will go ahead with the diagnostics test and see what the outcome is. The maps have definitely changed and the SD card has not been removed.
It will be interesting to see what has happened to make it change and hope it is not going to be the start of further issues with the car.
I think it will be best for the dealer to investigate at this point.
Thanks so much for your help and guidance.

2 Likes

It does seem odd
the only other explanation is there are two map data sets on the SD card and the newer one got corrupted for some reason and the car then defaulted to the previous version.

It would be interesting to see if this was possible as I expect that the SD card would only have one data set (the last uploaded onto it) and if this data set is corrupted, the sat nav would come up a file reading error.

Good luck and let us know of the outcome of the dealer diagnostics.

2 Likes

I believe the way to update the maps is to remove the SD card with the maps and via a computer check Mazda’s site for updates. If you do that, it will tell you the current version of the maps and also the latest version.

I agree that

The usual method of updating the SD card is for the new version of map files to overwrite the old version. So there isn’t any way for the maps to revert to an older version.

I assume you were having services done by the dealer, and they should have kept your maps up to date as part of the servicing. Therefore, you should have the latest version of the maps. If it’s an older version then the dealership didn’t update it. You then can go back to the dealership and ask them to update the maps they should have done as part of the servicing. They should do this for free because not doing is their error by omission, and not your fault.

1 Like

FWIW the SD cards I have seen for GPS maps have hidden files so either a bit of technical nous is required to expose them, or the manufacturers related utility (mazdatoolbox) is needed. The GPS ‘System Status’ or ‘System Info’ should show the map date or at least a version that can be reconciled against that of the current (and original) one.

I noticed that Mazda MZD Connect has 3 years of included map updates, but those are neither downloaded nor installed by magic. @Indi14 might do well to check that page. Even though the warranty is expired it may have useful information regarding the GPS maps.

1 Like

Thanks, I am going to proceed with the diagnostic test and see what the result is and the explanation I receive from the dealership as to what has caused it to revert back and what they want to charge me because yes, I should have received 3 years of free updates and clearly the maps currently on the GPS are not current.
I will let everyone know the outcome.

2 Likes

I happen to have a supposedly update map SD, so I had a look at it and can’t see any hidden files or folders.

[For those that want to get all the nitty gritty on their Mazda maps version:

• go to the file \content\DbVersion.zip
  • expand it out, and within it there is another file called info.ini
  • open info.ini and there are the details about the map version.]
2 Likes

My Renault SD card (not an update card per se) that ‘powers’ the R-link branded Tomtom GPS is all hidden files once on the card (as copied by the R-link utility or the service department). My suspicion is they do that to keep the vast majority from figuring out how to put on new maps we did not pay the $350 (or $whatever) for.

Seems all manufacturers are not the same.

3 Likes

The SD cards can have multiple versions on them depending on how map data is stored. Many of the map files have naming conventions that even if we can’t interpret them the system that interrogates them can. This can lead in the event of a corruption that affects the name of one file that the program will then default to a map version it can successfully read. I can’t say that all map systems are the same but in my very old Navman the file was uploaded from the card to the ROM/EPROM by the user and became the only file data used and the SD card was simply a repository for all the versions I had downloaded.

The Mazda may be accessing the SD card continuously rather than storing the map data in ROM thus reducing the need for larger ROM memory capacity being built in, it would also allow larger future maps to be used that could exceed the built in capacity and finally would allow easy changes to regions of the World by simply replacing the SD card or the files on it rather than a re-program of ROM

4 Likes

Our car has built-in Navigation, and gets updates automatically for free over our home WiFi when it is parked at home. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think that your supposition is correct. On a quick test some time ago, our Mazda’s navigation system would not function properly without the Mazda SD card. Tried inserting another functional SD card to test if it was just being used for storage, and it still wouldn’t work. Mazda SD card back in
 navigation works.

2 Likes

After buying a new PC and installing everything again from scratch (personal choice to avoid migration tools) I reinstalled Renault R-Link Toolbox. I had not used it in yonks because it seemed to be fairly lame, but in checking they got their act together sometime in the last few years. It requires logging into their R-Link store website to buy software things (maps, games, updates, some free, some for cost, all priced in euros, updates keyed to my VIN) as well as installing the RLink tool that is essentially a download manager.

A single Aussie map is e64.90 ($AUD102 while a single Tomtom portable map is $AUD85 today). Still a rip compared to their lifetime maps portable products, but compared to Toyota, sharp!

2 Likes

I recently put my Mercedes in for its second service and request they update my GPS at the same time. On collection, the Service Manager advised that this was not possible as Mercedes Australia and NZ no longer have contracts with Garmin and I would have to contact Garmin direct if I wanted to update my system. I was not happy with this response and asked if all Mercedes up to the current model were driving around with out-of-date GPS systems. Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific Pty Ltd responded by saying that I would contact my local Parts Division who should advise that a 2018/19 Garmin map update is available by purchasing an SD Card (MB Part No. A2189060804). I did this and was advised that the cost of a SD Card would be $300 at cost. I asked if this SD Card would be able to be updated in future years. This he could not tell me. I also asked if I were to purchase my own SD Card and update it direct from Garmin, would it work. Again he was unable to advise me.
Is anyone else out there having a similar problem. I have a life subscriber membership with Garmin for my portable GPS which I am able to plug into my power socket in the car.

9 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Ernie, I have moved your post to an existing topic about built-in GPS systems and their costs and problems.

Is this a new vehicle or an older 2nd hand car?

If new, then if they, Mercedes, as part of the purchase gave you a contract that gave certain benefits regarding map updates or it had advertising that said they would provide X number of updates for some period of time eg 5 years and on the 2nd service (I am assuming it is the log book service) they couldn’t provide that update as they have ceased their arrangement with Garmin you may have a case to seek compensation under ACL as the car, it’s built in accessories, and stated benefits are not as described.

If an older vehicle then this may be a more difficult case to get any redress. There have been a number of posts on this site regarding built in GPS units on vehicles that mention lack of updates, the cost of the updates, and that updates can be very old compared to non built in GPS units. This current topic has many of those posts but so does the link below.

5 Likes

FWIW I just bought a 2017 Renault and discovered their Tomtom GPS maps are dated in December of each year but they are not available to the vehicles until June! Bottom line is the most current map is 2018.12 that was released in June 2019. The 2019.12 map will come available in June 2020. There are a few years of updates included that come via the fairly slick Rlink2 system but otherwise about $AUD110 each, quite a bit less than some charge as ‘auto parts’. I’ll not get into the subscription traffic services after the intro period, except for the final note below.

Very special! I doubt many other manufacturers are much different.

At the same time my portables get 4 updates a year for their ‘lifetime’ as defined by Tomtom/Garmin at no charge, as well as ‘traffic service’.

3 Likes

Absolutely disgraceful but par for the course with built-in GPS with outdated maps and third rate features with rip-off map upgdates.

I previously posted regarding our experience under another topic in the forum.

1 Like

One wonders why they don’t use the free OpenStreetMap instead of proprietary mapping systems.

We use apps that use OpenStreetMaps and find the data layers generally more accurate and current than the proprietary maps. This could be due to data lag periods or data currency for each released new version.

3 Likes

My vehicle was purchased new on 14/3/17.
Can anyone tell me if I can extract the Mercedes SD card and replace it with a SD card of my own which I have updated from Garmin without doing any damage to the computer system?

2 Likes

That’s pretty much my experience with Subaru. My “updated” Outback doesn’t know about major roads that are at least a year old, making it useless in many areas of Perth.

FWIW, my TomTom is kind of up to date. However, my iPhone 8 seems to be updated in days, rather than in months (TomTom) or years (Subaru).

Has anyone approached the ACCC about these map updates? Surely, a map that’s a couple of years out of date isn’t fit for purpose.

6 Likes

Isn’t fit for purpose? Neither is the ACCC.

1 Like

This can be expected. I suspect that car GPs maps versions are relatively irregular and could be annual version updates. As most modern cars have longer service intervals (up to 12 months), it is possible that the version of mapping installed by the dealer is up to about 12 months old (or more is one allows for version data preparation which may take month(s) as well

In most areas, this would not necessarily be an issue, but where new roads have been constructed, it may mean that any new roads, upgraded roads or augmented roads won’t appear until the next version update.

The currency of car manufacturer GPS will always be lagging compared to online mapping or the likes of OpenStreetMap data. This unfortunately is one of the limitations with having manually loaded datasets such as those used in cars and propriety GPSes.

3 Likes