Malware Warnings

I bought a couple of chilli seedlings from Bunnings recently and the grower was Floriana but there was not much information on the varieties so I Googled “Floriana”.

Both “floriana.com.au” and “floriana.com.au>products” immediately displayed these warnings on Google Chrome.

I have messaged them on their Facebook page to advise them.

6 Likes

Thanks for the warning. I was going to make a punnet about their problem, but realised it wouldn’t be even a little funny.

9 Likes

Just tried floriana.com.au - no problems or warnings. (Chromium on Linux)

2 Likes

Latest FireFox opened it with no problems even with my noscript etc active.

Latest Opera (Chromium based) opened it with no problems even with my noscript etc active.

The new Edge (Chromium based) opened it with no problems.

Epic opened it with no problems.

3 Likes

Good to see you’re using NoScript - it should be mandatory.

2 Likes

It can be too complex for some users, particularly for some sites that are safe but use a thing like stripe for selling. Knowing what to allow when becomes a bit of a guess for some users.

1 Like

True. But if everyone used it, the people who design those ludicrously complex sites would soon learn better ways.

3 Likes

My thoughts as well but I’m not hopeful of that outcome even in the medium term.

1 Like

It is now working without any warnings with Google Chrome, as it should be some 6 days after I alerted Floriana to the problem.

5 Likes

I revisited the site and this time there were no warnings. So whatever the problem/s was/were it is resolved.

3 Likes

A new one has popped up in our inbox.

A inbox of someone we know or have done business with was hacked…and every email in the server’s sent folder is replied to with a friendly looking email from the known person…with an executable compressed file attachment. The email asks the receiver to look at the attachment. While not opening the attachment, I suspect it is malware or ransonware.

The email looks very convincing. In our case, it was supposed to be a copy of an invoice from a business we had dealings with.

We have advised the company that their email has been compromised. This is the text of the email we sent:

We thought we would make contact as it appears that your email addresses/login has been compromised and is being used by hackers to send out emails containing malware or ransomware. We have received a historical message from your inbox which was forwarded to us by a hacker. This message contained a a file and link to malware/ransonware.

It may be worth contacting Optus to arrange the resetting of your password to your email account. It may also be worth running a malware scan on you devices as well.

This one is high risk as it is one of the most convincing emails I have seen. I had to think twice but fortunately always check attachment before opening to sure they are safe. It got deleted immediately which is why I don’t have a copy of the text…the text seemed to be more unique and especially made to appear it came from the business, rather than a obvious generic type emails.

One to be careful of and to watch out for.

It is also important if one uses their own/has a email server, is to not allow anyone to gain access to this server. Passwords should also be changed regularly and accesses to the server checked to ensure that it hasn’t been compromised. Passwords on all inboxes should also be changed regularly even if one uses a email provider.

Possibly another action is keep server sent and inboxes clean…automatically remove and store locally when viewed/after set period.

Having a good quality virus/malware scanner is also important as well as knowing signs of malware.

2 Likes