Low sodium food alternatives (January 2020 Food Challenge)

Are you talking about Meniere’s disease?

Not necessarily. As causes of Meniere’s are not known (or at least agreed) hard to say if this would be a cause or not.
However similar symptoms (Nausea,; dizziness; spinning; vomiting;etc) are affected by inner ear fluid salt content, but they may not be diagnosed as Meniere’s

1 Like

Be careful. I am a recently retired hospital doctor. Most old people coming into hospital were on low salt diets. Low sodium looks like dementia. We treated them with high salt, got them better to the point where they no longer had dementia. Ironically, because the public hospital system only had “healthy” food, it would not allow adding salt to food. So we, the doctors, gave most of the old people high dose salt tablets.
My doctor daughter says nothing has changed.
Usually, when home, well meaning people take the old person off the salt, and a month or two later, back in hospital.

7 Likes

Welcome @Pjrpd and thank you for the candid comments.

My uninformed observations are that many of us judge what is healthy for the physically elderly by what is best for healthy active 21 year old adults. Our needs genuinely change with age and afflictions. Good medical practice is supported by good science.

There are those in the community who regularly demonstrate a detailed knowledge of various topics and science. Pointing us to the science is always a good starting point in any discussion.

4 Likes

When my wife’s late mother was admitted to the private hospital for a few days on a few occassions in her final years, she complained about the lack of salt in the hospital food, so I would “smuggle” her some of those small salt sachets so she could “enjoy” the hospital food.

Salt was not a factor in her condition but it was a major factor in her existence.

3 Likes

An interesting Q is Why are low salt / no salt products - of which i used to have a list 10 + years ago that i would regularly purchase - no longer available? Have people switched to being so more conscious of sugar intake? I remember a fantastic chilli sauce, 750mg salt /100g, less than half the usual.

4 Likes

I don’t know but many products seem to come and go due to consumer demand. If a product doesn’t sell the manufacturer stops making it/or the supermarkets stop shelving the product. When the stop being made, they disappear into the oblivion and become distant memories.

Quite often of we find a good product, such as low salt one, that is marked as clearance at the local supermarket, we will buy up big especially of the products have a very long shelf life. Doing so allows us to enjoy the product for a little longer even though it no longer is available in store.

3 Likes

One product that I’ve switched over to for stir frying and adding to recipes that require butter is Ghee {clarified butter } . Great for stir frying and little , most brands have none , sodium .

3 Likes

Coconut oil is my choice, when frying. Everything tastes better to me

2 Likes