Low foaming washing powder

We have used OMO front load washing powder in our machine for some time. Lately, foam has started to come up through the drain plug in the laundry. Is there any recommendation regarding a low foam powder available please?
Thanks
John Blakey
Perth WA

5 Likes

@john.blakey
If you are using the amount recommended by the manufacturer on the package, I would simply use a lesser quantity. Usually, the recommended amount in my experience is signiftcantly higher than is necessary.
(I have similar experiences with dog food) I am in no way an expert on either matter though.

7 Likes

It is possible you have developed detergent build-up inside the washer or drain that is contributing. Without seeing the exact symptom it could also be a blocked drain causing a backup that appears as suds.

If you are able, check the drain pipe where the washer connects in by running a finger around to detect whether there is a soapy build-up.

Consider washing the washing machine with washing machine cleaner… Both Woolies and Coles have them.

Regardless, if the drain is accessible (as per directions on drain cleaners), you could try a drain cleaner in case it is in the plumbing.

6 Likes

If there is foam coming out of your dog you are definitely feeding too much.

7 Likes

… depends … if its foaming at the mouth I’d suggest a muzzle and an urgent trip to the vet !! but that aside, thanks for making my day :slight_smile: although memories of Cujo - maybe no sleep tonight …

7 Likes

I tend to agree with the comments per @PhilT.

Our experience from two different properties would suggest there is an issue with the drainage.

In one instance the gully/overflow trap was blocked up. This produced leakage and sudsing outside thought the grate. In the other instance there was frothing at the sink plug hole. This was due to a build up in the pipe work carrying the grey water away. Sometimes there are accumulations of hair and lint in the traps, other times an algal slime feeds on the waste and gradually blocks the pipes internally.

There are a variety of products available that may assist. These include biologically active pellets that are intended to introduce slim eating bugs to the blockage, through to harsh chemicals that are intended to either kill the slime or dissolve it. We have found a regular dose of bicarbonate and vinegar helps, as does avoiding washing hair down the plug hole! Something teenagers often seem to not understand?

If nothing has changed with how you wash or the laundry detergent, it may be premature to look to a different product. We do tend to use only half the recommended amount and find it works ok too!

5 Likes

Thanks everyone for sharing their suggestions. I’m going to try the reduced detergent route and if no joy there, I’ll try the bicarb/vinegar.

5 Likes

Often soft water can result in excessive foaming. It may be worth checking if you are on mains/reticulated water, if the local aupplier has changed water sources or changed treatment processes which may have affected the supplied water softness.

Rainwater is if often soft or low in salts can also increase amount of foam generates.

As outlined above, try reducing the amount of detergent used.

If you are also using a general use detergent for both top and front loaders, try one which is specifically for front loaders as these may contain more antifoaming agents (front loaders action results in more foam being generated in a wash).

2 Likes

take the dog to the vet, and while you are there ask why it might be happening to the washing machine?

2 Likes

Periodically (every 6 months-ish), I run a wash cycle with no washing, just a “CLR” type product added to the wash cycle to keep the pipes and drains clear.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for their advice and suggestions. I notice that washing powder is now for top and front loaders so I have flushed the washing machine with a recommended scourer and also used bleach in the drains. Seems to have alleviated the problem.

3 Likes

I recommend regular Tub Clean cycles be used as well. The Tub Clean not only reduces the build up of undissolved powders and left behind residues, it flushes a number of components that rarely see washing fluids other than from spray and spatter eg the top of the non-revolving drum. The Tub Clean uses more water on a fill than a normal cycle to ensure that the liquid gets into those “nooks and crannies”.

1 Like

Past washing machine technicians recommended to us to use less detergent than the detergent manufacturers state should be used. (After all, they are in the business of selling as much as they can). Not only does it help your machine and the environment, it also helps your hip pocket! The washing still comes up clean and fresh.

2 Likes

Choice has also suggested the same for the laundry detergents that they recommend…

"Depending on which laundry detergent you choose, you may be able to use half (yes, half!) the recommended dose and still get a great wash, saving yourself money and giving the environment a bit of a break. In the past we’ve tested top performing laundry detergents and they performed just as well on all stains at half the recommended dose, while others performed well at half the dose on several types of stains.

While we can’t test every dose variation, treat the dosing scoop or cap more like a polite suggestion and experiment with your detergent – you may find you can use a lot less than you think and still get a wash you are happy with."

3 Likes

Not only teenagers! I regularly check outlets for hair.

We had a similar problem with foaming at the floor waste, and our plumber got a special (not expensive) devise and inserted into the floorwaste hole and it stopped the problem. But water can still run into the floor waste hole as normal.

1 Like