Looking for research participants - Effect of extreme weather events on Home & Contents Insurance

Hi everyone,

Have you lived through a natural disaster? Have you been let down by a home insurer? Are you worried about your property being in a natural disaster area?

The campaigns team are looking into the issues around home and contents insurance and extreme weather events such as floods, bushfires, storms & cyclones. We are producing a report that explores the failures of home and contents insurance to help people during tough times.

This would involve an hour long interview with our researcher and you will be given a $100 gift voucher for your time. We want to hear from you or anyone you might know who fits the below categories (you don’t have to tick every box!).

• Have home and contents insurance (owners and renters)
  • Have dropped out of home and contents insurance (owners and renters)
  • Have home and contents insurance with limitations (e.g. excluding flood cover in a flood
  • affected area)
  • Have a low income (but not limited to only those with a low income)
  • Have experienced an extreme weather event in the last 15 years
  • Live in areas deemed at risk of extreme weather e.g. floods, fires, storm, cyclone etc.

At this stage we would particularly love to hear from renters, people in fire affected areas, people on low incomes, people who live in caravans, retirement villages or other living arrangements.

If this sounds like you or someone you know or you have any questions at all, please feel free to get in touch with me, Bea Sherwood, at bsherwood@choice.com.au thanks all!

Note: This topic is not for debating the existence of climate change. We are looking to discuss the impacts that increasingly frequent extreme weather events are having on insurance and consumers.

6 Likes

I live in Port Macquarie on an old canal that was not flooded in March 2021 , is ABOVE the 1 in 100 year flood measurement by Port Macquarie Hastings Council report yet we are grouped with the newer canals that did experience flooding.Seems like we are all grouped as one. Should be assessed like car insurance . From what I heard here many people did not have cover for flood so that was of no expense to the Insurance companies. I consider they are greedy. Ross