Long Threads

Hi, is it possible to add a “scroll to last” button on the mega threads. People come and go and if you come across a title that looks interesting I’m getting blisters swiping down my iPad to get to the latest comment.

It’s not urgent, because people seems to go off topic so often there are topics within topics and the latest posts can be irrelevant to the original post. Could you fix this as well?

Thanks

1 Like

On PC you can click the scroll bar on the right of screen to scroll to the lastest part of a thread. I’m sure someone else who uses a tablet can say where the button is there

3 Likes

Thanks @Peterchu. Hopefully someone can show me where! Cheers.

On a mobile (and likely also desktop) if you click on the light blue indicator that looks like 3 / 3, it should change to a control that lets you jump to different pages of comments

4 Likes

On a desktop, there is a slide bar in the top right of the initial thread screen. One can use the slider or click on the time at the bottom of the slider to jump to the most recent post in that thread.

Edit: Screen shot of the above:

3 Likes

Ahh true. Its the same control as on mobile, just already expanded

6 Likes

An easier way on a PC.

Simply press the “Num Lock” key and then hold the “PgDn” to get to the bottom in no time.

Don’t forget to then press the “Num Lock” button again to reactivate the numerical buttons.

4 Likes

I think the answer to that is not really. The mechanics are very hard to do and in the case where the thread mutates in a good way you wouldn’t want to. There can be also substantial drift which isn’t good. The content is collectively built by hundreds of people so the chances of getting consensus on how to constrain it are not good. I think the moderators here do a pretty good job in trying to reorganise duplicated material while allowing a good bit of freedom.

You won’t find too much thread drift in items about specific products or services. In the broader more philosophical threads you can get much drift but that isn’t all bad as it may be taken in a direction that is more useful and interesting than the originator imagined.

4 Likes

If you wish to skip everything from beginning to end, another way is to click on the ‘last reply’ beneath the first post, and it will take you there.

5 Likes