Login screen shows password eye

I want to purchase a non for profit membership for our retirement village but I don’t want the residents to see the password with the password SHOW eye. has anybody found a way to hide this EYE.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @rico,

Are you using a community PC? Everyone should have their own account, and if that is done others would not be able to see ‘your’ password(s) unless they could login to your account. Community PCs as found in libraries are set up to not remember anything once a session is closed.

To the ‘eye’, used to verify one has entered the correct password when in doubt, it is OS and browser dependent. I presume your are using Windows 10 but which version, Home or Pro, and which browser?

This page describes how to do it for some common PC environments but is dependent on which browser you are using as to whether it will remove the ‘eye’ from logins to sites you visit.

edit: Is your real question that you have a common open PC that everyone will be able to use to access that ‘non profit membership’ but you still want to keep the password secret?

3 Likes

Yes, I want to have one PC in the clubhouse with one non for profit membership for our retirement village. When the website is opened by a resident, I want the login to show, and the password in *** with no password SHOW eye, so all 250 residents can’t go back to there villas and login on there own PC’s. I want them only to use the clubhouse PC. (I don’t want to create 250 accounts).
Rico

Also, if you have cookies enabled (and not set to clear when closing the browser) on the PC, click on ‘remember me’ and log in, it will keep the PC logged in until such time one manually logs out.

This means if someone else uses the PC, they can access the website without needing log in details. However, it may be worth leaving a note saying not to log out and if it isn’t logged in to contact you. Someone may log out from time to time (force of habit) and the PC needs to be logged in again.

1 Like

A caveat - the community is not a tech support site, but some of us have a go from time to time.

You might want to think about this a little harder. Most browsers have easily found options to display the remembered passwords for every site visited. That cannot be disabled without significant technical ability. While every senior might not know about the how to, the web logins and passwords are there for anyone to peruse who is logged on to a respective PC account. In Microsoft Edge it is under ‘Manage Web Credentials’ (use the Windows search box to quickly find it). Removing the ‘eye’ makes it ‘busier’ if someone wants the password, but does not prevent them from finding it.

That being written, I tested the previously supplied method from the link, and at least in the fully updated Windows 10 version I have the setting to disable the ‘eye’ is honoured for PC account logins, but ignored by the browsers. :frowning: It might or might not work as advertised on yours if it is an older level.

The bad news about that is here for Edge and Chrome

https://windowsreport.com/chromium-browsers-reveal-password/

Anyone else?

4 Likes

Perhaps @rico could specifically say what operating system and browser.

Are the residents all using a common shared internet connection that is provided by the retirement village or do they all provide their own internet connection in their own villa?

1 Like

I tried ringing Choice 1800 069 552, the lady said it could NOT be done, but I was not convinced, so the community was my only option. I can use either browser, and I have the latest win 10 updates. All residents have their own internet connections. Thanks Rico

1 Like

So if you log the membership in and you tell the browser not to remember the password, does that solve the problem?

1 Like

With all this info the community has given me, I will test it out and let you know over the next couple of days. Thanks, Rico

2 Likes

I am thinking of what they do in public libraries. I am guessing that they would use scripts to log on and off things.

What if a short log-on script was written that brought up the sign-on form, had the log-on name & password autoload, and registered the go button. It could be triggered by a desktop short-cut. The script could clear the log-on page at exit.

They create a virtual instance, they may log a lot of data eg to ensure compliance with Security requirements and legislation but your passwords, login credentials for sites etc would not usually be kept. On logout out the instance is deleted and any cookies or similar data are lost. The next person who signs on gets a new fresh instance with no residual data available from the last session.

Rico could run an instance that populates the login data but a Browser that uses that info would still be able to be queried for that login. Sharepoint or similar may allow site sharing with Guests being authenticated to share the site that the Admin has access to, this is however beyond the scope of advice that we would normally give here and seeking professional advice is the best answer.

3 Likes