LG V50 ThinQ twin screen smartphone review

Is double the screens really double the fun? See our free review on the LGV50 twin screen smartphone:

5 Likes

I have seen another review, that points out the problem with taking photos when you have two screens. Fold the secondary screen back, and it covers the lens.

The review also does not appear to make clear that the second screen is detachable - merely hinting at the fact in a few different sections.

5 Likes

it is good to see that they haven’t tried the infamous folding screen experiment like Samsung.

5 Likes

Review does not seem to mention what operating system it runs. (Wikipedia says it runs Android 9.0 but I won’t be stumping up $1700 to find out.) The reason that I mention this is the opening comment:

However, it isn’t an Apple iPhone or Samsung product and recent history has shown that because of that, Australian consumers probably won’t give it look, which is a shame.

and I wondered whether LG had really gone off in their own direction.

Looks kinda cool but yeah nah.

If they had made the two screens the same resolution and the same physical size, they might have been able to do more interesting things with it i.e. choice between independent displays or stitched together vertically or horizontally. Even so I think it might take a while before the real benefits of two screens emerge. Certainly I have been annoyed when, say, composing one text message and another partially appears on the screen.

2 Likes

One question, with two screen I expect that the battery life may be compromised
but there is no mention of the battery life in the review
the only mention is the battery capacity. Such information may be useful to the consumer thinking about making such a purchase of an expensive bit of kit.

5 Likes

No, LG is sticking with Android - and I think they go pretty stock with it.

4 Likes

The line from the article you refer to “However, it isn’t an Apple iPhone or Samsung product and recent history has shown that because of that, Australian consumers probably won’t give it look” is about the % of sales of these products not what operating system they use. From an article on https://www.statista.com/topics/4605/smartphone-market-in-australia/ is the following " As of April 2018, Apple and Samsung accounted for more than 75 percent of all smartphones sold in Australia"

Sorry forgot that statista is paywalled and so most won’t see the detail at the Market Share link. I do apologise and will try to find similar stat detail at a free provider.

Try this one if you wish to see detail of what market share most major providers have:

3 Likes

" While the LG V50 ThinQ is available as a single-screen smartphone, sporting a nice bright 6.4-inch OLED screen and support for 5G mobile networks, it’s the secondary 6.2-inch display incorporated into an accessory case that makes this smartphone unique"

&

“Unfortunately, the V50 pack doesn’t include a case for when you want to go single-screen – an oversight, as it’s not as easy to find the right sized case compared to an iPhone or Samsung smartphone. Cases for the previous generation V40 can be used for the V50, highlighting how little the design has changed”

I found that it explained it fairly well that it could be used single screen but LG did not provide a case for that single screen use but a V40 case could be used instead for the V50.

4 Likes

Not stock enough. I got my wife an ‘inexpensive’ LG G6 to replace a dead Google Nexus. She complains regularly about the LG apps that replace the stock Google ones. Next time around, I’ll get something from the android one stable ( most likely a Nokia ).

3 Likes

If she doesn’t like LG apps consider Huawei since they will have increasingly different apps from Google.

In the end game they will be doing nothing but accelerating their development to distance themselves from the long arm of the USA, and it could be fun to try the early examples.

2 Likes